• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Jan 20-24 storm window opens (Jan 22 potential)

Typhoon Tip

~Not with temps at 31/16 and upper levels at -10C and lower. I think it'll be plenty fluffy.

Theres BL problems for sure on the 12z GFS. Much lower ratios. Especially mid cape eastward up to the immediate shore in far SE PYM county. Not rain, but way lower ratios which COULD imply a more even spread from the cape to Boston than is expected. Just my take

Maybe some drops from CHH out to ACK

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not like an isothermal 0C layer

It looks like a real shallow layer at the surface. But with a SE/ESE wind for a period of time, I gotta think parts of the cape will struggle with accum for a period monday night

If its spitting precip then that's possible...from CHH up to PVC...but if its spitting precip the event has failed or the show hasn't started.

We've had way way worse set ups stay all frozen and accumulate out here.

BL is not a concern.

If its spitting precip then that's possible...from CHH up to PVC...but if its spitting precip the event has failed or the show hasn't started.

BL is not a concern.

Yeah for sure, but seeing 2m temps at 37 in CHH (33 for PVC) is worrying, coming during the core of the precip. http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KCHH

As sbos_wx said, SREF and HRRR would argue for warning criteria in much of southeast MA

Tougher call for Boston metro right in-between the 2 maxes... 2-4 is safe with potential for busting higher

I'm really curious if someone can explain to me how the snow forecast in Boston usually differs from a suburb north or south of the city. I really hope this isn't an ignorant question, just trying to learn ;)

I'm thinking 2-4'' for us, easy forecast. A little too far W of the jackpot, but still east enough for a few inches.

I'll take it give we have snow cover now and will add more Friday.

Who knows though - maybe that jackpot comes a little further west.  A weenie can hope...

BL is not a concern.

Yeah for sure, but seeing 2m temps at 37 in CHH (33 for PVC) is worrying, coming during the core of the precip. http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KCHH

The actual soundings are basically 32/33 for a short time at CHH. It's fine. You can have 32F snow not be soaked too.

BL is not a concern.

The actual soundings are basically 32/33 for a short time at CHH. It's fine. You can have 32F snow not be soaked too.

That last event that you referenced was a whole different animal...torched for like 2500' up

You better crop your map's northern side---that angling of your 3-6" extrapolates over to the Pit.  You shouldn't play with one's emotions, Quincy.  :)

It probably cuts right back to the north and east, but we'll have to watch the banding very closely.  :)

I'm really curious if someone can explain to me how the snow forecast in Boston usually differs from a suburb north or south of the city. I really hope this isn't an ignorant question, just trying to learn ;)

I'll defer to someone else re: general climatology of the city vs. north/south suburbs. Not sure general statements can be made.

But for this particular event, the forecast maps on the higher resolution models tell it all.

There are 2 bands of max snowfall, one in southeast NH into the North Shore, the other over the Cape / Southeast MA. Boston metro sits right in between these 2 bands, and may be just slightly too far west to cash in on the heavier snow.

The top band is related to location of a meso-low and the bottom related to location of the best convergence, and you can see those 2 features on this windmap of the 12z Nam:

Archived