Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Lake Effect Snow Potential 1/30- 2/06

Jonger

Nice pics.

Very wintry day here. Roads were a nightmare as it was so cold the powder just caked right on. The I-94 band did set up shop for a while, and while it wasnt a steady stream of heavy snow, it would snow hard, stop, snow hard, stop, etc. Had a total snowfall today of 1.3" imby with 0.05" water content. Snow depth has settled to exactly 1". I am thinking some spots near Ann Arbor probably saw 2". Really, not that bad considering the dry arctic origin of the air and the fact this was 100% lake effect snow. Will be interesting to see if this light, fresh snowcover does anything for plummeting temps tonight. Brutal wind chills, DTX says tomorrow will be the coldest day since Feb 4, 2009. So happy we have some white for it.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have received around 10" since late last night. Visibility has remained under a mile most of the day today.Temp is 9. Went out riding the trails but didn't stay long because of visibility (rode 42 miles).

Current snow depth is between 12-14" on the ground

1-21-13.JPG

1-21-121.JPG

Amazing pics. Love it there. Puts my 1" today to shame.

I thought would head up today but that got delayed a couple days. By the time I head back up there will ge close to 20" on the ground.

I thought would head up today but that got delayed a couple days. By the time I head back up there will ge close to 20" on the ground.

Yeah..but think of how nice it is to have that fresh snowcover here thanks to the Lake. Wind chills to -45F tonight in MN...with NO snow on the ground. Yikes.

snowing so hard i can't see my mailbox. with re: to LE, radar lies... lol

possibility of 20" on the ground here by morning if things go just right.

snowing so hard i can't see my mailbox. with re: to LE, radar lies... lol

possibility of 20" on the ground here by morning if things go just right.

Are you keeping tabs on how much snow falls versus how much is on the ground? (measuring every 6 hrs). You know how this lake effect is...20" on the ground means 30"+ has fallen!

Are you keeping tabs on how much snow falls versus how much is on the ground? (measuring every 6 hrs). You know how this lake effect is...20" on the ground means 30"+ has fallen!

I'm way too scattered to keep detailed tabs like that. I'm thinking if I can get a quick 5 or 6 tonight, I will briefly have a 20"depth. it does settle quick,i've noticed! By this Sunday I expect to have 2'

I noticed that being up there last week. Snow settles down fast.

Its about water content. I had 1.3" today (1.0" at 1230pm when i cleared board then 0.3" after that) and the depth is now 1.0". The deeper the LES is the faster it settles too. Once our late-December snowpack settled to 4-5" it didnt really budge much (more water) until the torch took over. On Jan 6th we had a high/low of 36F/33F, so we didnt even hit freezing all day, yet the evening depth of 4" was the same as the morning depth. We may not hit 10F tomorrow but our snow will probably settle a bit more.

I'm way too scattered to keep detailed tabs like that. I'm thinking if I can get a quick 5 or 6 tonight, I will briefly have a 20"depth. it does settle quick,i've noticed! By this Sunday I expect to have 2'

The weather observer in me is anal about keeping tabs....Id go nuts living in a lake effect belt :lol:. But there are other observers in the area Im sure that can give you and idea of what fell...just enjoy the snow!

The weather observer in me is anal about keeping tabs....Id go nuts living in a lake effect belt :lol:. But there are other observers in the area Im sure that can give you and idea of what fell...just enjoy the snow!

haha.... I know you are meticulous about measurment and recording :) , but mine is very unofficial.I use a yard stick and measure in several areas and average from there.

there's an offocial observer 2 miles from me tho.

Have received around 10" since late last night. Visibility has remained under a mile most of the day today.Temp is 9. Went out riding the trails but didn't stay long because of visibility (rode 42 miles).

Current snow depth is between 12-14" on the ground

attachicon.gif

Guess I was pretty close in my estimate of snow depth. East Jordan is 8 miles from here.

0746 PM SNOW EAST JORDAN 45.16N 85.13W

01/21/2013 M8.0 INCH CHARLEVOIX MI SPOTTER

24 HR TOTAL THRU 7 PM. SNOW DEPTH 14 IN.

&&

Nice totals in Jackson etc ( per GRR ) where 3-4 fell which is about my total here so far ( 4" ) oddly enough. Don't have the usual fluff with this event which has kept totals in check despite some nice banding which dumped pretty good around here earlier in the day. The sun ended up making a brief visit in the late afternoon between bands. Hopefully we can score a couple of more inches before this all ends on Wednesday.

Now it is a bone chilling 7 with a windchill of -9 and some pixie dusting snow flying in the air.

Congrats Harry. Not a bad total at all for BC, especially if you end up with 6".

Thanks. I am happy with it. Pretty much on target with expectations. And ofcourse finally broke through the 3+ barrier. lol

Can you imagine though if we had the north flow with this? Or heck just a lil more juice. This is sick.. Thus why i saved it.

post-90-0-11351300-1358819789_thumb.gif

Hopefully you guys can score something later in the week.

Thanks. I am happy with it. Pretty much on target with expectations. And ofcourse finally broke through the 3+ barrier. lol

Can you imagine though if we had the north flow with this? Or heck just a lil more juice. This is sick.. Thus why i saved it.

attachicon.gifJan21st2013ExtremeInstabilityOverLake.gif

Hopefully you guys can score something later in the week.

If there was North flow with that, they'd probably close the freeways between Gary and New Buffalo.

Nice totals in Jackson etc ( per GRR ) where 3-4 fell which is about my total here so far ( 4" ) oddly enough. Don't have the usual fluff with this event which has kept totals in check despite some nice banding which dumped pretty good around here earlier in the day. The sun ended up making a brief visit in the late afternoon between bands. Hopefully we can score a couple of more inches before this all ends on Wednesday.

Now it is a bone chilling 7 with a windchill of -9 and some pixie dusting snow flying in the air.

Passing through this evening, looked like up to maybe 6" near the Lakeshore mall along 94?? Funny, never see any official reports from BC on GRR's site. What, nobody (not even the airport) is willing to be an observer? Just about 3" here so far on the day. Always nice to see places an entire county east of me somehow got more! At least I'm in double digits for the season. Hoping our winter is just getting into its stride...

Almost stationary LES streamer off Lake Huron over downtown Toronto. They probably have an inch or so down. Nada here in the west end.  

it's right on that lake-generated trough. that's about the only way they get them in from that direction. but some of the temps up north in central are even quite cold. but nothing like yyu, yts, ymt, and such this morning.

it's right on that lake-generated trough. that's about the only way they get them in from that direction. but some of the temps up north in central are even quite cold. but nothing like yyu, yts, ymt, and such this morning.

I had one in December of 2010 that dropped 4.5". Not common but they do occur. 4km WRF has this thing shifting south gradually, but it might be slow enough in moving to drop several inches. Hopefully I can get a coating as it collapses.

I had one in December of 2010 that dropped 4.5". Not common but they do occur. 4km WRF has this thing shifting south gradually, but it might be slow enough in moving to drop several inches. Hopefully I can get a coating as it collapses.

just seen some traffic cams. Amazing how the snow cuts off just west of Yonge street

Archived