Newest Member
    Toothache
The annual countdown to May 1st thread ©

weatherwiz

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited!!!!

I'm actually also planning a trip to the Plains in June too. 

Love the June chasing trips. Usually by then yahoos have been weeded out by the climatological peak of the season being over. Storm motions are much slower, making it easier to keep up with and photograph storms.

Sure you can run into issues with too much moisture and too little shear, leading to mushy, HP storms, or you can run into capping. But more often than not, when that high slides east and you cap the Plains head west to NM/CO/WY. Those supercells are almost a daily occurrence when the rest of tornado alley shuts off. 

Really photogenic storms too. Saw a gorgeous mothership meso outside of Las Animas, CO in 2009 (the season that was absolutely dead for tornadoes, I think we went a full week in May without a watch). Stayed in a terrible motel in Lamar with VORTEX 2, but had the best breakfast skillet I've ever had there too, so I call it a toss up.

I can't wait for severe fail season.

EML's for everyone i hope.

honestly thou severe wx season is a W SNE thing as usual. so meh meh meh and more meh. and honestly there isn't much good about the e or ne coast of mass wrt to spring or summer...SAVE a cooling sea breeze . the water is too damn cold to really enjoy. That is why you can find me on the s coast! where water temps tickle 70's and SE swells crush in late summer. S RI summer is really underrated in bos area. Out in ORH everyone goes to misquamicut state beach in RI but in bos peeps just go to nahant, or revere, or nantasket, or 25 to pak at ipswich or gloucester. the latter is actually a beautiful beach with ability at low tide to walk across sandbard to island and also float down the river into the ocean. but the water is cold and the waves are tiny and your weenie will hide. Head to the S coast of Ri this summer. everyone do themselves a favor at least once, easton's 1'st beach, point judith, narraganset, misquami, "goose wing/little compton", or the jewel of sne IMO block island.

EML's for everyone i hope.

honestly thou severe wx season is a W SNE thing as usual. so meh meh meh and more meh. and honestly there isn't much good about the e or ne coast of mass wrt to spring or summer...SAVE a cooling sea breeze . the water is too damn cold to really enjoy. That is why you can find me on the s coast! where water temps tickle 70's and SE swells crush in late summer.

Hey hey, we e ma folks are in prime hurricane position when the time comes. ;)

You know, looking at the CPC monthlies, I'm not going to be overly surprised if somewhere in the Northeast gets something this year, especially if a ridge develops in the SW/Plains later on in Spring and if a strong shortwave or two decides to crest the ridge and drop in to the Great Lakes region, this type of setup has been historically classic for Northeast severe events.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at least NE and SD have good chase area from what I heard. That is my one goal I need to do over the next 5 years. Maybe in 2015 when Bryce is older and can be watched for a week+. 

Yeah CO and W NE/W KS can be good trhat time of year. Slow movers, photogenic, etc. 

Archived