amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2012 Observations and Discussions

Snow_Miser

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice snowstorm on the Euro away from the coast. Way north of the 12z solution.

Roth @ HPC on the model diagnostic disco said to discard the Euro solution. There is too much agreement with the other guidance. Will see if the Euro comes around to the other models in future runs.

In a tweet, this morning, JB wrote:

Joe Bastardi@BigJoeBastardi

@LeeGoldbergABC7 Heh Lee,when was the last time 2 accumulating snows in NYC in Nov,and what is monthly record. Both could be in play

The last time NYC saw two accumulating snows in November occurred in 1938. The November monthly snowfall record is 19.0", which was established in 1898.

In a tweet, this morning, JB wrote:

Joe Bastardi@BigJoeBastardi

@LeeGoldbergABC7 Heh Lee,when was the last time 2 accumulating snows in NYC in Nov,and what is monthly record. Both could be in play

The last time NYC saw two accumulating snows in November occurred in 1938. The November monthly snowfall record is 19.0", which was established in 1898.

Well, we aren't beating the 1898 record, but we do have a shot at 1938, we shall see. I think we can get it done, hopefully.

Well, we aren't beating the 1898 record, but we do have a shot at 1938, we shall see. I think we can get it done, hopefully.

we need an 8" snowstorm to equal 1938...that probably won't happen..

November snowfall...

Greatest monthly snowfall...

19.0" in 1898

14.0" in 1882

12.8" in 1938

_6.3" in 1892

_5.0" in 1896

Biggest snowfalls...

10.0" 11/26-27/1898

9.5" 11/29/30/1882 est...

8.8" 11/24-25/1938

6.0" 11/30/1898

5.0" 11/29-30/1896

4.7" 11/22-23/1989

4.7" 11/07/2012

4.0" 11/29-30/1892

4.0" 11/26-27/1938

3.7" 11/26/1882 est...

3.7" 11/29-30/1945

3.2" 11/30/1967

3.0" 11/24/1898

2.9" 11/30/1995

1882 and 1898 had three measurable snowfalls in November...Then hardly any in December but much more January and February...

While 850s are pretty impressive the cold at ground level is nothing to write home about. Why the disconnect?

No dynamics. Weak system. Most of our precip is from waa and nothing from the actual developing low pressure because its too weak.

This might work in the middle of January, but very tough to get accumulating snows from a waa scenario this early.

We need to get extremely lucky and get into a weenie band, but even then it'll be hard.

No dynamics. Weak system. Most of our precip is from waa and nothing from the actual developing low pressure because its too weak.

This might work in the middle if January, but very tough to get accumulating snows from a waa scenario this early.

We need to get extremely lucky and get into a weenie band, but even then it'll be hard.

I think he was referring to temps over the weekend. Some people said NYC would fail to reach 40 today. That didn't quite work out.

Did someone spill red paint all over the 10 day 500 mb charts. The warm up following whatever falls tomorrow means business. The models hav been emphatic on dumping the trough into the gulf of Alaska for a bit. Looks like 7 to 10 days of above normal. With the NAO and AO so neg during ths period. What am I missing. Usually argues for trough in the east. . Any ideas ?

Did someone spill red paint all over the 10 day 500 mb charts. The warm up following whatever falls tomorrow means business. The models hav been emphatic on dumping the trough into the gulf of Alaska for a bit. Looks like 7 to 10 days of above normal. With the NAO and AO so neg during ths period. What am I missing. Usually argues for trough in the east. . Any ideas ?

Well, there's a trough... its just being pushed aside by the super ridge in the Plains. The real warmth will be there, the east will be peripheral.

Well, there's a trough... its just being pushed aside by the super ridge in the Plains. The real warmth will be there, the east will be peripheral.

Thanks dude. I just hate seeing good indices go to waste. Euro weeklies point to a colder second half of dec But I just remember a yr ago waiting for the PV to rotate out of Alaska. And it never really did. So not sleeping well

The Aleutian/Bering Sea ridge, is not breaking down as was shown, in early December. So that leads another big ULL forming over NE Pacific/GOA. Also the storm tomorrow being weaker, isn't creating a strong enough block in over the Davis Strait to prevent the Plains ridge from expanding east.

Hopefully, the MJO and stratospheric warming progged at 30mb, will change the pattern in the Pacific by mid-December. And there will be another big storm that comes along that enhances the -NAO again.

It's just the pattern reloading. It happens all the time. The good thing is, models say the NAO stays negative, so after the pattern reloads, the weather is usually better than before (meaning the first cold before the reload), so we should be in business 2nd week of Dec,

It's just the pattern reloading. It happens all the time. The good thing is, models say the NAO stays negative, so after the pattern reloads, the weather is usually better than before (meaning the first cold before the reload), so we should be in business 2nd week of Dec,

What makes this a reloading pattern and not the possible pattern moving forward? Only asking because this is kind of what happened last year.

Thanks!

This December is set to begin a little differently than 2010. December 2010 also featured Atlantic and Pacific

high latitude blocking. This December will begin with the Pacific blocking dominating the Atlantic side. The

big positive height anomaly will be over the Bering Sea with a very deep low underneath off the Pacific NW

Coast. The digging deep low over the Eastern Pacific will help pump the SE Ridge and warm things up

in the East next week. We'll probably see a step down in temperatures for week 2 of December as

the deep low in the Pacific fades.

2010 December week 1

next week

Not sure if i buy the 12z GFS bringing the trought back into the east day 11 - it send a system back into eastern canada forcing the trough to dig back in ,( plausable ) . BUT

When i see he trough STILL west of Hawaii and the PV sitting in Alaska i get leary of diggingfor a trough back into the east

for any extended period of time.

Would be more comfortable if either of the 2 broke down .

Archived