joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion Part 3

IWXwx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

need a lot more fluff than that to snowmobile.

this goes with the map - encouraging for LES.

5-10 DAY FORECAST:

The news in this period is still the same, which means lots of cold, LES and limited system snow. I am going to continue to play the conservative card and keep pink out of the forecast, but I think there are some pretty good chances that some areas in the LES belts of the UP will see more than a foot of snow fall from Monday through Saturday of next week. I may not even be that big of a stretch to think some areas could see 2 feet+ of LES fall next week, but the way this winter has gone so far, I just do not want to get too excited about ideas for big snows beyond day 2-3. For sure it will be cold and for sure LES will occur.

The models continue to bounce around with how much snow will fall Monday and Tuesday. It will be plenty cold enough, it just depends on wind direction and to a lesser extent the stability of the atmosphere. In any case, there is the potential for at least a couple of inches of snow to fall in areas favored by a west wind (mainly the Keweenaw and perhaps shoreline areas from Munising to Whitefish Pt.

A clipper system still looks to swing through the upper Midwest by later Tuesday and Wednesday and looks to bring a few inches of system snow to most of the Northwoods.

Conditions for LES behind that clipper system look to increase dramatically and it is still looking like from later Wednesday through Saturday, a pretty solid 5-8” of LES will occur in many of the LES belts of the UP and NWL MI, with some locales to see more than 8” and if all works out to the good side, more than 12”, but it’s still a long way off to be putting a lot of faith into exact ideas for LES- especially the way this season is going!

Temps next week will see daytime highs into the teens and low 20’s in the Northwoods, with lows an average of 20 degrees cooler than that.

need a lot more fluff than that to snowmobile.

John Dee's maps are much more robust for the UP... Dec 21st he had the storm being 4-8 over northern Lower and 20 inches topped out in Gaylord.

I have seen the pattern and I know my state, that will open up the entire northern highlands of the lower peninsula.

Some of those bands that generate from Superior...picks more moisture as heads across Lk Michigan produces more snow in some cases then the U.P in places like Mancelona, Kalkaska, etc.. In a 4 day total of 4-8" indicating on Jon Dee's maps in a favorable wind direction is LOL in NWLM. More like 1-2 feet of it! 

Some of those bands that generate from Superior...picks more moisture as heads across Lk Michigan produces more snow in some cases then the U.P in places like Mancelona, Kalkaska, etc.. In a 4 day total of 4-8" indicating on Jon Dee's maps in a favorable wind direction is LOL in NWLM. More like 1-2 feet of it! 

any he mentions he is going conservative for now.   read people.

John Dee's maps are much more robust for the UP... Dec 21st he had the storm being 4-8 over northern Lower and 20 inches topped out in Gaylord.

I have seen the pattern and I know my state, that will open up the entire northern highlands of the lower peninsula.

2' of fluff would be a nice start to building a base again in lower penis

If the upcoming pattern of clippers and moist fronts transpires, there will be quite a few 18-24 inch areas in Northern Lower and this might be conservative...

His maps always hate on detoilet - i don't blame him, but there really is no snow modeled for many of us so that map looks solid ATM.. Things change and so will the maps.

He always underdoes things for SE MI. ALWAYS. Hes like the opposite of the gfs. If you add up the total snow as hes forecast here by the end of the winter you will have to double it to get the actual total. His maps are more focused for snowmobilers in the north country, so I don't think anyone in this area actually uses them as a forecast. But nonetheleas they are lol-worthy.

Brutal air with the PV hanging out in Canada, but the Euro keeps it just far enough north through the ten days that we don't get too cold.  Next Wednesday the GFS has us in the teens for highs while the Euro has us at 40.

The Euro has a weird retro-grade look to it.... The cold appears to head east, then switches directions and comes back.

Archived