• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The Interior/NW Suburbs Winter Thread

Guest Patrick

What a waste of cold air- but at least our snow pack will stick around for awhile.

Hopefully something pops up heading into next week.

I personally enjoy very cold temps.Temps are moderate at best for this time of the year.

Hoping that we can get some temps below zero this year.

snow guns are blowing hard currently at Hidden Valley & Mountain Creek.

Happy New Year folks.

Cheers,

Darkstar

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

guys, its a new year...come on. in light of Connecticut and other tragedies, is this important?

we are all here because we love weather. peace, go enjoy the beautiful fresh chilly air.

guys, its a new year...come on. in light of Connecticut and other tragedies, is this important?

we are all here because we love weather. peace, go enjoy the beautiful fresh chilly air.

I agree! Part of the reason why this thread was created.. To talk local weather with my NW folks!

Hows the snowpack holding up down in Sussex?

Guest Patrick

honestly haven't lost much, but haven't been out to measure..spent the weekend installing a pellet stove. it is cold tonight...

how's the snowpack by you

Guest Patrick

I'm hoping so....didn't count on the oil prices to actually heat 6000 sq feet. its insane. this had to be the only house in sussex county built without alternative heat. the englander 2200 is a beast...it was an easy install. debating wood vs pellet for the main floor now.

light snow falling this morning. snowpack down to 4"

Nice.. Pellet stoves are awesome! Big money saver..

Snowpack up here hasn't budged lol.. somewhere between 10-11"

I'm hoping so....didn't count on the oil prices to actually heat 6000 sq feet. its insane. this had to be the only house in sussex county built without alternative heat. the englander 2200 is a beast...it was an easy install. debating wood vs pellet for the main floor now.

light snow falling this morning. snowpack down to 4"

I just purchased a pellet stove insert for my main living area! Going in January 7th. heats up to 2500 sq ft, but we have high cathedral cielings and an all glass front overlooking the lake, so it's going to have to bust it. However, we have an all electric house (4,000 sq ft) and would get killed w/o it!

Light snow falling here in Byram! Hopefully enough t whiten things up...

We installed a Lopi Endeavor woodstove this past summer. Easily keeps my entire house warm and much warmer than I normally kept it when relying soley on oil. I suspect my oil consumption will be reduced by 60-70%. And thanks to Sandy's handy work I have a good 2-3 years of fire wood lying around at my mom's, sister's and around my place. That being said I bought myself a 27 ton Gravely log splitter of Christmas!  

Guest Patrick

heat wave up here at 10*<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="IrishRob17" data-cid="1977011" data-time="1357133784"><p>

Got down to 8 degrees a little while ago, sitting at 9 now.</p></blockquote>

Guest Patrick

we may get a solid warm up going by mid January, even in the hills. may give enough time for midwinter cleanup...a race to get as much cleaned up before three bears wake up. warm is fine with me, as long as it's dry.

Still holding onto a covering of snow here in Dobbs Ferry in wooded and north-facing areas. Fading fast though with a high in the low 40s today. Elevation is making a difference as areas in the 300-400' band still have snow cover while downtown is barren.

serious question.300-400 feet is nothing for elevation.

creek level is 200-400 feet.

I bought a home in the higher terrain on NNJ & only snow pack I notice is 6 miles NW of Butler NJ on rt 23 typically.

yes, my snow is good on 515 north, but no high impact events yet.

Cheers,

Matt

mail box elevation 1415, property max 1440 ft(back left quad)

I bought a home in the higher terrain on NNJ & only snow pack I notice is 6 miles NW of Butler NJ on rt 23 typically.

Cheers,

Matt

Compared to you that elevation means nothing but compared to someone at 100 feet or lower it does matter. Every little bit of elevation makes a difference.

I have 4-5" snowpack here with more in the shady spots.

Cheers,

Matt

So, uhhh, what was the question? Lol

Yeah I'm hanging onto about 5 or so inches of snowpack here in the southern end of the OC in Monroe.

On thurs night I traveled 90 minutes north to my friends winter house at Bellayre mountain - as we got into town there there was a nice powdery snow coming down - got about an inch overnight and we hit the slopes Fri morning. Was pleasantly surprised at the conditions there- good base, a little powder on some trails. And I would say they have a good foot plus on the ground in the area.

So if any of you guys ski and are looking for a quick winter fix I would say check it out. Not a great mountain - but for a close jaunt to the Catskills it was cool.

If you go on a weekday it's quite empty too - my last runs of the afternoon I was the only one on the trail I was skiing- which was awesome cause no one was around to see me wipe out lol

Cheers,

Matt

lol what? i live in butler at 400 ft (lower elevation than 23) and have solid 3-4 inches still on the ground. u cant use the open highway as your reflection of surrounding areas . maybe a wind blown bare spot here and there but otherwise 99% coverage. now u are going to make me take a pic tomorrow and prove it to u and i will take a pic in full sun areas

as for 300 -4oo feet, it certainly makes a difference over say 150-200. take the 23 hill from pompton plains to riverdale, can be a big difference in just that 200 ft difference.

Cheers,

Matt

It's not a lot of elevation, but I've definitely noticed a difference especially since the lower elevation areas here in Southern Westchester are right on the Hudson River and in a more urbanized setting, making them even warmer. You go up 200-300' in the hills on the ridge abutting the Hudson, and it definitely snows a little more, with much better snowpack retention. I work weekends as a delivery driver (2nd job), and one of our customers called last night who lives all the way at the top of this huge hill in Irvington...probably about 375' or so up there at his house....there was 2-3" on the ground there, whereas everyone else's snowpack has dwindled to a light covering. It looked as if the storm had happened yesterday there whereas downtown by the restaurant at like 75' elevation there was nothing but a few patches of snow. 

Guest Pamela

It's not a lot of elevation, but I've definitely noticed a difference especially since the lower elevation areas here in Southern Westchester are right on the Hudson River and in a more urbanized setting, making them even warmer. You go up 200-300' in the hills on the ridge abutting the Hudson, and it definitely snows a little more, with much better snowpack retention. I work weekends as a delivery driver (2nd job), and one of our customers called last night who lives all the way at the top of this huge hill in Irvington...probably about 375' or so up there at his house....there was 2-3" on the ground there, whereas everyone else's snowpack has dwindled to a light covering. It looked as if the storm had happened yesterday there whereas downtown by the restaurant at like 75' elevation there was nothing but a few patches of snow. 

But when elevation differences are not too great, snowpack retention is most heavily determined by the amount of exposure and insolation received.

In Manhattan, Harlem had snowcover until New Years after the minor snow... it was only an inch or so, but it was a marked difference from anything to the south, as no snow even accumulated in most of Manhattan. I think elevation plays a slight role as well as the distance from Midtown, which is probably the world's greatest heat sink. I would actually bet that the snow average in Midtown is under a foot per year. It's only ever noticeable if it's a real snowstorm, so any events under 4" or so basically don't exist. 

On thurs night I traveled 90 minutes north to my friends winter house at Bellayre mountain

If you go on a weekday it's quite empty too - my last runs of the afternoon I was the only one on the trail I was skiing- which was awesome cause no one was around to see me wipe out lol

I learned to ski there, its s nice little secret IMO. As you pointed out its not huge but I always enjoyed the smaller amount of people and I always went on a weekday. The best was being there when it snowed all day, like 3-5", with snow plastered to everything and having the trails essentially to yourself. Great stuff!

Archived