Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Lake Effect Snow Potential 1/30- 2/06

Jonger

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So for NNW, South Haven is a likely jackpot zone.

Big difference in terms of coverage with the W events.

Yeah, pretty much. Harry posted some great examples. I as you can see from all of his examples of NNW, I get SOME LES, but not the brunt of it. I live in the area of SW Muskegon County and Northwest Ottawa County, which as you can see from the maps, does much better than even Muskegon itself. My area tends to get hit by many of the different flows for LES, but SW and West flows are the best for here. WNW is probably the third best. In north flow, we go to the beach and stare at DARK clouds a couple miles out. :)

So for NNW, South Haven is a likely jackpot zone.

Big difference in terms of coverage with the W events.

Yeah.. Usually somewhere between there and Benton Harbor is jackpot with those events.

I definitely like the west flow best, doesn't reap the same max totals... but spreads the love out more.

Not unless it is late Dec 2001 or Jan 99 following the blizzard! Ofcourse those lasted several days+ and thus rare.

GRR seems a bit more optimistic about perhaps a couple inches of lake effect snow over the next couple of days. I am a bit confused as to where they see this on models. Or is it more of their own prediction based off of west winds and some available moisture?

Later tonight/early tomorrow we could get some LES and then again in the middle of the week but that is not looking overly impressive to me. Surface low tracks WAY to far to the nw which means so does our moisture source. Could get some enhancement off the lake with the front i suppose?

Later tonight/early tomorrow we could get some LES and then again in the middle of the week but that is not looking overly impressive to me. Surface low tracks WAY to far to the nw which means so does our moisture source. Could get some enhancement off the lake with the front i suppose?

Do you think it could be enough tonight to cover the ground? I read GRR recent discussion about how normally tonight into tomorrow would have been a great event, BUT.........

I am biting my tongue.

That's a pretty good sounding for LES is it not?

NAM_218_2013011318_F45_43.0000N_86.0000W

Unfortunately, not really. Some things to look for are:

1. Inversions at least at 7-8k feet if not higher (it looks to be around 4k feet on that sounding)

2. Good moisture through the mixed layer and preferably above it too to help seed the lake effect (there is some moisture in the mixed layer but not great...quite dry above it)

3. Little speed or directional shear. There is over 30 knots of shear between the surface and 700mb...which will help shear lake effect.

That type of sounding would probably produce light snow showers but rates wouldn't be decent. Given it's lake effect and there is moisture and lift into the DGZ though there would probably be some ok sized flakes, but they wouldn't really come down hard.

That's a pretty good sounding for LES is it not?

NAM_218_2013011318_F45_43.0000N_86.0000W

The natural tendency is for air to blow from high pressure to low pressure, or from cold to warm.  With a surface wind of only ~ 5 knots, the west wind can't overcome the landbreeze, so you end up with bands that hardly penetrate inland, or more likely, a mesolow over the lower lake.  Ideally, you're looking for surface winds between 10 and 25 knots, as well as the factors OHweather mentioned, like minimal speed and directional shear and good moisture.

Unfortunately, not really. Some things to look for are:

1. Inversions at least at 7-8k feet if not higher (it looks to be around 4k feet on that sounding)

2. Good moisture through the mixed layer and preferably above it too to help seed the lake effect (there is some moisture in the mixed layer but not great...quite dry above it)

3. Little speed or directional shear. There is over 30 knots of shear between the surface and 700mb...which will help shear lake effect.

That type of sounding would probably produce light snow showers but rates wouldn't be decent. Given it's lake effect and there is moisture and lift into the DGZ though there would probably be some ok sized flakes, but they wouldn't really come down hard.

The natural tendency is for air to blow from high pressure to low pressure, or from cold to warm.  With a surface wind of only ~ 5 knots, the west wind can't overcome the landbreeze, so you end up with bands that hardly penetrate inland, or more likely, a mesolow over the lower lake.  Ideally, you're looking for surface winds between 10 and 25 knots, as well as the factors OHweather mentioned, like minimal speed and directional shear and good moisture.

Thanks for the explanations. Still learning on how to read soundings!

Keep the reports coming Bo...

Looks like Sat-Sun is going to POUND northern lower... I'll be up friday night or early saturday for the weekend.

I'm really hoping either eastern UP or northern lower will have somewhere with decent snow before then, sounds like we are getting close.

Looks like Sat-Sun is going to POUND northern lower... I'll be up friday night or early saturday for the weekend.

I'm really hoping either eastern UP or northern lower will have somewhere with decent snow before then, sounds like we are getting close.

I'd guess a minimum of a general 5-6" by friday with higher totals i'm sure in the Mancelona area where 3-4" was reported last night/this morning.  Local met is betting high on a decent snow saturday, like you mentioned.  Think the coast might see some suprising toals too from tonight-wednesday with a decent wsw/sw flow setting up.

I'd guess a minimum of a general 5-6" by friday with higher totals i'm sure in the Mancelona area where 3-4" was reported last night/this morning.  Local met is betting high on a decent snow saturday, like you mentioned.  Think the coast might see some suprising toals too from tonight-wednesday with a decent wsw/sw flow setting up.

There's two clippers... I'm probably headed to Newberry if things go as expected....

Looks like eastern UP is going to see the most this week.... Then Saturday it appears northern lower jackpots.

Archived