The Interior/NW Suburbs Winter Thread

Guest Patrick

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

659 PM EST MON FEB 25 2013

.SHORT TERM /6 AM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

THERE IS GENERALLY GOOD AGREEMENT IN THE MASS MODEL FORECAST FIELDS

FOR THE NEXT STORM TO IMPACT THE REGION.

AS THE PRIMARY LOW OVER THE OK/TX BORDER MOVES NE...A SECONDARY LOW

IS FCST TO DEVELOP ALONG A STATIONARY BOUNDARY AND INTENSIFY AS IT

MVS NE TOWARD THE AREA TUE NIGHT AND ACROSS THE REGION WED.

SNOW/ICE FCST...CURRENT THINKING IS THAT EVAPORATIVE COOLING WILL LEAD

TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF SNOW/SLEET ACROSS THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY

AFT SUNSET TUE. THE QUESTION IS HOW MUCH COLD AIR DAMMING WILL

OCCUR TUE NIGHT AS THE SFC HIGH MVS OFF THE COAST AND INCREASING

E-NE WINDS WARM BOUNDARY LAYERS. COULD SEE UP TO 2 INCHES OF

SNOW/SLEET THEN FREEZING RAIN BEFORE THE CHANGEOVER TO RAIN AFT

MIDNIGHT. STAY TUNED.

WIND FCST...ALTHOUGH A STRONG LOW LVL JET OF 50-60 KT DEVELOPS AROUND

925 MB AHEAD OF THE APPROACHING LOW TUE NIGHT UNDER THE TIGHTEST

PRES GRADIENT...LOW LVL INSTABILITY WILL BE LIMITED AND PREVENT

SOME MIXING. CURRENT THINKING IS THAT A WIND ADVISORY WILL BE NEEDED

NYC EAST.

POTENTIAL IMPACTS INCLUDE...

LIGHT SNOW AND LIGHT FREEZING RAIN FROM ORANGE COUNTY NY EAST

ACROSS FAR INTERIOR SOUTHERN CT DURING TUE NIGHT. STAY TUNE FOR A

POTENTIAL WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY.

STRONG EAST WINDS FROM NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA EAST ACROSS LONG

ISLAND AND COASTAL CT LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH EARLY WED THAT

COULD MEET WIND ADVISORY CRITERIA OF SUSTAINED SPEEDS OF 31-39 MPH

OR GUSTS 46-57 MPH.

not really since the last time we had an event like this type the srefs did horrible. had me as 0 snow and i had over 3 inches
Withoout knowing nothing, my gut tells me when I wake up tommorow morn, myforecast will be very different. Prob WWA or WSWatch. Just from experience livinv around here so long.Hoefulllly we dont get an ice storm, cause they just suck.

Sref's in general are horrible imo lol. It will be interesting to see what short range does over night into am though, continue trending cooler with the cad signal or what. Btw folks, current slp position is well s.e of where the gfs had it at this time, just thought I'd throw that out there. Gfs is truly on it's own vs all guidance. These events typically run warmer vs colder though, but the main focus should be how far n.e that primary gets before it occludes. Then focus shifts to when, where and how far s.e that secondary is. This is a fine line were walking for the interior, waa is a scary thing when trying to figure out how far north and fast it surges before the secondary tries to hold or crash the mid levels and 850's. Any slight changes can alter the outcome for borderline areas.

...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR NORTHEAST
PENNSYLVANIA AND PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN NEW YORK LATE TUESDAY INTO
WEDNESDAY...

.A MIX OF SNOW... SLEET... FREEZING RAIN AND RAIN WILL OVERSPREAD
THE AREA LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING. UP TO
SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED ALONG WITH A LIGHT ACCUMULATION OF
ICE. THE PRECIPITATION WILL TAPER TO SCATTERED RAIN AND SNOW
SHOWERS ON WEDNESDAY.

NYZ044>046-057-062-270330-
/O.NEW.KBGM.WW.Y.0006.130227T0000Z-130227T1700Z/
CORTLAND-CHENANGO-OTSEGO-DELAWARE-SULLIVAN-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CORTLAND...NORWICH...ONEONTA...
COOPERSTOWN...WALTON...DELHI...MONTICELLO
1028 PM EST MON FEB 25 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM TUESDAY TO NOON
EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR MIXED PRECIPITATION...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM
TUESDAY TO NOON EST WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...PORTIONS OF CENTRAL NEW YORK.

* HAZARDS...SNOW AND ICE.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW. ICE ACCUMULATIONS OF LESS
  THAN A QUARTER OF AN INCH... MAINLY OVER HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

* TIMING...MIXED PRECIPITATION WILL START TUESDAY EVENING. THE
  HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION WILL FALL OVERNIGHT. THE PRECIPITATION
  WILL DIMINISH WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...UPPER 20S TO MID 30S.

* WINDS...EASTERLY AT 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 25 TO 30 MPH.

RGEM seems to be a little colder as well.. Nice front end thump for the far interior..

That would be very nice to see around here. I wouldn't call that the far interior. Anyone north of I-80 gets into it.

Oh I almost forgot, anyone that lives outside of "The 20 miles that surround Central Park are not an accurate representation of what this sub-forum sees for snow."

That would be very nice to see around here. I wouldn't call that the far interior. Anyone north of I-80 gets into it.

Oh I almost forgot, anyone that lives outside of "The 20 miles that surround Central Park are not an accurate representation of what this sub-forum sees for snow."

lol.. Dont stress it. That whole "Metro Area" thing has been an argument for some time now. Everyone has their opinion when it comes to it. Coming from someone who has lived in NYC for 25 yrs and now lives in the burbs can honestly say there is wayy more to the area than Manhattan. Thats for sure.

gfs snow map

33wqhkg.gif

That looks very weird based off the GFS I saw.  NAM looks colder than GFS yet these snow maps show basically 0 snow for me on NAM and 10-15MM on GFS.

GFS has 850 line intersecting eastern NY basically where NY, Mass, and CT meet by the time only .01 in of precip has fallen.  I don't see how this translates to that map...weird.

That looks very weird based off the GFS I saw.  NAM looks colder than GFS yet these snow maps show basically 0 snow for me on NAM and 10-15MM on GFS.

GFS has 850 line intersecting eastern NY basically where NY, Mass, and CT meet by the time only .01 in of precip has fallen.  I don't see how this translates to that map...weird.

just noticed thats through 240 hrs lol, let me change it

Ouch :unsure:

Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ315 PM EST TUE FEB 26 2013PAZ054-055-271000-/O.CON.KPHI.WS.W.0003.130226T2100Z-130227T1400Z/CARBON-MONROE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JIM THORPE...STROUDSBURG315 PM EST TUE FEB 26 2013...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM ESTWEDNESDAY...* LOCATIONS...THE POCONOS IN NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN.* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...ONE TENTH TO ONE THIRD OF AN INCH.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 2 INCHES BUT UP TO AROUND 4 INCHES AT  HIGHER ELEVATIONS.* TIMING...PRECIPITATION MAY BEGIN AS RAIN OR SNOW LATE THIS  AFTERNOON...BEFORE CHANGING TO FREEZING RAIN...SNOW...AND SLEET  OVERNIGHT. TEMPERATURES SHOULD WARM ENOUGH TO CHANGE THE  PRECIPITATION TO RAIN LATER WEDNESDAY MORNING.* IMPACTS...THE COMBINATION OF SNOW... SLEET... AND FREEZING RAIN  WILL CREATE HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS ON UNTREATED ROADS AND WALKWAYS  TONIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. ISOLATED POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE IF  ICING OCCURS ON TREES AND POWER LINES.* WINDS...EAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOW 30S.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVELVERY HAZARDOUS.&&

The 18z NAM bufkit shows almost 0.25" of ZR at KSWF

130227/0300Z   9  09012KT  32.3F  SNOW   11:1| 0.1|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.007   11:1|  0.1|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.01  100|  0|  0
130227/0400Z  10  08014KT  31.0F  PL      0:1| 0.0|| 0.08|| 0.00|| 0.038   11:1|  0.1|| 0.08|| 0.00|| 0.04   11| 89|  0
130227/0500Z  11  07013KT  31.4F  FZRA    0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.12|| 0.112   11:1|  0.1|| 0.08|| 0.12|| 0.16    0|  0|100
130227/0600Z  12  07014KT  31.5F  FZRA    0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.10|| 0.092   11:1|  0.1|| 0.08|| 0.21|| 0.25    0|  0|100
----------------------------------------------+----++-----+-------------++--------------++-------------++-----------+---+---
130227/0700Z  13  06017KT  33.0F  RAIN    0:1| 0.0|| 0.00|| 0.00|| 0.063   11:1|  0.1|| 0.08|| 0.21|| 0.31    0|  0|100

Archived