• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Definitely a wintry night. Pretty blustery riding the float in the Christmas parade this evening. Down to 24F with occasional light snow, seems pretty much done now. About half an inch accumulation and the roads are a little slick in spots with black ice. Looks like Cpick chose a couple of good days to visit.

Not counting on much from whatever comes rolling through Tuesday. For snowmobiling purposes, getting the ground and water frozen before the is insulating snow cover is nice. Hopefully the cold comes through.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sultan, first chair I think is 730am(on mansfield,yes is that exceptionally early for resort?, anyway,ill be out there around 830am.and I can report a solid 3inches has fallen at innsbruck inn this pm. Prob 5-8 on mtn when done (should be winding down next cpl hrs). Was just soakin bones in outdoor jacuzzi amid moderate to at times s+

Sultan, first chair I think is 730am(on mansfield,yes is that exceptionally early for resort?, anyway,ill be out there around 830am.and I can report a solid 3inches has fallen at innsbruck inn this pm. Prob 5-8 on mtn when done (should be winding down next cpl hrs). Was just soakin bones in outdoor jacuzzi amid moderate to at times s+

Man nice hit, there was no doubt in my mind.

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.16” L.E.

We were traveling a bit for the holiday, so I can pass along a few observations for the past few days. We headed down to the South Shore area on Thursday, and it was like getting a quick reprieve of autumn, because there were actually some trees with leaves. There was a beautiful maple that still had most of its leaves at our relatives’ place, so it was a treat to watch them slowly drift down as we enjoyed the holiday. Today we headed west to New York along The Pike, and as we approached the Berkshires we could see what appeared to be snow falling in the distance. Sure enough, along the high points of The Pike around midday it was snowing pretty hard and was on the verge of accumulating. Heading northward through the Champlain Valley this evening, temperatures were around the freezing mark and there were flurries around, but no accumulation. Snowfall became a bit more intense as we headed into the mountains from Burlington, but there was still no accumulation until about a mile before our house. This definitely seems like an east side snowfall event based on what I’ve seen on the west side and heard from east side reports. We found 0.4” of new snow here at the house when we arrived, and a total of 0.16” of liquid in the rain gauge.

11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 29.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

2.7" at 1,550ft Barnes Camp last 24 hours. Around 5" summit. 2-5" is the call this morning.

Wind has packed it down and taken a bit of the air out of it... its definitely lost the loft it had yesterday afternoon which is why the numbers might be lower than expected given 2-4" at 4pm yesterday, and seeing as it snowed most of the night. Still snowing lightly this morning.

good to be home. woke up to 17F, jet engine wind, and fast flurries. quick lap up the mountain revealed some nice Dec conditions, wind gusts that stopped you in your tracks, blowin snow and over boot top deep pow on a nice firm frozen grass base, some real nice snow quality and it looks to be a good week

pretty fun trip, classic NNE, left the coast it sunshine and 48F after 2 days of drinking beer with my dad in the driveway, think we both got sunburns on turkey day. stopped in N Conway for lunch, winds were picking up and it was spitting graupel at 33F, once we cut through crawford notch spent the evening in and out of squalls to arrive home to 22F, snow covered ground and decent winds.

a lot to be thankful for.

Had some nice squalls last night which added up to 2" on the nose here.

All is white this morning and it feels like winter truly arrived last evening.

wink.png

Nice! Yeah we went from mild, sunny weather to full on January conditions.

Still snowing and blowing out there. Wind chills are below zero at the summit. Nice dendrites falling but are getting slammed by the winds.

Camera in Morrisville shows the scene around these parts this morning... white!

Yesterday I was looking for post frontal moisture source and it was Lake Huron Georgian Bay per Canadian radar. Snow is wind packed and highly variable typical cold air advection orographic snow showers. Several more bouts Monday night-Tuesday morning, Wednesday night Thursday morning, Thursday night Friday morning before we get ugly warmth again.

The beat goes on

Yeah I know its boring when 1-2" of snow at home is the most exciting thing to happen in weeks and causes me to post radar images every 15 minutes :lol:

Not going to lie, the dry pattern is hanging in the back of my head. It was wet in Sept/Oct for a spell and then like a switch flipped after that. Even Sandy was pretty dry up here.

Yeah I know its boring when 1-2" of snow at home is the most exciting thing to happen in weeks and causes me to post radar images every 15 minutes laugh.png

Not going to lie, the dry pattern is hanging in the back of my head. It was wet in Sept/Oct for a spell and then like a switch flipped after that. Even Sandy was pretty dry up here.

Well, We will have to wait and see how Dec shakes out, If that was to be dry, I would really start to have concerns

Archived