joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A snowmobiling thread

Stebo

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be some riding in the thumb if the latest NAM verifies, there is a good loop starting in Sandusky...

Wouldn't mind trying some Ohio trails, but they have hardly any trails that I can find... Usually this is the case with Sub 50 inch average snow regions.

If I buy one sure! I think it's time for me to put $$ down on one, I'm pretty jealous of all these people doing it. Considering we're also in the middle of nowhere all this flat field is great

I'm sure you will get some time to ride that around the local fields, but I highly recommend getting one of these:

snowmobile1.jpg

This takes care of the IMBY problem.... I'm looking at getting a 4 place trailer next year and would be more than happy to bring additional people with me, but you still gotta get it up to Michigan!

Just got back from the Tug Hill Plateau over the New Year and then up to around Jay Peak in far northern Vermont. Was nice to be able to walk in waist deep snow.

Anyone who is a snow lover must take a trip to the Tug. You will be amazed. Regardless of what falls here the rest of the season, I'm going to be jaded. 

So many snowmobilers out that way. Seems like a great place to go.

Just got back from the Tug Hill Plateau over the New Year and then up to around Jay Peak in far northern Vermont. Was nice to be able to walk in waist deep snow.

Anyone who is a snow lover must take a trip to the Tug. You will be amazed. Regardless of what falls here the rest of the season, I'm going to be jaded. 

So many snowmobilers out that way. Seems like a great place to go.

Whats the elevation of the Tug hill? Do they seem to do well with synoptic snows as well? That area got hit with 2 synoptic events, I'm not even sure if 1/10th of it is LES... LES is completely MIA almost nationwide this year.

Houghton received LESS than 20 inches in December.

Been out all this week playing in the local fields. Lots of blowing snow and drifting over the roads too !! A great start for this season. Hope it can return after the rain of this week.

I'm going to do some local riding tomorrow for the first time all year. I have 520 miles on the season, but I had to trailer to ride.

I'm sure you will get some time to ride that around the local fields, but I highly recommend getting one of these:

snowmobile1.jpg

This takes care of the IMBY problem.... I'm looking at getting a 4 place trailer next year and would be more than happy to bring additional people with me, but you still gotta get it up to Michigan!

That's the exact trailer I have. Don't really need to trailer anywhere but it's a great place to store it in the summer.

This takes care of the IMBY problem.... I'm looking at getting a 4 place trailer next year and would be more than happy to bring additional people with me, but you still gotta get it up to Michigan!That's the exact trailer I have. Don't really need to trailer anywhere but it's a great place to store it in the summer.

I have the exact same trailer.

Yeah, those Keweenaw rates are actually pretty good.  I wish I could now...but sign me up at some point in the future...maybe next winter!  I have two small kids, and it's hard to get away for an extended period of time. 

I have a one-day trip already planned in the western UP (near Ontonagon) with my brother on Saturday Jan. 26.  It's good to know there will be plenty of snow on the ground. :)  Personally I would love to see some bitter 0-degree temps on that date...but it looks like the coldest air may be lifting out by then.  We'll see!

If anyone has interest in snowmobiling this winter in the Keweenaw, this place seems to have decent rates... I'm pretty flexible and would love to show you the ropes.

attachicon.gifsnowmobile.jpg

http://www.keweenawsnowmobilerentals.com/

Check out this snow on the way.

5-10.GIF

Rode the trails around copper harbor a few years ago with 3 ft of powder. it was the best time i've had riding. still holding out for some good conditions locally. only have been out a few times this winter so far. starting tomorrow thru next week looks good if you live in nw lower.

Yeah, those Keweenaw rates are actually pretty good.  I wish I could now...but sign me up at some point in the future...maybe next winter!  I have two small kids, and it's hard to get away for an extended period of time. 

I have a one-day trip already planned in the western UP (near Ontonagon) with my brother on Saturday Jan. 26.  It's good to know there will be plenty of snow on the ground. :)  Personally I would love to see some bitter 0-degree temps on that date...but it looks like the coldest air may be lifting out by then.  We'll see!

With my tow vehicle getting 12mpg (trailer cuts it in half), its almost cheaper for me to rent.... The sleds aren't as high end as mine of course... But for a newbie, very nice!

• 2 weeks later...

How fast are you going?

Lots of drunks on the trails?

Ever catch sweet air?

What kind of MPG do you get and how large are the tanks?

Video appears to be taken with a nice camera.

I probably wouldn't be going that fast, if a deer stepped out it would be game over.

How fast are you going?

Lots of drunks on the trails?

Ever catch sweet air?

What kind of MPG do you get and how large are the tanks?

Video appears to be taken with a nice camera.

75% of the time we aren't going that fast.... That area was an old railroad grade between Sault Sainte Marie and Marquette I believe... Flat and boring.

Probably 70-80mph.

My machine gets over 20mpg... It's the cleanest snowmobile made.

Drunks usually are out near town and late, not at 11am in the middle of nowhere... To my knowledge.

GoPro hero3.

Archived