Newest Member
    amirah5
The Interior/NW Suburbs Winter Thread

Guest Patrick

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

just started snowing here on mount patrick. checking google maps, the elevation at the front of my property is 950 feet...and 600 feet at the back. interesting fact that no one cares about.

just started snowing here on mount patrick. checking google maps, the elevation at the front of my property is 950 feet...and 600 feet at the back. interesting fact that no one cares about.

That's interesting in that you must see accumulation differences within you own yard. I live at 385 feet but have to drive over a hill that goes a little over 500 feet to get to the main road. Just in that little elevation difference I sometimes will see differences.

Just started here. Very lt snow/flurries. So far i like this sub forum. Much more peaceful than the general nyc forum. People are really freaking out there this morning.

I'll admit, I was up early and concerned, but Patrick reposted Earthlight's post from this AM about the "shadow" effect. I still think our NW climatology hooks us up w/ some serious lift later this AM, early PM.

Check out precip building in Northern VA. Sweet...

Guest Patrick

the last storm was interesting in that i had snow with a little Sleet mixed in...wasnt until the next morning that i saw freezing rain had accumulated on the trees Two acres down the hill...talk about microclimate.

That's interesting in that you must see accumulation differences within you own yard. I live at 385 feet but have to drive over a hill that goes a little over 500 feet to get to the main road. Just in that little elevation difference I sometimes will see differences.

The precip shield should continue to unify with WAA lifting from the southerly flow of the primary, but it's hard to get significant totals without decent banding. If I had to guess, I'd put the ceiling at about 4" for most of the area except CT where coastal dynamics get going. Side note, my cloud cover looks high for right before a snow, not the lowhanging undulations I would expect. Happy snows!

The shadowing discussed has / is occurring for eastern parts of NW NJ but radar trends suggest that will end in the next several hours as coastal continues to develop and expand its precip shield. Will be interesting later this afternoon just how far west the heaviest bands of snow reach. Regardless ~3-5" for most with a few pockets of 6-7" in areas in the best bands later. Mainly just flurries here at 10:45 with temp 28 and dp 25. Btw elevation at the front of my property about 860' and the back 890'! ;)

The shadowing discussed has / is occurring for eastern parts of NW NJ but radar trends suggest that will end in the next several hours as coastal continues to develop and expand its precip shield. Will be interesting later this afternoon just how far west the heaviest bands of snow reach. Regardless ~3-5" for most with a few pockets of 6-7" in areas in the best bands later. Mainly just flurries here at 10:45 with temp 28 and dp 25. Btw elevation at the front of my property about 860' and the back 890'! ;)

Yeah I think 3-5" is a given but it will be interesting to see if anyone receives 6+ in our area..

Archived