joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28th Minor Icing Event

Isopycnic

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the real threat is more the shady roads.  Even though it got up around 40 today, the pavement is still aob freezing - so just 32 and some precip is all it will take. 

Now down to 32.9 here in Colfax.  I usually get ice on the deck at 32.7.

TW

The wet-bulb even for the airport is 30.8, so we're definitely going to be looking at some freezing rain here in a bit.

I think the real threat is more the shady roads. Even though it got up around 40 today, the pavement is still aob freezing - so just 32 and some precip is all it will take.

Now down to 32.9 here in Colfax. I usually get ice on the deck at 32.7.

TW

You be surprised how quick roads warm up and retain heat. Plus there is alot of salt residue left over on streets shady areas may be some black ice for sure. I just got back in from salting some areas. 34 was lowest temp i had from winston to dobson

VERY ICY over the original sleet/snow pack that remains...esp. in the driveway. Roads looked very sparkly so that may be black ice. Ground a little crunchy but think the best ice occurred in far northern or western Wilkes in regards to trees/ground or w/e.

College finally announced a 2 hour delay! Ready for it to melt now this event is sealed!  :weenie:

Wilbar Fire Department first responders, Wilkes EMS and the Wilkes Rescue Squad responded to a pickup wreck on N.C. 16 North near the intersection with Grindstone Ridge Road on the Blue Ridge escarpment about 6 a.m. today. A spokesman for the Wilbar Fire Department said the pickup was being driven up the mountain when it struck and snapped a power pole in half after sliding on ice.

Meanwhile, the Glendale Springs Fire Department closed N.C. 16 at the top of the mountain near where it crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway and Wilbar firefighters closed it at the bottom of the mountain until N.C. Department of Transportation (DOT) personnel made the highway safer for travel by applying salt.

At 10:30 a.m. today, the Wilkes Communications Center dispatched emergency personnel to unpaved Sampson Mountain Road in response to a report of a gray car being seen about 150 feet down an embankment along the road about a quarter mile from the Watauga County line.

Archived