44.5 in 1997

44.6 in 1980

45.1 in 1971

45.3 in 2000

45.4 in 2007

45.7 in 1989

45.7 in 1986

45.8 in 2008

Just want to add that Central Park sits at 44.7 degrees for the month as of November 19th. Looks like we have a chance to crack the top 5.

Just want to add that Central Park sits at 44.7 degrees for the month as of November 19th. Looks like we have a chance to crack the top 5.

Nah the lows will be pathetic coming up it's really going to kill any chance of maintaining that departure.

The Euro Weeklies today, show the MJO propagating through phases 1,2 and 3. So the first half of December, could s cold and stormy. While the second half of Dec into early January, could see moderation. This winter doesn't look 2010 or 2009 to me, honestly. This could be bookend winter, if the MJO continues it's progression.:

post-187-0-42265400-1353426785_thumb.gif

The Euro Weeklies today, show the MJO propagating through phases 1,2 and 3. So the first half of December, could s cold and stormy. While the second half of Dec into early January, could see moderation. This winter doesn't look 2010 or 2009 to me, honestly. This could be bookend winter, if the MJO continues it's progression.:

It's been 7/8-1-2 and then COD for the MJO recently. Certainly living on the good side of what looks like an MJO that's running in circles right now. But I agree with the potential late dec or Jan moderation/break in the potential action. I think Feb could have lots of goods to offer, though. We'll see!

If this small but relatively high-anomaly ridge over Greenland does develop, with the transient low near the 50/50 position, there could be some support for an overunning event if the shortwave can scoot out northeast towards the Mid-Atlantic. This type of event favors a redeveloping surface low south of LI, but it remains to be seen if the antecedent airmass will support much frozen precipitation south of NYC. If the medium range ensemble guidance is out to lunch with the pattern over the Atlantic/Greenland -- or if the event is timed slower, after these features move out, the surface low can strengthen to the west and then warm air advection will ensue as the surface low cuts to our west. What's even more interesting to me is how, after this period, the GFS maintains the pattern with plenty of cold in Central, Southern Canada/Northern 1/3 of the US...and above normal anomalies from Greenland over the pole into the Aleutians and NW Alaska. Interesting times ahead friends!

f168.gif

Per my station here in Monmouth County, I've recorded 10 nights in November w/ lows at or below 32F. That's very impressive considering my average low doesn't reach 32F until the last couple days of November. 1 sub freezing night in October makes my tally 11 so far this cold season. I'm -3.7 for November so far, by far the coldest month of 2012 wrt normals.

The Euro operational should correct on the next run or 2 for next week . The depth of the trough in the pacific and the heights of the ridge on the west coast argues for a more amplified trough in the east day 7- 10 . SO IT WIL BE COLDER IN THE EAST in this time period , if theres a storm it should not go west of the mtns . The EURO ensembles already show a stronger trough in the east than its 12 z operational .

The Euro ensembles still have more of an east-based NAO ridge after Day 10 with the ridge axis over Iceland. But there are higher than normal heights across Greenland and the poles back towards the Aleutian ridge, so it's not a terrible pattern. Ideally you might want that NAO ridge farther west for big cold -- but that might displace the PV to the south and east and suppress any storm chances.

12zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH192.gif

I like the look of the Euro ensembles a lot. It looks like it's heavily phase 1 MJO influenced -- it moves the Aleutian Ridge to the west, which helps to form lower heights in the eastern Aleutians, helping to form a PNA ridge. I think that would coincide well with the December 5th snowstorm threat.

Also nice to see that ridging move west but not break down -- and it's trying to connect with the Atlantic ridging, which would help form a beautiful ridge bridge and lock in a cold pattern for several weeks.

12z GFS operational was not too good as the cold air has a hard time making it down to this latitude with the main storm track remaining along the US / Canadien border or up through the Great Lakes...if it verifed, you would probably not be far from a positive monthly departure in the Park for November.

So much for that thought...two days later, a negative departure for November is now basically sewn up.

Still keeping an eye on the Saturday evening / Sunday morning period after the cold front moves through...some of the GFS individual ensemble members and the JMA suggesting a wave offshore that could clip eastern sections with a period of snow / probably less than a 20% chance at this point.

Archived