Newest Member
    northernriwx
The Interior/NW Suburbs Winter Thread

Guest Patrick

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Patrick

thanks guys. its been snowing up here at some point every day, with all the radar shots being clear..you would think i am at ten thousand feet lol

thanks guys. its been snowing up here at some point every day, with all the radar shots being clear..you would think i am at ten thousand feet lol

It is not uncommon especially towards the beginning or end of storm systems for light snow to linger. It usually originates in the lowest elevations of the atmosphere thus usually under the radar. Remember the further away you are from the radar the higher the radar beam is sampling the atmosphere above you and the more room under for light precip to go undetected.

It is not uncommon especially towards the beginning or end of storm systems for light snow to linger. It usually originates in the lowest elevations of the atmosphere thus usually under the radar. Remember the further away you are from the radar the higher the radar beam is sampling the atmosphere above you and the more room under for light precip to go undetected.

This is true.. Being in NW Sussex county or Orange county your kinda caught between 2 radar sites. I prefer to use BGM

This is true.. Being in NW Sussex county or Orange county your kinda caught between 2 radar sites. I prefer to use BGM

I usually stick with KDIX as it gives me the best view of what is coming my way. Later on after the storm passes I will switch to KBGM to see what is coming in the NW flow though it usually fizzles mostly before reaching me.

1" on the ground already, snow started about 45 minutes ago. Storm appears to be bombing out right now off of the Jersey Shore. If it keeps up like this I think we could go over the NWS forecasted amount of 3-4 here.

EDIT: Just went outside again - the snow is not too fluffy and not wet. It's perfect for making snowmen or having snowball fights.

1" on the ground already, snow started about 45 minutes ago. Storm appears to be bombing out right now off of the Jersey Shore. If it keeps up like this I think we could go over the NWS forecasted amount of 3-4 here.

I think some of us are easily gonna eclipse 3-4"..

2 hrs of the current snow rate will do it.

I think some of us are easily gonna eclipse 3-4"..

2 hrs of the current snow rate will do it.

Yes it seems a band of ~4-7" is going to occur. The current radar trends show a heavy band has formed from about PHI to NYC. This could be an early indication that the heaviest band for later this afternoon into early this evening will probably favor NE NJ over NW NJ, which most guidance suggested anyways. Still could be another area further NW over the general Catskills region more so associate with the remains of the primary and the upper level energy. So no changes with a general 3-5" with a strip of 4-7" probably from north central NJ extending NE to just NW of NYC including parts of interior SE NY and interior SW CT and a general area of 4-8" further NW near the Catskills.

Yes it seems a band of ~4-7" is going to occur. The current radar trends show a heavy band has formed from about PHI to NYC. This could be an early indication that the heaviest band for later this afternoon into early this evening will probably favor NE NJ over NW NJ, which most guidance suggested anyways. Still could be another area further NW over the general Catskills region more so associate with the remains of the primary and the upper level energy. So no changes with a general 3-5" with a strip of 4-7" probably from north central NJ extending NE to just NW of NYC including parts of interior SE NY and interior SW CT and a general area of 4-8" further NW near the Catskills.

If these snow rates continue for another hr or so these advisories should be upped to warnings as the 6" criteria will most likely be met for most on here..

EDIT: Just went outside again - the snow is not too fluffy and not wet. It's perfect for making snowmen or having snowball fights.

Bantor: Just have to say, classic picture of the H.S., you have there. In June, it will be 20yrs since I graduated from there.

If these snow rates continue for another hr or so these advisories should be upped to warnings as the 6" criteria will most likely be met for most on here..

I don't usually concern myself with warnings vs advisories etc as that is the NWS's call and they know a heck of a lot more than I do. Lol In my particular locale it's been generally a steady moderate snow. Looks to be just about 2" thus far. Seems I am on the lighter side than most so a number of ~6-7" totals likely to verify in parts of our region. Not worth worrying myself over a few inches here or there just enjoying what Mother Nature sends my way whether it be 3", 5" or 7"!

Archived