amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2012 Observations and Discussions

Snow_Miser

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GGEM starts off as ice then changes over to rain for most of NJ, then changes back to snow for northern portions of NJ before ending as a wintry mix.

A classic example of a mixed bag precipitation event for some in NJ.

It's not that far away from a snow event for coastal areas.

I had a feeling the models were going to adjust east and south because of the NAO, AO and PNA. A -PNA would argue a further west track but with the NAO and AO dropping towards negative values, that wouldn't happen. You can also thank the -EPO for a southern trend on the models.It can still shift more to the west or even south but the latest runs are agreeing with the Euro.

I had a feeling the models were going to adjust east and south because of the NAO, AO and PNA. A -PNA would argue a further west track but with the NAO and AO dropping towards negative values, that wouldn't happen. You can also thank the -EPO for a southern trend on the models.It can still shift more to the west or even south but the latest runs are agreeing with the Euro.

Cutters can happen quite often even with a -NAO especially as it is trending more negative. What matters even more is the pattern surrounding the storm system, even though those index's may be favorable.

Cutters can happen quite often even with a -NAO especially as it is trending more negative. What matters even more is the pattern surrounding the storm system, even though those index's may be favorable.

Yeah, the NAO starting out neutral or positive tending negative can often not be enough because the established pattern prior to the system is relatively poor.

Really amplified systems would probably cut and the ones that go off the coast in these patterns either have to thread the needle or be very sheared out and thus weak. That's why the Euro is weak. Perhaps it's over shearing the shortwave, though.

The established -NAO is important because it allows for amplified storms to be coastals.

Down to -4.3 temp departure here for November, impressive month. After last night's 29.6F, I've seen 7 nights in the 20s and 11 nights sub freezing in November, not to mention a foot of snow. More snow next week would simply make this the best November ever. In the past few years I've seen record snows in every "cold season" month except for March and April.

Archived