12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November 2012 Observations and Discussions

Snow_Miser

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a NEG tilted trough .This storm is goin to feedback and deepen . Its goin to create the cold air neccesary so 20 miles off the coastal plain theres the potential for 6 inches of snow. The GFS probably corrects west as we get closer " it almost always does " . My main concern here is along the coast its 40 degrees , 50 MPH NE winds gusts with 2 inches of rain in areas that have no power , limited road access, very little fuel and people at risk of exposure . A moderate snow event is managable , but on the heels of Sandy is scary . You cant knock anymore power out next week or send anymore tankers out to sea to wait out another storm , you will stretch resources to the brink here .

Tropical system: check.

Early season cold system: check.

Incoming ridge afterward: check.

This winter will not resemble anything like last winter . A ridge builds after this yes , it doesnt lock in .

just chillax , If you like cold and snow , you will appreciate this winter .

This would knock out the refineries too, and in NW NJ we still have trees hanging on power lines everywhere. Put near-blizzard conditions with 6-12 inches of snow on top of that, and well, we have a disaster again. No doubt about it. THis is NOT GOOD!

This is a NEG tilted trough .This storm is goin to feedback and deepen . Its goin to create the cold air neccesary so 20 miles off the coastal plain theres the potential for 6 inches of snow. The GFS probably corrects west as we get closer " it almost always does " . My main concern here is along the coast its 40 degrees , 50 MPH NE winds gusts with 2 inches of rain in areas that have no power , limited road access, very little fuel and people at risk of exposure . A moderate snow event is managable , but on the heels of Sandy is scary . You cant knock anymore power out next week or send anymore tankers out to sea to wait out another storm , you will stretch resources to the brink here .

Sure taking the model verbatum, but do you really think that with a 981mb low 100 miles off shore that the mid-levels will be warm? I personally doubt it.

With a 981mb low 100 miles off shore, you're going to have a heck of a fetch of warm (it's only November) marine air being lifted and moved inland. If you're under that, your mid-levels will be warm. At least until the flow can shift around as the storm gains latitude. Could be a snow-mix-snow scenario, but I'm not sure about wraparound in this case.

This winter will not resemble anything like last winter . A ridge builds after this yes , it doesnt lock in .

just chillax , If you like cold and snow , you will appreciate this winter .

I'm very relaxed. My expectations each year are that of winter 11-12. If I expect a decent year and it busts I'll be very disappointed. I consider each storm we do get a mini miracle :lol:

Thank you for the input. I am not sure you understand though, I am talking about Northern New Jersey, not NYC or the coast. Here, we are 150 miles inland from the center. My experience with storms in that position is that the models under forecast the cold air that the dynamics produce until we get within 72 hours or so.

With a 981mb low 100 miles off shore, you're going to have a heck of a fetch of warm (it's only November) marine air being lifted and moved inland. If you're under that, your mid-levels will be warm. At least until the flow can shift around as the storm gains latitude. Could be a snow-mix-snow scenario, but I'm not sure about wraparound in this case.

Thank you for the input. I am not sure you understand though, I am talking about Northern New Jersey, not NYC or the coast. Here, we are 150 miles inland from the center. My experience with storms in that position is that the models under forecast the cold air that the dynamics produce until we get within 72 hours or so.

Yeah yeah, not really worried about Warren/Sussex here, not as modeled on the GFS, anyway. My comment was more about less elevated inland areas.

My biggest concern for inland isn't the snow - it's the continued cold/wet regime for areas still without power. My house temp bottomed out at 55.7 before getting power back on Thursday night. It can only be worse for others.

Archived