• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Atlantic Tropical Action 2013

18z tracks have shifted south a bit with the TVCN looking interesting. 

attachicon.gifAL98_current.png

The ECMWF, while often the best, is currently well outside of the consensus which leads me to believe it could be wrong.  It has AL98 approaching 22N at 72 h, which would make it more than twice as far north from the consensus as the next biggest outlier. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ECMWF, while often the best, is currently well outside of the consensus which leads me to believe it could be wrong.  It has AL98 approaching 22N at 72 h, which would make it more than twice as far north from the consensus as the next biggest outlier. 

I have to be honest, the 12z ECMWF track looks highly unlikely. 

http://ruc.noaa.gov/hfip/tcdiag/tcdiag.php?model=rtfim9

TAFB is on the southern portion of the guidance with a decent low @ 72 hours

Easterly shear?

That image is nearly three hours old and the center has become ever so slightly tucked into the eastern side of the convection, but yeah, it's been experiencing easterly shear. 12z SHIPS initialized with 21 knots of shear and the 18z SHIPS initialized with 12 knots. Should see a further decrease throughout the night.

I think we see this get classified tonight... convection is starting to build over the llc, and while not particularly deep, its sufficient in coverage and intensity to be considered a TC. The bubbly like appearance in the convection is a good sign right now, indicating dry air hasn't penetrated the core yet. 

2cnz11t.gif

Another factor that hasn't really gotten much press; there is a distinct lack of SAL associated with 98L. It doesn't look like there is a surge getting ready to emerge off the African coast either. This is pretty rare for late July where AEWs are usually dominated by SAL outbreaks.

16aw854.jpg

I think we see this get classified tonight... convection is starting to build over the llc, and while not particularly deep, its sufficient in coverage and intensity to be considered a TC. The bubbly like appearance in the convection is a good sign right now, indicating dry air hasn't penetrated the core yet. 

2cnz11t.gif

Another factor that hasn't really gotten much press; there is a distinct lack of SAL associated with 98L. It doesn't look like there is a surge getting ready to emerge off the African coast either. This is pretty rare for late July where AEWs are usually dominated by SAL outbreaks.

16aw854.jpg

If that keeps up during the peak wave time in August and September, could mean many Cape Verde systems.

There was another note made earlier today about the further west 18z ATCF guidance (which a large portion are at least influenced by the 12z GFS) and the much faster and further NW ECMWF. I agree that the ECMWF doesn't seem to be handeling the sub-synoptic environment around 98L very well. Let me explain.

The low-level circulation of 98L is very distinct. However, within the AEW envelope, there is also another piece of energy that emerged off the African coastline today. This has resulted in a elongated 500 hPa vorticity envelope extending west to east, since there is broad mid-level turning associated with the decaying MCS that moved out over open waters between Africa and the Cape Verde islands. Based on the 12z runs today, the GFS seems to capture this more elongated 500 hPa vorticity pattern vs. the ECMWF which has the 500 hPa vorticity associated with 98L extending too far to the NW. This has been a persistent bias in the model with this invest.

The end effect of this is that the ECMWF has falsely eroded the mid-level ridge ahead of 98L by depicting convection, and hence vorticity, cutting into the relatively weak mid-level ridge in place. The GFS correctly hangs the mid-level vorticity further back, allowing for a stronger ridge, and a more southward motion of the vortex. I'd be very surprised to see the ECMWF verify in the short term. 

500hpa.gif

You can see how the 500 hPa heights (white contours) are eroded more on the ECMWF than the GFS. This is what is leading to the initial (and perhaps long-term) track disparity between the two models. 

Thats a very impressive ASCAT pass with widespread 25-30 knot wind vectors. ASCAT typically has a low bias and its NHC will probably pull the trigger based on this and the slightly improved satellite presentation tonight. 

Agree Phil, this looks like the evidence the NHC needs to upgrade to TD.

Now back to following the struggling cyclone. It will  probably go thru the naked swirl process that has been the theme the past few seasons at some point in it's life.

It'll be interesting to see just how well 98L holds up against the unfavorable conditions ahead. As evidenced by the above images, SAL has thinned out significantly over the past few days. A large area of dry air lurks to the northwest, but with easterly flow across the region, I wouldn't be surprised if what happened with Chantal occurred again (the storm moving in tandem with the stable air) here; 98L has a large moisture bubble anyways. I think the biggest issue will be the 25-26C sea surface temperatures it crosses tomorrow and Thursday.

. I'd be very surprised to see the ECMWF verify in the short term. 

The 0Z NHC model init was a motion of 285 degrees; not saying the extreme ECMWF solution will verify but it definitely looks to have made a turn to a bit more N of W component late this afternoon.

The 0Z NHC model init was a motion of 285 degrees; not saying the extreme ECMWF solution will verify but it definitely looks to have made a turn to a bit more N of W component late this afternoon.

Well yes, but that would still be well within the forecasted GFS track. The ECMWF is already too far north and west at 03z where it had the center at 14.5N 26.5W... while the true center is on the NE edge of the convection, more around 13.5N 25.5W

ECMWF 03z Forecast compared with satellite imagery. 

fp03k7.png

03z GFS compared with satellite imagery. While not perfect, the GFS is doing a superior job. 

28cir1i.png

ABNT20 KNHC 240240
TWOAT

SPECIAL TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
1040 PM EDT TUE JUL 23 2013

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

SATELLITE-DERIVED WIND DATA INDICATE THAT THE SURFACE LOW PRESSURE
SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 150 MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS
IS PRODUCING WINDS TO NEAR GALE FORCE.
HOWEVER...THE ASSOCIATED
THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY REMAINS SOMEWHAT LIMITED AND HAS NOT YET BEEN
PERSISTENT ENOUGH FOR THE LOW TO BE DESIGNATED AS A TROPICAL
CYCLONE. IF THE THUNDERSTORMS INCREASE AND PERSIST...THEN THE LOW
COULD BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION OR TROPICAL STORM ON WEDNESDAY

AS IT MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT ABOUT 20 MPH. THIS SYSTEM HAS A
HIGH CHANCE...70 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING
THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

ABNT20 KNHC 240240

TWOAT

SPECIAL TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

1040 PM EDT TUE JUL 23 2013

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

SATELLITE-DERIVED WIND DATA INDICATE THAT THE SURFACE LOW PRESSURE

SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 150 MILES SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS

IS PRODUCING WINDS TO NEAR GALE FORCE. HOWEVER...THE ASSOCIATED

THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY REMAINS SOMEWHAT LIMITED AND HAS NOT YET BEEN

PERSISTENT ENOUGH FOR THE LOW TO BE DESIGNATED AS A TROPICAL

CYCLONE. IF THE THUNDERSTORMS INCREASE AND PERSIST...THEN THE LOW

COULD BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION OR TROPICAL STORM ON WEDNESDAY

AS IT MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT ABOUT 20 MPH. THIS SYSTEM HAS A

HIGH CHANCE...70 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING

THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

Splitting hairs... this is a TD/TS for all intents and purposes. The convection currently is sufficent and as long as it doesn't go poof tonight, it will be classified at 5am. 

Looks like it'll be 5am.

1. SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED WITH A LOW PRESSURE
SYSTEM LOCATED ABOUT 175 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE
ISLANDS HAS INCREASED IN COVERAGE AND ORGANIZED DURING THE PAST
SEVERAL HOURS. IF THESE TRENDS CONTINUE...TROPICAL CYCLONE
ADVISORIES WILL LIKELY BE INITIATED LATER THIS MORNING. THIS
SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...80 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL
CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD
AT ABOUT 20 MPH.

Archived