Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Lake Effect Snow Potential 1/30- 2/06

Jonger

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been trying to follow Alger and Luce counties LES all evening... Its tough, the radar tower in Marquette doesnt go that far and the Montreal river tower in Canada is kind of archaic. 

This is probably one of the last states left east of the MS that is still not totally covered by radar. Need a new radar for that area and as well east central MI towards the thumb.

That would be really cool

Love it here. My wife would have moved until I built a new home down state. I need a 2nd home. Time to work harder...

Me too. Now is the time to buy, but I don't have enough saved up. I just saw that you have 18 inches on the season. Holy cow, you have more than 2 times what I have! Haha. Pathetic.

Its craptastic everywhere in the state, its just that the bell curve of craptastic up there overlaps "good" for here.

It SUCKS but having bare periods in winter is quite common in SE MI. What ISNT common is the bare gound up north. I was looking at johndees northwoods network cams yesterday (what his website lacks in accurate forecasts it makes up for with a wondeful collection of cams in MN, WI, and MI) and I was SHOCKED to see Marquette (Northern U) and other webcams along lake Superior have BARE ground with a few scant snowbanks. Looking at those same cams in say, oh, 2 weeks, should have shocking results at what the Lakes (and a little synoptic help) can do.

BTW, is your sig just not updated or has Howell really only seen 8" this winter?

Owning a 2nd home is over rated. Wait until retirement because the allure will wane when weekend getaways only mean pruning the pines, cutting the grass and fixing the well.

That is very good point. When am I going to find time to do all that. That is sucky part.

Love it here. My wife would have moved until I built a new home down state. I need a 2nd home. Time to work harder...

moved here in late September, and I too love it up here.  Lots of reasons I chose to live here, weather and lack of people being just two of them.  One teeny weeny complaint would be lack of sunshine.  It went away in October and hasn't come back pretty much.  People say April is the worst month, but Summers are to die for, so looking forward to that as well.  Figures tho, my first Winter here and we're 40" below on snowfall.  Topping everything for me tho is the sense of remoteness that's easy to find. You can go places where you don't hear anything.... no cars, noise pollution, nothing.  Two miles down the road, a neighbor has spotted 2 bear and also a bobcat.  Everytime I go outside at night, I feel like I'm being stalked. Oh, stars  are amazing too! That is if you're lucky enough to see them.

Oh.... and walmart is 35 miles away. :lol:

Lake effect, non-event so far.... dry air FTL!

moved here in late September, and I too love it up here.  Lots of reasons I chose to live here, weather and lack of people being just two of them.  One teeny weeny complaint would be lack of sunshine.  It went away in October and hasn't come back pretty much.  People say April is the worst month, but Summers are to die for, so looking forward to that as well.  Figures tho, my first Winter here and we're 40" below on snowfall.  Topping everything for me tho is the sense of remoteness that's easy to find. You can go places where you don't hear anything.... no cars, noise pollution, nothing.  Two miles down the road, a neighbor has spotted 2 bear and also a bobcat.  Everytime I go outside at night, I feel like I'm being stalked. Oh, stars  are amazing too! That is if you're lucky enough to see them.

Oh my gosh....you sound JUST like me. Those are all the things I long for, especially the Wal mart part...haha. How do I get my wife to agree, that is the question................ :P

Oh my gosh....you sound JUST like me. Those are all the things I long for, especially the Wal mart part...haha. How do I get my wife to agree, that is the question................ :P

Dude, idk.  start vacationing up here and make her fall in love with it.  My main motivation was snow. If it's gonna be cold, might as well be white.  While I know this has been an abnormal Winter for these parts (and everywhere else in the GL/OV), there's times it will snow for 3 days straight even if it's only 2".... perpetual mood flakes!

moved here in late September, and I too love it up here. Lots of reasons I chose to live here, weather and lack of people being just two of them. One teeny weeny complaint would be lack of sunshine. It went away in October and hasn't come back pretty much. People say April is the worst month, but Summers are to die for, so looking forward to that as well. Figures tho, my first Winter here and we're 40" below on snowfall. Topping everything for me tho is the sense of remoteness that's easy to find. You can go places where you don't hear anything.... no cars, noise pollution, nothing. Two miles down the road, a neighbor has spotted 2 bear and also a bobcat. Everytime I go outside at night, I feel like I'm being stalked. Oh, stars are amazing too! That is if you're lucky enough to see them.

I been coming up here since I can remember have not seen a black bear yet. I do a lot of Salmon fishing so Ive seen tracks before. Even where I live down state I see a lot stars not as much here but pretty bright. Summers are awesome.

Nice snow squall between Kalkaska and TC on 72.

Close to 5" last night in Kalkaska.

In the hardware store in East Jordan there's a pic of a bear that was shot here.  It was in Oct and dogs startled it and it charged this guy.  Unfortunately he had to shoot it in the head.  It was a pretty large bear too.  I have the pic somewhere, I'll post it.

APX talked about no moisture and tiny flake size but I have had an inch since 730. I think there's a convergence here along the immediate coast which extends south and is that band you mentioned.  Radar doesn't do it justice... flake size is medium and rates are moderate.

If that was system snow I would just go there, but being LES... Its much too fluffy. 12 inches of LES is nice for recreational activities.

I agree... I need a few more inches to really go have some fun. Snow has picked back up in intensity the past hour. Seems APX is usually playing catch up w/ LE. Never know what you're gonna get til you got it, it appears.

I agree... I need a few more inches to really go have some fun. Snow has picked back up in intensity the past hour. Seems APX is usually playing catch up w/ LE. Never know what you're gonna get til you got it, it appears.

My usual riding buddy has his machine in the shop... If its not ready in time for this weekend, I'll wait till the next weekend and see what those systems do.

Even DTX dropping LES hints in their discussion. Should we extend the dates on this thread?

AREA WILL REMAIN IN A RATHER COLD WEATHER PATTERN OVER THE NEXT WEEKAS DEEP UPPER TROUGH REMAINS CENTERED OVER EASTERN CANADA/NORTHEASTCONUS. WHILE NO MAJOR WINTER STORMS ARE ON THE HORIZON...SEVERAL WEAKCLIPPER SYSTEMS WILL BRING PERIODIC LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS WITH EPISODESOF LAKE EFFECT/ENHANCED SNOW SHOWERS BRINGING OCCASIONALLY HEAVIERSNOW SHOWERS...ESPECIALLY EARLY NEXT WEEK AS H85 TEMPERATURES FALLTO -20C OR LESS AND VERY UNSTABLE CONDITIONS BECOME ESTABLISHED OVERTHE RELATIVE WARM OF THE GREAT LAKE WATERS.INVERSION HEIGHTS IN LAKE PLUME FROM LAKE MICHIGAN WILL BOUNCEBETWEEN 5-8KFT PER GFS AND NAM MODEL SOUNDINGS AND WEST/NORTHWESTFLOW WILL FAVOR AREAS SOUTH OF THE M 59 CORRIDOR (AND ESPECIALLYFROM THE I 94 CORRIDOR SOUTH) FOR A BETTER CHANCE AT ACCUMULATINGSNOW SHOWERS DURING THIS TIME FRAME.

Archived