• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A snowmobiling thread

Stebo

I probably wouldn't be going that fast, if a deer stepped out it would be game over.

This. Man one wrong move your history in the woods. Last week when I was up north there were two Sledders that collided with each other in Lake City they were both killed. It's a very dangerous sport.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How fast are you going?

Lots of drunks on the trails?

Ever catch sweet air?

What kind of MPG do you get and how large are the tanks?

Video appears to be taken with a nice camera.

I probably wouldn't be going that fast, if a deer stepped out it would be game over.

Wildlife up there seem to be very dormant... Even the non-hibernating species. If you want to wildlife view, about the only thing you see are crows.. oddly.

But, yea.... One deer and I'm done.

75% of the time we aren't going that fast.... That area was an old railroad grade between Sault Sainte Marie and Marquette I believe... Flat and boring. Probably 70-80mph. My machine gets over 20mpg... It's the cleanest snowmobile made. Drunks usually are out near town and late, not at 11am in the middle of nowhere... To my knowledge. GoPro hero3.

I wasn't concerned as much with how clean it is, mostly wondering how long you can ride before needing to fill up.

This. Man one wrong move your history in the woods. Last week when I was up north there were two Sledders that collided with each other in Lake City they were both killed. It's a very dangerous sport.

Yeah if u lost control at 70 mph with all those trees it would not end good.

Yeah if u lost control at 70 mph with all those trees it would not end good.

I can't control the deer, but I'm a very high end rider.... I would't recommend those speeds for most people and I don't do that in spots that risk others. He was probably going a bit faster than normal for the camera, generally we cruise in the 40mph range.

are there any sled only stations on trails? 

ever go on any large multi-state touring adventures?

They don't plow and salt to the pavement up there... So we share the pumps with cars.

Next month I'm going with 2 others I have never met to central Ontario... Going on a 900 mile ride in the middle of nowhere... 100 miles between towns.

75% of the time we aren't going that fast.... That area was an old railroad grade between Sault Sainte Marie and Marquette I believe... Flat and boring. Probably 70-80mph. My machine gets over 20mpg... It's the cleanest snowmobile made. Drunks usually are out near town and late, not at 11am in the middle of nowhere... To my knowledge. GoPro hero3.

Whats the speed limit?

• 2 weeks later...

The trail system in Ontario is second to none.... Trails are typically wide enough that you never have to worry about hitting anyone else. 

Plus, where else are you going to get good poutine?

You are right though, really no need to go outside Michigan, Wisconsin or Minnesota... We planned this trip way back before winter really kicked off here though.

• 2 weeks later...

Just experienced my first time riding in 5+ feet of snow.... You better be in top condition if you plan on walking in that. We got stuck many times and had to roll the machine over to get it out. 770 miles completed in 3 days.

Wow that's awesome. so does this mean you reached your 2000 mile goal?

Hiking in 30" was tuff enough, I can't imagine 5' of snow.

With all the snowpack up there and on the Eastern shores of Superior in Ontario, and 5-6" on water equiv here in N mich snowpack alone, I'm hoping to see L Mich water level rise some this Spring.  With snowpack and a decent wet spring,I could envision a 10-12" rise on the great lakes by June.

Just experienced my first time riding in 5+ feet of snow.... You better be in top condition if you plan on walking in that. We got stuck many times and had to roll the machine over to get it out. 770 miles completed in 3 days.

Wow that's awesome. so does this mean you reached your 2000 mile goal?

Hiking in 30" was tuff enough, I can't imagine 5' of snow.

With all the snowpack up there and on the Eastern shores of Superior in Ontario, and 5-6" on water equiv here in N mich snowpack alone, I'm hoping to see L Mich water level rise some this Spring.  With snowpack and a decent wet spring,I could envision a 10-12" rise on the great lakes by June.

Yea, water levels should be much better than last winter. There was crazy snow up near Hearst as well, sucks that snow melt ends up in the Hudson bay.

Awesome video!  I was out today. trails are in great shape up here( still 20-25").  I only putter and tool around the woods and hills.... nothing like you do.

I'm going to try and get up there next weekend, might be forced into the UP if it gets too warm. 

If I don't get out this coming weekend, I'll probably summerize the sled and call it a season at 2,120 miles.

Archived