Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 2012 Observations and Discussions

Snow_Miser

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, but honestly, even the ECMWF is not far from showing that, and did show just that on the run yesterday morning. The ECMWF mean is further off shore, which tends to tell me that the storm may be just a bit further offshore, allowing a bit more cold air to filter in. He may end up being right.

I love how he hates the GFS but then likes the part that shows snow at the coast... laugh.png

00z GGEM Ensembles are west and more amplified than the 12z GGEM Ensembles from yesterday. They are also quite a bit colder than the 12z GGEM Ensembles from yesterday, fitting the overall cooler trend with the model guidance last night.

00zggemensemblep12120.gif

0z GGEM Ensembles at hour 120

12zggemensemblep12132.gif

Yesterday's 12z GGEM Ensembles at hour 132.

I am sorry, but if you put a 978-982mb low 50+ miles off the Jersey Shore, I am struggling to see how Northern New Jersey gets rain, regardless of what the models are currently showing. I don't buy it. This is not a warm core hurricane like sandy that will bring warm in in with it. With a Northeast wind and a cold core system of that strength, it is my estimation that the models are over-forecasting the warm air and it will trend colder. This could be disaster for the coast with the winds coming off the ocean, and disastrous for areas just inland in Northern New Jersey with strong winds and heavy wet snow accumulating on the trees that are already leaning on the power lines.

I am sorry, but if you put a 978-982mb low 50+ miles off the Jersey Shore, I am struggling to see how Northern New Jersey gets rain, regardless of what the models are currently showing. I don't buy it. This is not a warm core hurricane like sandy that will bring warm in in with it. With a Northeast wind and a cold core system of that strength, it is my estimation that the models are over-forecasting the warm air and it will trend colder. This could be disaster for the coast with the winds coming off the ocean, and disastrous for areas just inland in Northern New Jersey with strong winds and heavy wet snow accumulating on the trees that are already leaning on the power lines.

Last night's models trended quite a bit colder, and can be exampled in the GGEM ensemble charts I posted, so your idea may be correct.

Someone forgot its only early November, not early February.

Your not seriously going to preach that are you? Someone must have forgot we had a huge snowstorm last year in late OCTOBER. Someone must have forgot we just were impacted with a storm (Sandy) that these areas dont see in a century!

If your really about to say a wet accumulating snowfall cant happen in early November, your opinion is humorous.

Your not seriously going to preach that are you? Someone must have forgot we had a huge snowstorm last year in late OCTOBER. Someone must have forgot we just were impacted with a storm (Sandy) that these areas dont see in a century!

If your really about to say a wet accumulating snowfall cant happen in early November, your opinion is humorous.

If the storm blows up near our area, I can see how cold air is drawn into the system and even the big cities see snow. JB on his latest video said the cities will see snow. As of now, this will be a cold rain for the NYC area.

If the storm blows up near our area, I can see how cold air is drawn into the system and even the big cities see snow. JB on his latest video said the cities will see snow. As of now, this will be a cold rain for the NYC area.

Worst case scenario, these areas hit by sandy see an accumulating wet snowfall. Winds gust to 60 on these latest models, and you get another round of down trees and powerlines everywhere. Damn..

This is actually one storm no one wants to see right now. Talk about no power for a VERY long time..

I did not forget. I have seen many late October significant snowstorms in Northern New Jersey in my life, including one just last year, and this is early November. If this were middle October, I would agree with you, but it is early November and that makes a massive difference.

And we get a hurricane Sandy every year. Gotcha.

It CAN happen, but it needs more than just a deep low. It needs cold air, as always. Latest GFS and EC only have 534 thickness down to southern Ontario. Last October it was all the way down to Kentucky. Can't get snow without a good supply of cold air.

I did not forget. I have seen many late October significant snowstorms in Northern New Jersey in my life, including one just last year, and this is early November. If this were middle October, I would agree with you, but it is early November and that makes a massive difference.

I see now that you are in Warren County. NorthWESTERN New Jersey. Big difference between there and, say, Fort Lee.

I already said earlier that the EC does give NW NJ some snow.

Archived