Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 2012 Observations and Discussions

Snow_Miser

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The possibility of some QPF" doesn't make any sense, it's always something that bothered me.

Somehow QPF has morphed into something that means precipitation. If people want to use something as an abbreviation of previpitation they should just stick to precip or liquid.

I have access to the high resolution Euro model from Wright Weather ( the same source that the Weather Channel and CNN use ) and it shows the low in that location at sub 988mb. With total snow accumulations of 6-12 inches for Warren and Sussex Counties in Northern New Jersey, 3-6 inches in Morris and Passaic Counties, and 1-3 inches for Bergen, Essex, Hudson, and Union Counties. I would be very concerned about not only the winds, but also the accumulation of the heavy snow on the trees that are currently leaning on power lines all over the place. If they don't get those off the power lines soon, it will cause further power outages, or people who have had power restored to lose it again.

Looking at the Euro, I'm most concerned about strong winds and coastal flooding again. The low is only around 990mb south of LI. But there is 1033mb high to the north. Fortunately, were between a full and new moon, next week:

ip14wl.jpg

The 00z ECMWF was very close to my area at KSMQ. If the 00z ECM solution were to verify, the precipitation type may keep on switching from a very cold rain to a very wet snow, until the end where there may be backend snow potential IMBY, but such details are meaningless with the storm being 5-6 days away and such details can very easily change.

The warmest the 2 meter temperatures become on the ECMWF when it is precipitating is 36.6 Degrees F for KSMQ.

And keep in mind that the surface temps are typically around 2 degrees too warm on the Euro with these types of situations.

The 00z ECMWF was very close to my area at KSMQ. If the 00z ECM solution were to verify, the precipitation type may keep on switching from a very cold rain to a very wet snow, until the end where there may be backend snow potential IMBY, but such details are meaningless with the storm being 5-6 days away and such details can very easily change.

The warmest the 2 meter temperatures become on the ECMWF when it is precipitating is 36.6 Degrees F for KSMQ.

12z UKMET looks exactly like the 0z Euro.

Wow, that's pretty scary how they really do look quite alike. Not sure how much precip would be in the area and what the precip type would be with that type of a scenario for the NW Burbs.

12z GGEM and 12z GFS are both OTS. The GFS did not phase the northern and southern streams, so the southern piece went out to sea. Timing will be everything with regard to the impacts from this storm.

Usually the GGEM being OTS is a red flag for a storm along the coast since it tends to overphase systems, but the UKMET being so far west is usually a red flag for a very far east and strung out system. We shall see what the 12z ECMWF shows, and if it holds with it's 00z solution or not.

Remember the GFS was out to sea the longest with Hurricane Sandy and the Canadian, as expected did not do very well wither her either. The UKMET and ECMWF looking exactly alike is scary. If the ECMWF comes in with a similar solution again, it is pretty much a lock.

Wow, that's pretty scary how they really do look quite alike. Not sure how much precip would be in the area and what the precip type would be with that type of a scenario for the NW Burbs.

12z GGEM and 12z GFS are both OTS. The GFS did not phase the northern and southern streams, so the southern piece went out to sea. Timing will be everything with regard to the impacts from this storm.

Usually the GGEM being OTS is a red flag for a storm along the coast since it tends to overphase systems, but the UKMET being so far west is usually a red flag for a very far east and strung out system. We shall see what the 12z ECMWF shows, and if it holds with it's 00z solution or not.

Remember the GFS was out to sea the longest with Hurricane Sandy and the Canadian, as expected did not do very well wither her either. The UKMET and ECMWF looking exactly alike is scary. If the ECMWF comes in with a similar solution again, it is pretty much a lock.

The GFS did pretty poorly initially with Hurricane Sandy, but it also nailed the landfall of Tropical Storm Debby back in June. While the ECMWF does generally have a better track record than the GFS, the ECMWF is not always right either with every single scenario it shows.

That is true, but honestly, 90% of the time the Euro is the hand's on favorite and I have seen countless times where the GFS was out to sea. It seems to have a tremendous amount of difficulty handling strong East Coast storms for some reason. It usually sees them, but puts them way out to sea until you get within 5 days. I heard a certain weather person years ago say that he does not use the GFS until it is within 4 days. That appears to be a pretty good rule of thumb. It does not hurt to look at it, but when the Euro shows the storm closer to the coast, that is usually what happens.

The GFS did pretty poorly initially with Hurricane Sandy, but it also nailed the landfall of Tropical Storm Debby back in June. While the ECMWF does generally have a better track record than the GFS, the ECMWF is not always right either with every single scenario it shows.

Archived