amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Storm Threat Dec 26-28 Period

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't there a rule of thumb that storms generally don't ride along the spine of the apps? Either they cut way west or redevelop and head along the coast in response to ocean water temps, or something???

Yes, lows don't like the mountains, but the EC should be the least likely global model to depict it since its got the highest resolution (and thus reacts to the presence of the mountains the best). It DOES happen, just very rarely.

storm goes right up the spine of the apps...imho need that christmas storm further south, below us so it shoves the boundary south of us and advects the cold air in.

50/50 low departs quickly on Euro. A lot of moving pieces in Canada determine strength and position of 50/50 and how much northern stream energy feeds into trough.

50/50 low departs quickly on Euro. A lot of moving pieces in Canada determine strength and position of 50/50 and how much northern stream energy feeds into trough.

Always easier to push out a 50-50 type low when the air isn't that cold and there is no PNA.

it was looking good up untill it decided to run the apps and torch us with wet, chilly rain lol. better than being in Iowa like it was showing 48hrs ago. Interesting to see if the ens pop a secondary. my bet is that it does.

no you could tell it was gonna cut early, the northern stream was phasing in fast. It was already negative tilt before georgia.

no you could tell it was gonna cut early, the northern stream was phasing in fast. It was already negative tilt before georgia.

i was being sarcastic. lol.

lots going on, between the pacific, and ATlantic and Canada. 6-12hrs slower on the northern stream and the coastal areas have a shot. I'm sure its not a final solution. Kinda surprised the EURO didnt pop a secondary, or even attempt to with the friction of the apps. We'll see though.

euro seemed pretty warm even ahead of the main SLP deepening, something to watch for.

i was being sarcastic. lol.

lots going on, between the pacific, and ATlantic and Canada. 6-12hrs slower on the northern stream and the coastal areas have a shot. I'm sure its not a final solution. Kinda surprised the EURO didnt pop a secondary, or even attempt to with the friction of the apps. We'll see though.

euro seemed pretty warm even ahead of the main SLP deepening, something to watch for.

yea thats why i think that christmas wave holds the cards. It goes north of us we get a southerly wind push and warm up. With the following storm right on its heels it never cools down. If that wave is south of us we advect cold air the whole time and that forces the boundary further east and south.

HELLO HOMETOWN runaway! lol..

How you feeling overall about the potential here? im sure most of us are interested to get a tidbit from ya.

lol...

I'm in a punting type of mood and maybe it's affecting my judgement but I'm not thrilled with this setup. Jeez, here I am looking at an awesome 500mb anomaly map but realizing that there is more to it than that. I'm not thrilled with the lack of cold air and progressive Pacific, which I think will take its toll.

Each one of these monster waves, starting with today, will continue to carve out lower heights. The pattern will become slower in early January and more favorable. The AAM would suggest the modeling is rushing the PNA response a bit but they could be right. They would like the first few days of the New Year while the AAM would wait a longer than that (1/4-9).

lol...

I'm in a punting type of mood and maybe it's affecting my judgement but I'm not thrilled with this setup. Jeez, here I am looking at an awesome 500mb anomaly map but realizing that there is more to it than that. I'm not thrilled with the lack of cold air and progressive Pacific, which I think will take its toll.

You should go over to the NYC forum and calm them down ;)

You should go over to the NYC forum and calm them down ;)

haha...not a chance in hell.

This is definitely a good potential for interior areas but I'm not so excited here in S-C NJ. Even with some of the colder GFS solutions, there were still precip type / changeover issues here. I think that just about says it all.

We would need a drastic shift in the placement of features for me to get excited. And that is certainly still possible.

lol...

Each one of these monster waves, starting with today, will continue to carve out lower heights. The pattern will become slower in early January and more favorable. The AAM would suggest the modeling is rushing the PNA response a bit but they could be right. They would like the first few days of the New Year while the AAM would wait a longer than that (1/4-9).

We just keep kicking the can down the road... first it was Christmas, then the end of the month, now closer to the beginning of the year... :)

yea thats why i think that christmas wave holds the cards. It goes north of us we get a southerly wind push and warm up. With the following storm right on its heels it never cools down. If that wave is south of us we advect cold air the whole time and that forces the boundary further east and south.

Yup that's exactly what I was thinking as well. If that little vort cuts to our west it eats our 50/50 help instead of sliding underneath the confluence and hold it intact.

We just keep kicking the can down the road... first it was Christmas, then the end of the month, now closer to the beginning of the year... :)

Meh...The only thing I was debating for mid-late Dec (in the long range) was if there would be a gradient pattern or full blown torch. No can kicking here... yet...lol

From HM himself on the euro Ensembles:

"The 12z ECMWF ensembles are pretty bad if you want accumulating snowfall in the I-95 corridor. It is as simple as that; although, it doesn't mean they're right.

If we had a deeper cold source, this would easily be a winter storm, or all snow event, and the subtleties of the "50-50 low and blocking" wouldn't be nearly as important (unless you are north of the snow/no snow line)."

From HM himself on the euro Ensembles:

"The 12z ECMWF ensembles are pretty bad if you want accumulating snowfall in the I-95 corridor. It is as simple as that; although, it doesn't mean they're right.

If we had a deeper cold source, this would easily be a winter storm, or all snow event, and the subtleties of the "50-50 low and blocking" wouldn't be nearly as important (unless you are north of the snow/no snow line)."

N & W of I95 still in the game and look to do well away from the big cities it would appear. 18Z rolling in, ugh, expect another whacked out solution.

Archived