joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lake Effect Snow Potential 1/30- 2/06

Jonger

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like a parade of clippers may be in the offing too. Probably no big ones, and hopefully varying tracks so all can get in on them...but should we make this a clipper/LES thread? Since patterns like this often can produce several weak disturbances leading to a little synoptic, lake enhanced, and pure lake effect snow.

It looks like a parade of clippers may be in the offing too. Probably no big ones, and hopefully varying tracks so all can get in on them...but should we make this a clipper/LES thread? Since patterns like this often can produce several weak disturbances leading to a little synoptic, lake enhanced, and pure lake effect snow.

I'm sure there will be clipper specific threads, but I really want to focus on the lake belts/recreation areas more so than cities.

This x 1,000!

wnw/west is where it is at for W.MI..

My main concern would be moisture supply. Without that we are dead in the water here in W.MI.

That has been the issue all winter and MUCH of the past several winters. Every time I read the GRR discussion, I can expect to see a "not much moisture for lake effect" comment. Tiresome.

That has been the issue all winter and MUCH of the past several winters. Every time I read the GRR discussion, I can expect to see a "not much moisture for lake effect" comment. Tiresome.

Why i no longer get excited about LES unless i see a closed off L sitting up in N.MI/Superior that is NOT hauling @ss away.

Several things. That is one. -NAO can cause it was well..

Wow. Growing up in PA, hearing there was a negative NAO was usually a good thing, because the deep trough over the east usually brought good storms along the coast. It makes perfect sense though, since we would probably be in North flow here. We haven't had much of a -NAO the past couple years much, have we? I don't recall there being much.

Wow. Growing up in PA, hearing there was a negative NAO was usually a good thing, because the deep trough over the east usually brought good storms along the coast. It makes perfect sense though, since we would probably be in North flow here. We haven't had much of a -NAO the past couple years much, have we? I don't recall there being much.

I hear you. Originally from Philly and lived in the mid Atlantic till i was 31 or so. Both 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 had a -NAO but 09-10 it was pretty severe and thus the record setting/epic snows in the DC/Baltimore/Philly areas..

IF it is a east based -NAO it is not as bad for us. Once in a great while it can pay off ala Jan Blizz of 78. That is a rare exception though..

If there is a more northerly flow later next week is there any hints of a Lake Superior connection? Maybe Blackrock & West MI can catch a band hugging the shoreline for awhile.

They wont catch jack with a northerly flow. Trust me on that. Unless a meso low gets involved i supposed.

If there is a more northerly flow later next week is there any hints of a Lake Superior connection? Maybe Blackrock & West MI can catch a band hugging the shoreline for awhile.

They wont catch jack with a northerly flow. Trust me on that. Unless a meso low gets involved i supposed.

Being at the max extent inland for LES, you probably need a perfectly west wind.... For Allegan, this flow would suffice.

Maybe I should emphasize: north-northwest direction.

That sounding that Thunder Road put up looks good!

Yes, I have seen some good snow showers here on a north northwest wind. As long as there is some westerly component to them. I live a little south of Muskegon and north of Grand Haven and Spring Lake village. A north northwest wind oftens brings the snow showers JUST into our area. I have experienced a couple north northwest events here. Muskegon city itself is a bit too far north and sometimes gets missed while the south side of town (Norton Shores, Grand Haven, and Spring Lake) get clipped by decent snow showers. The main band in a north northwest flow usually hits moreso around Holland and southward. Add the westerly component and that can change.

Nice to see John Dee throwing some pink up on a map finally this winter. I have the itch to get back to the UP to ride some LES belt trails.

Looks like its time to put Lake Effect chatter in its own thread. Looks like a very active 15 days for Lake Belts. Here's a starter: Keep in mind that Johndee always lowballs the lower peninsula.

5-10.GIF

Being at the max extent inland for LES, you probably need a perfectly west wind.... For Allegan, this flow would suffice.

Here we can work with wsw, west, and ofcourse wnw which is the desired flow for here. Can also catch some off of nw ( see last winter which actually had a couple of these which dropped 4-6 across Battle Creek ) but usually start riding the line.

Again i have seen enough nnw flow events to know that outside of Van Buren, Southern/western Allegan, and once in a great while sw Kalamazoo NOBODY else gets jack except the points. Yes once in a RARE while we will get a band to hug the shoreline and clip Muskegon but again that is not the norm and it usually does not last long.

Maybe I should emphasize: north-northwest direction.

That sounding that Thunder Road put up looks good!

Same thing. It hardly does anyone good here in W.MI except the areas i mentioned above. The desired flow in the GRR area is west/wnw or wsw.

Here is a classic nnw flow event.

SnowMap20040130_0000.png

Another NNW..

SnowMap20080227_0700.png

A NNW Flow event that went westerly but faded as it came inland.

SnowMap20101205_1200.png

NNW Flow

SnowMap20040118_1200.png

Now here is west flow LES/Lake enhanced.

SnowMap20091209_0000.png

Here is that nw flow event i mentioned..

SnowMap20111110_1200.png

NW Flow

SnowMap20070217_1200.png

Archived