northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
November 2012 Observations and Discussions

Snow_Miser

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet another sub freezing night here, 30F right now in Monmouth (under forecast again I might add). At 10 for the month. Radiational cooling FTW.

Interestingly my parents Davis has been running below freezing most of the night (30.6 right now) while TTN, less than 2 miles away and 84 feet higher, has been staying above (currently reading 36).

Central Park had lows around 40 yesterday and today...Where I live it was in the low and mid 30's with frost...The heat island strikes again...If it was 1880 Central park might have recorded minimums in the mid 30's also...

I think it was Monday or Tuesday morning where I had heavy frost in the morning just 3 miles east of LGA and the airport only got down to about 40.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all. Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday and a great day.

Today we can be somewhat thankful for the GEFS taking a Greenland block and strengthening/retrograding it towards the Davis Straight in the long range. Although the Pacific remains uncertain on ensembles in that range -- its always a great sign to see some significant help coming from the Atlantic side.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/ENSHGTAVGNH_6z/ensloopmref.html

We can also all be thankful for that Euro run....barely misses giving us a snowstorm at 144 hrs and then brings in tons of cold air thereafter with plenty of good looking things to talk about in the high latitudes as well as the Atlantic/Pacific.

Euro has it missing us to the south? Where does the low pressure exit the cost?

Euro has it missing us to the south? Where does the low pressure exit the cost?

Low rides the coastal water NNE and misses us east. Not much needed to bring a nice storm for our area. A little more tilt and amplification and euro would've been a nice storm.

We can also all be thankful for that Euro run....barely misses giving us a snowstorm at 144 hrs and then brings in tons of cold air thereafter with plenty of good looking things to talk about in the high latitudes as well as the Atlantic/Pacific.

Brutally cold on the Euro...-20C 850s into New England at 192 hours. Highs in the 20s for the entire area.

There seems to be some disconnect on the models between the developing -NAO pattern and MJO influence on the Pacific. But this a huge positive 500mb height anomaly in the North Atlantic on the 12z GEFS today:

post-187-0-35305700-1353607229_thumb.gif

The GEFS retrograde the positive anomalies associated with the -NAO from Greenland to the Davis Straight, making it more west based.

Huge signal for a -NAO for a smoothed out mean being so far out in the forecast timeframe.

Archived