Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Interior/NW Suburbs Winter Thread

Guest Patrick

Hi,

I may have asked the question over the years. Having only lived in HL a short period of time and my first winter, many of the truths do seem correct.  I assume I am at around 50+/- inches of snow ytd. When I have some time, I will go back and pull some figures.

Hopefully summer is just as nice with t-storms and less heat. The quality of life and people in general are improved compared to my time in Edison, NJ.

Matt

im at 40.5, im sure u are in the mid 50s for sure

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

yeah the valleys didn't quite hit 8. living on a cliff...and i think i mentioned this before...the gradient on my property is laughable.

speaking of oil delivery, we need to talk soon about your pellet stove man. I'll be buying my second one next week.

I just had some oil delivered this morning.. Thy guy was amazed at the amount of snow in Highland Lakes

He informed he lived on the valley floor in Franklin and got around 6-7 inches.

Cheers,

Matt

yeah the valleys didn't quite hit 8. living on a cliff...and i think i mentioned this before...the gradient on my property is laughable.

speaking of oil delivery, we need to talk soon about your pellet stove man. I'll be buying my second one next week.

Hello Patrick,

I may be willing to be take a wager the gradient on my property is just as steep. only a few level properties on my block. 

How much are you paying for the pellet stoves. My research indicated they cost from around a $1000-$3000 on the model/type.

Some are inserted in the fireplace and others are sort of out in front etc.

What model/brand are you using.

Thanks,

Matt

Still about 4" remaining in the woods behind my house. I took my dog for a run in the nature preserve around 5:30, and the snowpack in the thickly wooded areas at the town's higher elevations is hanging in there despite the warm temperatures today. It's nothing like the mountainous terrain of NNJ, but there's still a steep gradient between snow retention on the ridge abutting the Hudson here in Westchester and down in NYC, where I was hanging out today and found almost all the snow melted save small piles. 

I still think those of us in the NW suburbs have 2-3 more threats. There's the clipper on 3/14, which trended weaker on the 18z GFS, the southern stream shortwave around 3/20, and then HM has been talking about an April interior snowbomb as the -NAO block finally blows up and gives way to spring. He seems to think that the cold, wintry conditions could continue into April this year, reminiscent of 2010-2011, when we had a 3" snowfall on 3/21 and then narrowly missed a bomb on 4/1 and just had sleet and rain. The last significant April snowfall was on 4/7/2003 in my area (we had a little bit in April 2006), and the last big April snowfall was 4/10/1996 I believe. 

Still about 4" remaining in the woods behind my house. I took my dog for a run in the nature preserve around 5:30, and the snowpack in the thickly wooded areas at the town's higher elevations is hanging in there despite the warm temperatures today. It's nothing like the mountainous terrain of NNJ, but there's still a steep gradient between snow retention on the ridge abutting the Hudson here in Westchester and down in NYC, where I was hanging out today and found almost all the snow melted save small piles. 

I still think those of us in the NW suburbs have 2-3 more threats. There's the clipper on 3/14, which trended weaker on the 18z GFS, the southern stream shortwave around 3/20, and then HM has been talking about an April interior snowbomb as the -NAO block finally blows up and gives way to spring. He seems to think that the cold, wintry conditions could continue into April this year, reminiscent of 2010-2011, when we had a 3" snowfall on 3/21 and then narrowly missed a bomb on 4/1 and just had sleet and rain. The last significant April snowfall was on 4/7/2003 in my area (we had a little bit in April 2006), and the last big April snowfall was 4/10/1996 I believe. 

To be honest with you, I was just able to start seeing bare ground last week on my property. I was telling my wife, I was getting ready to start cleaning up the woods etc. I am back to snow everywhere. I would estimate around 6-8 on the ground still.

I have a trip planned end of the month to Alta/Snowbird for 8 days to take some runs on the mountain. Hoping we get hit hard when out west and come home to spring.

Cheers,

Matt

To be honest with you, I was just able to start seeing bare ground last week on my property. I was telling my wife, I was getting ready to start cleaning up the woods etc. I am back to snow everywhere. I would estimate around 6-8 on the ground still.

I have a trip planned end of the month to Alta/Snowbird for 8 days to take some runs on the mountain. Hoping we get hit hard when out west and come home to spring.

Cheers,

Matt

Wow, I'm also going to Utah at the end of the month. My best friend and roommate from college works at Snowbird, and I'm visiting him between 3/25-3/28, flying out to Salt Lake City during my spring break. I'm a teacher, so I'm off from 3/23-4/3 for Easter vacation. They're having a somewhat below average season, running about 80% of normal, which means about 290" of snow has fallen this season in the Wasatch. Their average is 500", so they'll probably finish between 380-400" this season. When we had our 70" season in Dobbs Ferry during the epic 10-11 winter, they had 724", one of their highest totals on record. 

My snow all melted by 2/25...it was actually pretty decent retention from the 17" blizzard for a location at only 350' and only 25 miles north of Central Park. Our ability to hold snowpack declines pretty steeply after February 15th with the rising sun angle; that's why Winter 10-11 was so ideal, as all the snow fell from 12/26 to 2/3, the heart of our snow retention time frame. Anyway, there's now 4-5" in the woods behind my house, and 1-2" on most lawns around town. Should be mostly gone by tomorrow night. 

Wow, I'm also going to Utah at the end of the month. My best friend and roommate from college works at Snowbird, and I'm visiting him between 3/25-3/28, flying out to Salt Lake City during my spring break. I'm a teacher, so I'm off from 3/23-4/3 for Easter vacation. They're having a somewhat below average season, running about 80% of normal, which means about 290" of snow has fallen this season in the Wasatch. Their average is 500", so they'll probably finish between 380-400" this season. When we had our 70" season in Dobbs Ferry during the epic 10-11 winter, they had 724", one of their highest totals on record. 

My snow all melted by 2/25...it was actually pretty decent retention from the 17" blizzard for a location at only 350' and only 25 miles north of Central Park. Our ability to hold snowpack declines pretty steeply after February 15th with the rising sun angle; that's why Winter 10-11 was so ideal, as all the snow fell from 12/26 to 2/3, the heart of our snow retention time frame. Anyway, there's now 4-5" in the woods behind my house, and 1-2" on most lawns around town. Should be mostly gone by tomorrow night. 

Hey, I will be out there that week. We should meet up for a pint. I am out there with a group of  around 10 people( some I know, some don't) renting one of the few homes up at the top of the mountain. 

Let me know.

Matt

Yeah the MW school taxes are bad. The district has definitely grown since the days when I attended there. You're right- I went to high school at the building that's now the middle school- and junior high was the building across from the commons. Damn I must be getting old lol

Well back to the weather- looks like the snow melt is occurring at a good pace today. Still quite a bit out there but it's days will be numbered I'm sure. Was out last night and encountered some nasty black ice. Will probably see more of that tonight.

And it sounds like winter isn't done in spite of the mild weather over these next few days. Will see what happens. Either way it's been a pretty decent winter in spite of some benign weather at times.

Almost lost it about 2 hrs ago on Rt 17 near Chester.. Tons of black ice!! The amount of snow in Monroe compared to over here was quite noticeable during my drive into work today. 

Hi,

I may have asked the question over the years. Having only lived in HL a short period of time and my first winter, many of the truths do seem correct.  I assume I am at around 50+/- inches of snow ytd. When I have some time, I will go back and pull some figures.

Hopefully summer is just as nice with t-storms and less heat. The quality of life and people in general are improved compared to my time in Edison, NJ.

Matt

You should def be around 55".. You rack up that extra inch or 2" when others are tainting simply cause of that wonderful elevation.. I would love an extra 600' here lol..

Guest Patrick

HI Matt,

Haven't been ignoring your question, just couldn't remember what brand we actually ended up getting..I feel like I researched them until my eyes were bleeding.

We have the Summers Heat 2200 sq ft model... it was $1800.  On the highest setting, the beast eats a 40 lb bag of pellets (somewhere around $4 a bag) every 20 hours or so.. on the coldest nights, it kept the lower level (3000 sq feet) at a toasty 73*, and the upper level (also 3000 sq ft) at 58. I turned the upper zone thermostat down one night just to see what it leveled off at. Pretty impressive.

It needs the ashes dumped into the ashpan after every few bags, and then i get out the ash vac (ok, so i use an old shopvac) once every few days. 

Some models are nicer than others, some folks swear by their brand...but if you read the reviews online, everything from Harmon down to my no frills brand has some stoves with electronic issues.  Our thought was, if we have a chance of that kind of problem, we wanted to keep our investment less...and compared to my brother's "better" brand, there isn't any difference.  Just keep in mind the mounting kit is just under $200 for a straight wall mount, and there is an additional corner kit for a corner mount.  Having said that, this thing paid for itself in two months.

We didn't have the fireplace dilemma, since we are in the only house in sussex county that was built without a fireplace.  haha.

Hello Patrick,

I may be willing to be take a wager the gradient on my property is just as steep. only a few level properties on my block. 

How much are you paying for the pellet stoves. My research indicated they cost from around a $1000-$3000 on the model/type.

Some are inserted in the fireplace and others are sort of out in front etc.

What model/brand are you using.

Thanks,

Matt

Archived