joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Threat Dec 26-28 Period

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was at least post-worthy to note that the cpc D+11 analog composite lists a KU storm (December 23-25, 1966) as the top analog while the D+8 composite lists the same storm as the second analog.

The D+8 composite also lists another KU storm (December 19-21, 2009) as the eighth analog.

I don't know how to interpret the charts, so I'll post them here for more educated posters to comment upon if they so desire.

:snowing:

814analog.off.gif610analog.off.gif

do you think having it track further south like the 18z has it will help the second storm be more frozen for us?

It's a week out and it's the GFS and it's the first GFS run (I think) to have shown this type of solution in the non-truncation (pre-192 range) so I'm applying a healthy grain of salt to my expectations on this storm. ;)

That said, a weaker primary track is going to prevent as much mild air from getting in and if the secondary develops down near DC we should have a pretty decent shot at some frozen precip. The track isn't necessarily farther south on the primary...it still gets to just about Detroit before it pops a secondary (which the 6 and 12z were not doing). It helps it's only around 1000 and not 990 at its strongest....that makes a big difference.

It's a week out and it's the GFS and it's the first GFS run (I think) to have shown this type of solution in the non-truncation (pre-192 range) so I'm applying a healthy grain of salt to my expectations on this storm. ;)

That said, a weaker primary track is going to prevent as much mild air from getting in and if the secondary develops down near DC we should have a pretty decent shot at some frozen precip. The track isn't necessarily farther south on the primary...it still gets to just about Detroit before it pops a secondary (which the 6 and 12z were not doing). It helps it's only around 1000 and not 990 at its strongest....that makes a big difference.

Also, to add to this, the 18z gfs has a much stronger and expansive high than the 12z. Secondly, it had a stronger and further south 50/50 low which fought off the the higher hgts along the east coast and created better confluence.

Even if the primary goes inland we could still be looking at a pretty significant ice storm. The CAD and 2m temps being shown on the GFS this far out is a pretty significant signal that ice may be an issue with the 27-28 storm.

I wouldn't make any comment on 2 m temps modeled by the GFS this far out. It seems that to get a "good" ice storm we typically need some really good cold entrenched beforehand, which doesn't seem to be the case this time.

Archived