• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Busting at the seams lol...what is your most memorable storm where you were promised the world and got royally boned?

codfishsnowman

since we are dealing with a storm that promised roses for several days but over the past few days changed its tune and will now deliver dandelions( even to the south it looks like nbd) i thought it might be fun to remember a few of them..

feb 89 in central ct...smoked cirrus while acy got buried and all day long they were still calling for six to ten inches...

march 2001...central ct...ended up with a solid foot but they were predicting 20 to 30 inches and the state of emergency and all that nonesense and the first part of the storm was an inch or so of mixed precip, the good snow didnt really get going until later monday afternoon.

feb 2010...six to ten inches forecast and got less than an inch with heavy snow forecasted all day even after the first flakes started falling and the radar was shredding incessantly as the precip tried to come north...spfd mass

dec 2009...six to ten forecasted here...got two inches as models and forecasters underestimated the northern extent of the heavy snow....spfd mass

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it's a great season like 2001, my first in CT, you want it to get better and better. After a 9 On Jan 20 th, a 15 on Feb 5 and a 17 on March 5 th I wanted more. On March 9 th what started as a dumper with 8-16 forecasted turned into a SWFE with rain. I got 5 but interior elevation were well over a foot. That one stung as it was a final pack adder. The saving grace however for me was I was skiing in Maine for the Feb and March absolute bombs. But each time I came home to a great pack. My introduction to my SWFE climo was not pretty. I figured my new location was golden but have since learned differently in that setup.

I remember once in the 80s a powerful ocean low was just missing offshore.  Well someone decided it was a good time to test either the radar or the reflective material so they dumped a bunch of stuff off Ptown from a plane.  Bruce Showegler was watching the Chatham radar and saw it.  Broke in the coverage to report heavy, heavy snow wrapping back into Boston.  Radar looked awesome.   Broke back in less than hour later to say that the air force or whatever had called into reported they'd dumped reflective material from a plane.

I remember once in the 80s a powerful ocean low was just missing offshore.  Well someone decided it was a good time to test either the radar or the reflective material so they dumped a bunch of stuff off Ptown from a plane.  Bruce Showegler was watching the Chatham radar and saw it.  Broke in the coverage to report heavy, heavy snow wrapping back into Boston.  Radar looked awesome.   Broke back in less than hour later to say that the air force or whatever had called into reported they'd dumped reflective material from a plane.

LOL I remember the chaff night, lol I had forgot all about that. It was a total psyche. Good times. If that happened today omg.

That one above was March 2001 I think.  Was a bust.

This one was a bust too if I recall.  The wrap around never occurred, they even had dry slots back in 95.

March '01 wasn't a bust in the interior...there was actually a lot of sleet in BOS in that one. We had about 2 feet back here.

It did under perform though a bit despite that. It was progged to be more impressive overall. But for here, I could never put a top 10 snowfall as a bust. If we had gotten 10" then maybe. For BOS it was a pretty disappointign storm though despite them getting around 10"

March '01 wasn't a bust in the interior...there was actually a lot of sleet in BOS in that one. We had about 2 feet back here.

It did under perform though a bit despite that. It was progged to be more impressive overall. But for here, I could never put a top 10 snowfall as a bust. If we had gotten 10" then maybe. For BOS it was a pretty disappointign storm though despite them getting around 10"

Ha was hoping you'd chime in....I can't remember last week figured you'd remember those systems.  Am I right on 12/19/95?  Is that the one I remember Ghiorse and company talking about the ULL never spinning in?

Ha was hoping you'd chime in....I can't remember last week figured you'd remember those systems.  Am I right on 12/19/95?  Is that the one I remember Ghiorse and company talking about the ULL never spinning in?

Yeah that one was disappointing...the ULL did come in and give us all snow the next day, but it was a very fluffy 2-3" of additional snow....not the raging CCB that was thought about 12-18 hours before. I think I had about 8.5" total in that one despite forecasts of 1-2 feet. We actually had a rare Blizzard Watch in effect for that one, but they never upgraded to a warning as the signs were showing it wouldn't be amazing as we got very close to the event....still most agencies were going for a solid 12-18" even after they knew the mega 18-24" was unlikely. The south shore got a lot of OES I recall though....S Weymouth had like 18-22" in that in a small band.

These dates tend to make me toss

Jan 20, 2000

Jan 22-23, 2005

Dec 26-27, 2010

2009-10 every event

I remember Jan 20, 2000....that was a 948mb just offshore. There was a couple NGM (remember that model?) runs that gave 4" of qpf to BOS which made everyone go nuts because the NGM is usually conservative and dry. It even brought like 2" back to the CT River. In the end it went too far east and only the Cape got over 6"....but you had to go way tot he eastern Cape IIRC. Most of us got 2-4" and probably less west of the river.

Lol, I have my NE.weather post from Feb 2001

2/9/01

I traveled to Newry, Maine on Sunday the 4th to ski at Sunday River

Maine all week. What a week!! When we arrived, I being the weather

geek, took the usual ten measurements of snow cover in undrifted areas

and found they had 19.5" of depth on Sunday. Then came a snowstorm I

will remember for a very long time. I took very careful measurements

and did all the right things, snowboard, wiped clean after 4" etc. I

was totally amazed to find we had 11" in a 70 minute period!! After the

storm I measured 32" total new with a depth of 48" after settling.

Blizzard like conditions were common. Tuesday continued with ground

blizzards and winds were even stronger on Wednesday on the mountain. We

were on a chairlift when a gust came roaring thru from the direction of

MT Washington and blew us sideways(they closed the lift after that)felt

about 70-80 mph. The entire storm , which I consider to be three days

due to the constant blowing and drifting, was just amazing. Watching

the snow fall, the trees wildly swinging, the wind howling, and the

spruces bowing to the weight of 3' of snow was spectacular and made me

realize why I love winter so much. Not to mention the sking was Western

Powder at an Eastern Resort. Just an incredible week which ended today

with heavy sleet and ice as we were leaving. We took the scenic route

home and I can confirm the Gorham NH totals of 37" Wow what a sight. I

forgot to mention the fact that one area of the eight Mountain Peaks at

Sunday River always receives greater snow than the other peaks, this

area called the Jordan Bowl had 42" new according to the Hotel Manager,

and I believe him, the softest dryest snow I have seen, even when I

fell, I didn't get wet! Look forward to the next snowstorm but tonight

here in RI I am waiting for the high winds and quick freeze. Note to

Mr. Bastardi, nice of you to mention me today. 46 days of

snowcover and still counting

I remember Jan 20, 2000....that was a 948mb just offshore. There was a couple NGM (remember that model?) runs that gave 4" of qpf to BOS which made everyone go nuts because the NGM is usually conservative and dry. It even brought like 2" back to the CT River. In the end it went too far east and only the Cape got over 6"....but you had to go way tot he eastern Cape IIRC. Most of us got 2-4" and probably less west of the river.

My records say snow from 7:45am to 4pm amounting to a whopping one inch.

Archived