• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Central PA - late January 2013

MAG5035

I just measured a little over 1.5" here total so far today after that last squall moved thru. Looks like that squall put some more on the ground just down the road in Altoona with another squall coming off the mountain. There's some nice fluff to the snow today too. Easily the best of the year ratio wise. 

Thankfully I passed through before those squalls passed by. I was held up on I-99 due to an accident between Plank Road and Frankstown Road. Hate to be there or on 22 heading up the mountain.  . 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps, but given the lack of blocking downstream to really lock in the cold air I believe the majority of numerical guidance will shift to this solution over the next two days.

There might not be blocking downstream, but the wave looks really progressive. Just don't think it amplifies enough for any kind of a deep warm push into PA even if the low itself tracks really close. 

I'll entertain that this will likely come back north a bit on the models, but i'm just not seeing much mixing potential outside of far SW PA and SE pa under the turnpike.. and even then I expect the primary mix type would be sleet after a period of snow. Below the Mason-Dixon line could be a different story, but there's good chance DC at the least sees some measurable on the front end IMO. Right now I like the corridor between the turnpike (I-78 east of Harrisburg) and I-80 again for the best potential snow amounts when matching best QPF with best thermals for snow growth (basically the most efficient snow ratios). 

Euro is your prototypical miller B event that gives PA a light to moderate snowfall (best south and east) and then blows up the coastal low late and hammers I-95 from DC-Boston.

What's it going to take for the east coast to see a true Miller A storm? Seems like it's been forever. Miller B's are ok, but someone usually gets "shafted" by them.

About 1/2" of snow family is reporting back in Linglestown.

i was with our softball team at the Legion in Lawnton on Derry street making subs. I came out about 6 and everything was covered and still coming down moderatly. But as i started home towards Cumberland county the snow got less and less. Our ground was lightly covered, but not like over there.

Wondering...do I head home Thursday night or wait until later Friday evening? What's the timing of the storm look like?

That's cool you are doing that. 

You should be fine friday evening. It doesn't look like it will arrive until saturday evening,

Actually, all or most of the models have the snow coming Friday.

Archived