• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January 25-26 Storm Potential

powderfreak

All you've done for a couple of days/storms is tool on the weenies that post here, twitter and elsewhere. But you're still reading it. When you're worrying about the credibility of guys like Noyes....I'd be more worried about the crankiness myself.

Z.

Yes, it's lack of sleep. New kids will do that to you but we've all been through it. But we've all noticed it I think.

I haven't tooled on anyone except those making ridiculous calls since it is irresponsible and gets people unnessarily excited. When you were posting about all the models being a whiff, all we kept saying was to give it another day. Of course nobody should expect a KU, but a 1-3 or 2-4 for BOS was very much possible.

Ive seen these patterns before which made me continue to hold course for a little snow.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't tooled on anyone except those making ridiculous calls since it is irresponsible and gets people unnessarily excited. When you wee posting about all the models being a whiff, all we kept saying was I give it another day. Of course nobody should expect a KU, but a 1-3 or 2-4 for BOS was very much possible.

Ive seen these patterns before which made me continue to hold course for a little snow.

Scott, I know.  But I am not responsible for what people here or elsewhere think.   If I never said a word there would have been people jumping left and right.  And I stressed here and elsewhere don't give up yet, particularly in E SE areas.  People were busy jumping off the ship before I signed on this morning.

There seems to be this concept that what's written here has some influence over what happens.  You take exception to what I write, but not Kevin talking about 4-8" of snow every day since thanksgiving?  It's the same thing, I really don't think either of us influence anyone.  JMHO.  Maybe your kidding I don't know, but lately you've been hard to gauge and I think others have noted it.

I think the most likely scenario still involves a scrape.  The 12z Euro Ens is the most interesting piece of guidance in the last 3 events to me.  But I can't get too excited about a run of the GFS when it's been prone to overjumping.  I hope it continues, I really do.

I haven't tooled on anyone except those making ridiculous calls since it is irresponsible and gets people unnessarily excited. When you were posting about all the models being a whiff, all we kept saying was to give it another day. Of course nobody should expect a KU, but a 1-3 or 2-4 for BOS was very much possible.

If I lived in Boston I'd be pretty cranky and down on winter... not to mention the fact some of the calls from mets and weenies have been outraegous of late.

Boston has had virtually no exciting weather since January 2011. They've been screwed on severe weather.... Irene and Sandy were like a pleasant breeze off the Harbor, the October supersnow was a cold rain and anything that has falled in terms of snow lately has screwed eastern Mass. 

If I lived in Boston I'd be pretty cranky and down on winter... not to mention the fact some of the calls from mets and weenies have been outraegous of late.

Boston has had virtually no exciting weather since January 2011. They've been screwed on severe weather.... Irene and Sandy were like a pleasant breeze off the Harbor, the October supersnow was a cold rain and anything that has falled in terms of snow lately has screwed eastern Mass. 

LOL I am sure they needed that reminder, geezus

this data coming onshore thing is such a weenie myth.

of course if there was some ridiculously dense sounding grid that covered all of the west coast and up into canada and balloons were launched all the time and airplanes just flew all over that airspace covering every inch...then yes...yes that would make sense.

but the idea that a piece of energy comes ashore is suddenly sampled so much better is just wrong. once in a weenie-while it might happen. I'd never say it can't but this is one of these 20 or 30 year old weather model ideas.

if it were actually true that the satellite and aircraft data assimilation sucked that bad over the Pacific...none of the models would work. they'd be all f=ed up all the time.

This.   This doesn't really seem to be much of an issue.  There does seem to be a tune upwards to s/w strength exiting the Rockies, not sure why though.

The Noyes solution seems very unlikely at this point.  The system would have to jump NW and it has to intensify significantly.  Even if these aren't independant events its tough to think that the models are this far off on the intensity and the trajectory.

Actually, the models are not that far off at all.  It won't take that much to at least get a partial phase leading to a more amped, closer in system.  The tailing shortwave either needs to speed up a litttle, or a slightly deeper ridge out west is all that it would take.  This is not far off from a 'moderate' snowstorm at all.

This is all true, we're all kind of cranky.  now we're freezing our balls off and cranky.

Scott just wants Brady gone...

LOL.

I think we're all cranky, let's bring the snow.

Scott by the way the NOGAPs stopped going SE :)   It was a ORH rule about the NOGAPs.  If it went in one direction for more than 3 or 4 runs that was the signal.  It went east east east east....now maybe a bit NW.  THAT's why I mentioned it.  He's talked about it many times (his rule) over the years and it appears to be valid.

This.   This doesn't really seem to be much of an issue.  There does seem to be a tune upwards to s/w strength exiting the Rockies, not sure why though.

I think the "Pacific" issue is not really an issue. I think it's more like once the shortwaves move ashore we're generally within 72 hours or so and the models in general do a much much better job handling things. 

I think the "Pacific" issue is not really an issue. I think it's more like once the shortwaves move ashore we're generally within 72 hours or so and the models in general do a much much better job handling things. 

Yep that's my thought.  The guys out on the west coast probably note that once a s/w crosses some boundary in the Pacific things ramp up...guys in the central US probably say it's the Pac coast.  I almost think it's something in the math behind the models that smooths out observations at init.  So instead of them picking right up on a suddenly "stronger" s/w, it takes a few runs.  Not sure on that though.

Scott, I know. But I am not responsible for what people here or elsewhere think. If I never said a word there would have been people jumping left and right. And I stressed here and elsewhere don't give up yet, particularly in E SE areas. People were busy jumping off the ship before I signed on this morning.

There seems to be this concept that what's written here has some influence over what happens. You take exception to what I write, but not Kevin talking about 4-8" of snow every day since thanksgiving? It's the same thing, I really don't think either of us influence anyone. JMHO. Maybe your kidding I don't know, but lately you've been hard to gauge and I think others have noted it.

I think the most likely scenario still involves a scrape. The 12z Euro Ens is the most interesting piece of guidance in the last 3 events to me. But I can't get too excited about a run of the GFS when it's been prone to overjumping. I hope it continues, I really do.

Where have you been? LOL every day I take exception to what Kevin writes.

I'm never mean. Find me a post where I insulted someone. The day I do that is the day I leave the board. Once in a while I may have a strong opinion, but I'll do it in a classy way. The DT way of doing things is not me.

It's all good, everyone is getting impatient. If I get a dusting, I'll be sure to give you props. I'm never afraid to bust and I'll give props when needed.

Considering all the above, I'm amazingly patient.

Actually, the models are not that far off at all.  It won't take that much to at least get a partial phase leading to a more amped, closer in system.  The tailing shortwave either needs to speed up a litttle, or a slightly deeper ridge out west is all that it would take.  This is not far off from a 'moderate' snowstorm at all.

Thanks for the pep-talk.  Even if the two systems phase up better/earlier won't the storm still need to shift NW geographically?  What I'm asking is does the partial phasing imply a closer system or do we need two independant fortunate events.

this data coming onshore thing is such a weenie myth.

of course if there was some ridiculously dense sounding grid that covered all of the west coast and up into canada and balloons were launched all the time and airplanes just flew all over that airspace covering every inch...then yes...yes that would make sense.

but the idea that a piece of energy comes ashore is suddenly sampled so much better is just wrong. once in a weenie-while it might happen. I'd never say it can't but this is one of these 20 or 30 year old weather model ideas.

if it were actually true that the satellite and aircraft data assimilation sucked that bad over the Pacific...none of the models would work. they'd be all f=ed up all the time.

No, it's not and you are correct about this.  there are papers written about this. 

Archived