SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

IWXwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The board will probably implode anyway...but...lots of potential to watch this week. While flooding in the south seems a near sure bet, further north it could be very snowy or very nothing. Moisture is a near-guarentee, but will it be all in the warm sector? Its possible, but in January, I just have a feeling that will not be the case. Even in our warmest winters, January systems such as these tend to have snow on the backside. Something looks to be brewing Sunday, and then the models are all over the place for next week. With all the talk of how much or little cold we will have later in January, Id say the storm potential is the first order of business.

I think we've had more Medium/Long Range discussion and complaint threads combined then we've had storm threads. (Or at least storm threads that turned out with actual storms)

Yup, get all excited about the medium and long range...then fuss when nothing happens...rinse and repeat. That MAY finally change next week...

While the se part of the region could have some issues ( can thank that se ridge ) the rest should be fine as far as snow/cold goes. Most models now crash ( even after a loop around ) the mjo just past the phase 6/7 line which is typically where most of us want it in this region. We DO NOT want it to make a run into 8-1.. Welcome to suppression city if that happens. Ofcourse Ohio peeps would like that though. They should get theirs though a little further out.

FWIW the latest euro monthlies are showing the coldest departures i have seen in a while and they are aimed right at the GL/OV/N.Plains for Feb with the coldest right over top of the GL.

While the se part of the region could have some issues ( can thank that se ridge ) the rest should be fine as far as snow/cold goes. Most models now crash ( even after a loop around ) the mjo just past the phase 6/7 line which is typically where most of us want it in this region. We DO NOT want it to make a run into 8-1.. Welcome to suppression city if that happens. Ofcourse Ohio peeps would like that though. They should get theirs though a little further out.

FWIW the latest euro monthlies are showing the coldest departures i have seen in a while and they are aimed right at the GL/OV/N.Plains for Feb with the coldest right over top of the GL.

Considering the MJO forecast, this is what the Euro is showing:

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

And here is the different phases shown center on Jan, in other words DJF: 

combined_image.png

I would think you would want the MJO to go a strong phase 7 and than quickly dive into a weak phase 8, or even go into the COD to favor the OV area, but the Euro keeps it in phase 7 to 6.

Just my thoughts for what it's worth.

Considering the MJO forecast, this is what the Euro is showing:

ECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

And here is the different phases shown center on Jan, in other words DJF: 

combined_image.png

I would think you would want the MJO to go a strong phase 7 and than quickly dive into a weak phase 8, or even go into the COD to favor the OV area, but the Euro keeps it in phase 7 to 6.

Just my thoughts for what it's worth.

They take in the ave temp going back decades. See 07-08. Thing hardly spent any time in phase 8-1 yet just about the whole region did very well. When it finally made a nice tick into phase 1 in March everything went south. For HERE ( sw MI )  i prefer it go into the COD in 7. Weak into 8 may work though..

2007-08

pd.2007.12.1.gif

2008-09 which was very good here..

pd.2008.12.1.gif

It is not a exact science but yeah for my backyard i like 7..

This shows how those maps can also be deceiving..

winter of 77-78.. Note Jan which was not a torch.

pd.1977.12.1.gif

What do you mean? Unless I am looking at an outdated GFS image at hr 172 it shows a pocket of arctic air over WI.

Probably looking at a more modest scenario, but it will be quite cold... Euro ensembles are more aggressive than the operational for a first.

The cold is coming...and it looks formidable. Unfortunately the pattern is crap for anything outside LES shots and particularly moisture starved clippers...the first of which will have a shot of  playing futility spoiler.

Yeah a 1.2"  20-1 ratio clipper to break the futility record would be a shot to the chops. At least give us advisory snow if it is going down.

Cold dry air is so yawn. Wow, most of us get to look forward to our nose hairs freeIng and 200$ + gas bills. Ill pass and hope for a slightly warmer and active pattern.

Looks like a lot of clippers.... Warmer air brings more storms, but often enough you end up with daily melting and mid 30's.

Terrible for recreation.

Cold dry air is so yawn. Wow, most of us get to look forward to our nose hairs freeIng and 200$ + gas bills. Ill pass and hope for a slightly warmer and active pattern.

I wouldn't want it for weeks on end. Just a week or so to kill off any insects or pests. Then warm up to the upper teens/low 20s with a 12-18" snowstorm.

Archived