Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Flaking Our Way Into MLK Weekend 1/17-1/18

Clinch Leatherwood

HAVE INSERTED CHC POPS FOR THE SE

COAST/CAPE/ISLANDS AS THIS IS WHERE THE BETTER LIFT IS ASSOCIATED.

BECAUSE OF THE STRONG COLD AIR PUSHING THROUGH...PRECIP TYPE WILL

BE MAINLY SNOW...WHERE ACCUMS COULD REACH BETWEEN 1-3 INCHES.

TEMPS OVERNIGHT WILL DROP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS TO MID TEENS FOR

THE FIRST OF SEVERAL ARCTIC BLASTS.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I agree going to be tough for most of us but I think Phil/cweat may have some fun.

Yup... I think it could turn into a decent storm for the Cape but it's going to have a pretty sharp edge.

I would prefer to see some super-amped ensemble members but there's not much. Watch the GEFS/SREFs going forward. The trend wil be important.

Non ncep guidance is a non hit but the 6z rgem was a glancing blow. If ncep guidance timing is off in the southern stream it'll be nothing.

6z gfs had about 1/2 the members as a cape hit of some sort with only 2 misses. Definitely trended better. Sref is posted here.

We will know very early in the runs today. Personally I want to see more evidence of a potent northern s/w too. Kind of lost that st 6z but made up for it with a stronger southern system.

Two things in our favor. 1 models usually blow the strength of these southern energy bundles, 2 this year they've been too fast with the cold at all ranges. Should give us a few more hours. A more potent northern system and we could see a pretty sharp change in modeling at 12z to a bigger event. Timing changes the other way and poof.

Only thing holding me back is no non ncep support.

the precipitation shield looks further west, getting the cape into the 0.5 qpf.. still far off but nice to see the west trend continue for them.

Looks like the 0.5" contour is limited to ACK and MVY, but it's oh so close to CC.  0.25" contour is on a line from BOS/PVD.  0.1" contour goes from S ME/NYC.

I just wont have any confidence until we see non NCEP guidance come into the fold.

NAM is south again with the closed contour low in the deep south, 3rd run in a row. Maybe a tiny bit weaker than the 6z early on.

Ec ens mean was nw again. IIRC the 0.05" line made it to BOS so there must be a couple of weenie members in there.

Heh, 1 run away from full blown wood. If this one pans out I need to send ginxy a fruitcake. I expect the southern s/w to come in stronger and stronger. It's coming.

Similar to 12/29 with respect to s/w intensification issues on guidance. Only difference is this storm has strong incoming CAA to contend with.

I could see the cape doing well. NW of 95 will be tough IMO.

It's really close, and I don't trust the NAM outside of 36

If the northern stream gets out ahead at all we're cooked.  

NAM is more amplified on the front side which is good, through 36.  But the slower models were misses for the most part in earlier runs.  Different evolution this time.  But there appears to be less interaction so I think we'll see it hit the wall trying to come up on this run of the NAM unless it does something funky.

HAVE INSERTED CHC POPS FOR THE SE
COAST/CAPE/ISLANDS AS THIS IS WHERE THE BETTER LIFT IS ASSOCIATED.
BECAUSE OF THE STRONG COLD AIR PUSHING THROUGH...PRECIP TYPE WILL
BE MAINLY SNOW...WHERE ACCUMS COULD REACH BETWEEN 1-3 INCHES.
TEMPS OVERNIGHT WILL DROP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS TO MID TEENS FOR
THE FIRST OF SEVERAL ARCTIC BLASTS.

Ooooo baby

It's really close, and I don't trust the NAM outside of 36

If the northern stream gets out ahead at all we're cooked.  

NAM is more amplified on the front side which is good, through 36.  But the slower models were misses for the most part in earlier runs.  Different evolution this time.  But there appears to be less interaction so I think we'll see it hit the wall trying to come up on this run of the NAM unless it does something funky.

Differences look negligible to 06z thru the same time frame.  Maybe a hair slower on the southern energy.  Heights ahead of the southern vort are higher so it may end up slightly better.

Archived