northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The Interior/NW Suburbs Winter Thread

Guest Patrick

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got the call for school closed at 5am this morning.  Good thing too because it woke me up to see over 8" on the ground.  So what did I do?  Get dressed and leave for work.  It took me just under 3 hours to get downtown from home.  The roads were a general mess and it was regular traffic volume which means a string of carnage right down to the Bronx line.  Subaru FTW  :bike:

What's the call for the rest of the day?  Looks to me like it may wind up around lunchtime.

Guest Patrick

9.3 inches new snow at 8:00 AM

catching up to you now with a total of 9 =)

seeing some pretty intense rates right now on this side of the mountain.  On a side note, as I went from my house to ShopRite in Franklin (Rt 23) last night at about 930, there was no snow sticking at all there, and we already had three inches here...the drive back up 565 was harrowing to say the least.

catching up to you now with a total of 9 =)

seeing some pretty intense rates right now on this side of the mountain.  On a side note, as I went from my house to ShopRite in Franklin (Rt 23) last night at about 930, there was no snow sticking at all there, and we already had three inches here...the drive back up 565 was harrowing to say the least.

I would hate to say it, but the NAM model may have been on to something.

Snow has picked up again the past hour and radar looks solid.

I may be able to push 12 inches!

Cheers,

Matt

Guest Patrick

haha Matt.. I agree.  maybe we should believe the NAM sometimes?  I dunno.  It might be right, but I think it's better at forecasting for yesterday than tomorrow.  In it's defense, it did pick up on the heavy snow for today... we'll see.

Looking at radar, and the energy swinging through from east to west, no reason why we can't push 11 or 12 inches (at least for those of us that measure on the board, compaction is going to take over at some point).

patrick

I would hate to say it, but the NAM model may have been on to something.

Snow has picked up again the past hour and radar looks solid.

I may be able to push 12 inches!

Cheers,

Matt

...ORANGE COUNTY...
   HARRIMAN              12.0   900 AM  3/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER        
   MONROE                11.0   900 AM  3/08  PUBLIC                 
   GREENVILLE             9.4  1000 AM  3/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER        
   CHESTER                9.1   855 AM  3/08  PUBLIC                 
   NEWBURGH               9.0   900 AM  3/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER        
   NEW WINDSOR            8.0   630 AM  3/08  PUBLIC                 
   CORNWALL ON HUDSON     8.0   600 AM  3/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER        
   SOUTH BLOOMING GROVE   8.0   910 AM  3/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER        
   MIDDLETOWN             7.8  1000 AM  3/08  PUBLIC                 
   FLORIDA                7.8  1000 AM  3/08  PUBLIC                 
   WARWICK                7.3   725 AM  3/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER        
   WASHINGTONVILLE        5.0   650 AM  3/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER

I'm guessing at least 8 or 9 inches at this point.  still light to ocassionally mod snow.  I measured 7 inches around 630 or so this morning, but since then there's been far too much snow blowing from the roofs & trees fro me to get an accurate measure.

9.6" final here.

Once again eastern orange county is jackpot! lol.. My father sent me a few pics of his property and it looks like a good 13-15" there in Highland Mills..

Yup- you gotta move back down lol

Sun is trying to break out now so the melting is already commencing. The tragedy of March snows! But it was great to see snow falling for 24hrs- even though it didn't accumulate yesterday afternoon. We went from famine to feast these last couple of days.

Guest Patrick

Ended the day with somewhere around 11 for a total... crazy melting this afternoon.  Took my two year old twins out for some sledding... they didn't quite get it.  guess next year will be more fun =)

anyway, here's my backyard... you might be able to make out Lake Wallkill down below.

post-177-0-96241500-1362797161_thumb.jpg

Yup- you gotta move back down lol

Sun is trying to break out now so the melting is already commencing. The tragedy of March snows! But it was great to see snow falling for 24hrs- even though it didn't accumulate yesterday afternoon. We went from famine to feast these last couple of days.

I would love to move back but I'm not a fan of paying 10k+ in property taxes ;)

I would love to move back but I'm not a fan of paying 10k+ in property taxes ;)

Yeah good point lol

I'm around 8k- which isn't terrible compared to some of these other towns. Technically my neitghborhood is considered town of Chester but we have a Monroe mailing address and went there back in the day for school. So that helps.

Good ole death and taxes! 2 things you can rely on- unlike a winter weather forecast : )

Yeah good point lol

I'm around 8k- which isn't terrible compared to some of these other towns. Technically my neitghborhood is considered town of Chester but we have a Monroe mailing address and went there back in the day for school. So that helps.

Good ole death and taxes! 2 things you can rely on- unlike a winter weather forecast : )

Yeah 8k isn't bad.. Im 6500 here and in an awesome school district to boot ( Minisink Valley). MW school taxes are just outrageous now and that HS has pretty much tripled in size since I moved upstate in 99. I remember when the current MS was the HS lol.. Now look at it! Only negative to being out here is it takes me 15-20 extra mins to get to work..

Ended the day with somewhere around 11 for a total... crazy melting this afternoon.  Took my two year old twins out for some sledding... they didn't quite get it.  guess next year will be more fun =)

anyway, here's my backyard... you might be able to make out Lake Wallkill down below.

I just had some oil delivered this morning.. Thy guy was amazed at the amount of snow in Highland Lakes

He informed he lived on the valley floor in Franklin and got around 6-7 inches.

Cheers,

Matt

I just had some oil delivered this morning.. Thy guy was amazed at the amount of snow in Highland Lakes

Cheers,

Matt

areas below 1000 ft generally got between 4-8. i had just under 6 . also my precip melted down  was only .56

Cheers,

Matt

by the way wasnt it u who asked where the best place for snow in NJ?  majority of us told u highland lakes/barry lakes area.  great elevation and close enough to get coastal moisture

Yeah 8k isn't bad.. Im 6500 here and in an awesome school district to boot ( Minisink Valley). MW school taxes are just outrageous now and that HS has pretty much tripled in size since I moved upstate in 99. I remember when the current MS was the HS lol.. Now look at it! Only negative to being out here is it takes me 15-20 extra mins to get to work..

Yeah the MW school taxes are bad. The district has definitely grown since the days when I attended there. You're right- I went to high school at the building that's now the middle school- and junior high was the building across from the commons. Damn I must be getting old lol

Well back to the weather- looks like the snow melt is occurring at a good pace today. Still quite a bit out there but it's days will be numbered I'm sure. Was out last night and encountered some nasty black ice. Will probably see more of that tonight.

And it sounds like winter isn't done in spite of the mild weather over these next few days. Will see what happens. Either way it's been a pretty decent winter in spite of some benign weather at times.

by the way wasnt it u who asked where the best place for snow in NJ?  majority of us told u highland lakes/barry lakes area.  great elevation and close enough to get coastal moisture

Hi,

I may have asked the question over the years. Having only lived in HL a short period of time and my first winter, many of the truths do seem correct.  I assume I am at around 50+/- inches of snow ytd. When I have some time, I will go back and pull some figures.

Hopefully summer is just as nice with t-storms and less heat. The quality of life and people in general are improved compared to my time in Edison, NJ.

Matt

Archived