• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Storm Threat Dec 26-28 Period

Ralph Wiggum

0z gfs is basically the 12z euro ens, but the primary dies faster.

yea. euro never transfers, and bombs the storm due N-NNW into Buffalo. GFS transfers about 6 hrs too late to keep philly jack potted.

the differences between the 0z and 18z GFS are laughable.

wonder if the Xmas wave keeps trending stronger?? lots going on.

that XMas clipper is legit, enough cold air to work with assuming the SLP tracks south of us.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need it to be off the coast like the 18z. The redevelopment isn't going to work.

don't be rediculous. Plenty of transfers work out well for interior sections and along 1-95.

rule of thumb though is you'd like to primary to die and secondary to pop below your lattitude to have a shot at something decent.

yea. euro never transfers, and bombs the storm due N-NNW into Buffalo. GFS transfers about 6 hrs too late to keep philly jack potted.

the differences between the 0z and 18z GFS are laughable.

wonder if the Xmas wave keeps trending stronger?? lots going on.

that XMas clipper is legit, enough cold air to work with assuming the SLP tracks south of us.

The gfs trended towards the euro at h5 for post christmas. It splits the pv and drops it like the euro does. Though, the gfs is later doing this. Also, if that christmas wave doesn't take that track this storm would of been all rain.

Wow, you can see PA would do very well the 12/27 storm. But, I think the Christmas little storm could be even more interesting. That would be cool to have some snow flying Christmas Eve. Still think the storm could develop a little more offshore, but that maybe a challenge. Still a lot of variables on the table for the upcoming week.

Looks pretty bad for us in the city...I hope at least it stays as is for C PA folks they're due.....I was hoping this run would go out to sea (where we want the GFS usually at this time frame). Wonder how much ice is possible in the city...

Per gfs its not much ice at all...take the ptw-ukt-quarryville on north and west stays at or below freezing.

The gfs trended towards the euro at h5 for post christmas. It splits the pv and drops it like the euro does. Though, the gfs is later doing this. Also, if that christmas wave doesn't take that track this storm would of been all rain.

ehh... 0z GFS went back to its 12z solution, differences in transfer aside. The difference between the GFS, GEFS, ECMENS is that they all transfer. EURO op does not. Its an outlier in that solution as of today's runs. the key is the transfer.

but like you mentioned, the xmas eve storm is gona play a role.

I also noticed that the xmas /eve vort was sharper and deeper, but quicker as well. That allowed some separation in the shortwaves. That, in return, allowed heights to rise between the 2, and hence, why the 0z GFS goes back to that more amp'd look. lots riding on not only the strength of the xmas sw, but also the speed.

ehh... 0z GFS went back to its 12z solution, differences in transfer aside. The difference between the GFS, GEFS, ECMENS is that they all transfer. EURO op does not. Its an outlier in that solution as of today's runs. the key is the transfer.

but like you mentioned, the xmas eve storm is gona play a role.

I also noticed that the xmas /eve vort was sharper and deeper, but quicker as well. That allowed some separation in the shortwaves. That, in return, allowed heights to rise between the 2, and hence, why the 0z GFS goes back to that more amp'd look. lots riding on not only the strength of the xmas sw, but also the speed.

The 12z was doing the same as the euro with the pv as is the 0z. It splits it then dives a piece of that into the storm. You can clearly see the differences between the 12z euro and 0z gfs.

1. On the euro the ridge out west is amplified more so than the gfs

2. The gfs has more of an influence from the 50/50 low which suppresses the hgts along the coast.

3. The euro is digging in a piece of the pv that splits more so than the gfs. Its phasing it earlier.

If you look at the actual locations of the storms by both models they are right on. The issue then becomes the gfs has a strong 50/50 low which suppresses the hgts which makes the storm 2ndry. While the euro moves that low way north, builds the hgts along the east coast then chuggs the low up the apps.

gfs-500mb-hgt-mslp-138.png?1356063145

ecmwf500mb-hgt_150.png?1356028154

but the 12z EUro isn't as strong with the xmas eve shortwave, which even as you have alluded to, dictates the downstream confluence. Thats the difference between the GFS and the euro.

don't get me wrong, i do agree with what happens with the 27th system looks like the GFS. but at this point, the euro op is on its own with that scenario. NOT saying it isn't plausible, but today's runs, its a western outlier.

this will all change in 6 hrs anyway!

Archived