Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan. 5/6 Winter Weather Obs./Disc.

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had 6 nights below 32º this year since 11/15; several more at or around 35º. Not bad, but definitely not "good" in terms of a north Florida winter.

Let's hope for something changes up stream, and that this AM Wx "Southern Outpost" gets a taste of what you all are certainly due for!

Rooting for you all is, after all, rooting for MBY!

NWS BlacksburgStrong SW flow aloft will keep higher clouds streaming across most of the forecast area through this evening. Lower deck of stratocu/stratus shrinks some late this afternoon before creeping northward again overnight...and staying mainly across the blf-bcb-roa-lyh area and points south. Needless to say...mainly dealing with a temperature forecast tonight. The next shortwave currently over Texas will streak NE into the Carolinas after midnight and models are varied on precipitation. NAM/CMC more aggressive in surging precipitation northward into the New River valley and mountain Empire while the 12z European model (ecmwf)/GFS show less. Not impressed with measurable precipitation chances so for overnight keeping with slight chance in the NC mountains/adjacent foothills and maybe SW Virginia from Hillsville to Mount ROgers. Ptype from model soundings suggest fzdz/dz and maybe light snow with some light rain in the NC foothills. Still not worthy of a headline as no quantitative precipitation forecast anticipated. May have to issue a Special Weather Statement overnight for potential slick travel in the higher elevations of NC in the morning.

If you look closely at the last radar image I think you can see an eye forming.  This thing could go annular by morning.

Dang! I told you Marietta get some of everything frozen that falls, lol. Way to go. I've got 42 and clouds. T

Lol... We actually do.... Always manage a few flakes in nw flow events and like tonight we get the five minute sleet shower. It's such a tease but I'll take it. The joys of living on the demarcation line that sets up for wintery weather in ga. We rarely get much but usually squeeze out something.

Here is the 18z NAM potential..Boone and Jefferson already down to 32/33. 37 over 30 in my backyard. Just need some drizzle to start developing late tonight.

PT_PN_018_0000.gif

I hardly see anything frozen on any soundings from around there...If it does happen the models are certainly not seeing much. 18z 4km hires NAM shows no snow in Wilkes county, but about 0.1" to 0.5" in Watauga and Avery. Very minimal mountain event and incredibly localized, almost a non-event I'd say. The soundings I've seen don't even have IP or ZR. Just RN *_*

Limited moisture headed our way late tonight and early tomorrow. For most, just clouds. However, there is a chance for sprinkles, flurries and/or sleet. Anything that falls should be limited and light. Totals anywhere from a Trace to 0.03" of an inch of precip. Details at 10:30 in the weather report. Like ·  · Share · 3991 · 18 minutes ago · 

Alert******  Going to load up my 7 salt trucks heading to Wilkesboro to keep roads passable from the trace of sleet pellets they "may" receive.  Radar doesn't look promising.

Ray Grimes if you see this get your 18 trucks ready and lets head to Wilkesboro.  I did the Kohl's in 2010 if you need me to get it again?

Frosty you want to drive one?

Lol... We actually do.... Always manage a few flakes in nw flow events and like tonight we get the five minute sleet shower. It's such a tease but I'll take it. The joys of living on the demarcation line that sets up for wintery weather in ga. We rarely get much but usually squeeze out something.

I've always seen great potential in a step down winter.  Always hovering around the edges of just cold enough, and just wet enough.  Sooner or later one hits.  It's how we get our huge winter averages, lol. 'cause it dang sure ain't from all the blizzards :)   T

All right, guys (and gals), I think WilkesboroDude has paid his dues.  Let's give him another chance.  No need to run someone off who is obviously very passionate about the weather.  We're all somewhat passionate about the weather or we wouldn't be here in the first place.  So, he started a few threads early:  Not a big deal.  Life goes on after some good-natured ribbing.

Archived