12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
November 2012 Observations and Discussions

Snow_Miser

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GGEM had it and then lost it completely, then had it coming ashore in northern Maine. The Euro caught on and held steady with a NJ landfall.

Last post of the day. Board's loss...

GGEM had it the Sunday prior 10/21/12..had it for a couple runs then lost it for a run or two out to sea... Believe the Euro had it starting that Monday, with a DELMARVA landfall, then made one adjustment north. Amazing.

-

On the other hand, models were not that great with this past snowstorm. We were supposed to get mostly rain and instead got 8 inches of snow with little to no warning

The Day 10 Euro just has another basic event around here with tropical moisture phasing with a Central US trough, getting caught under blocking to the north and forming a big ULL over the Northeast.

Not what you want to see on the euro right now, even though its just a signal at this point. The weenie in me wants to see it but im talking about normal peeps.. The blocking goes nuts up north, the tropical connection, the 1040mb high, the cutoff trough. Ouch

Not what you want to see on the euro right now, even though its just a signal at this point. The weenie in me wants to see it but im talking about normal peeps.. The blocking goes nuts up north, the tropical connection, the 1040mb high, the cutoff trough. Ouch

So the potential is rather ridiculous.. Obviously fantasy right now, but what if? Right?

Interesting to see the locallized effects of the few inches of snowpack remaining in Monmouth/Ocean Counties.

Temps right now slightly colder there compared to surrounding towns, and NWS forecast lows tonights suggest 30-31F in the snow cover area, cooler than the rest of NJ.

qnmi54.jpg

10z8phc.jpg

12z Euro Ensembles. A pattern with a GOA trough and a west to east ridge across Canada, doesn't support major phasing event.

post-187-0-21810700-1352497129_thumb.gif

Whatever shortwave gets trapped under the block in Quebec will phase with whatever other shortwave gets trapped under the block in Quebec. All this while there's a 1040mb high over Northern Maine. One of the disturbances might even be of Tropical Atlantic origin meaning it will be juiced. Fun pattern. I hope it stays offshore.

I don't think we've broken our -NAO streak yet. With the way things look we could have some more early season storm threats into December

I think the potential development of the poleward Aleutian high and associated stratospheric warming over Asia, combined with a declining NAO, will put us back in an interesting pattern post 11/20.

In the meantime, it should be pretty quiet around here, but the really mild weather is only Sunday-Tuesday. Tomorrow looks near average with morning lows in the mid 30s and highs in the mid 50s for Westchester. We then see a sharp cooldown mid week with highs Wednesday and Thursday in the lower 50s, which is actually a few ticks below average. I'm pretty sure November finishes below normal, and it could be significantly so if the last week is cold. Average highs on Thanksgiving are still 50F or so here in Westchester.

In the meantime, it should be pretty quiet around here, but the really mild weather is only Sunday-Tuesday. Tomorrow looks near average with morning lows in the mid 30s and highs in the mid 50s for Westchester. We then see a sharp cooldown mid week with highs Wednesday and Thursday in the lower 50s, which is actually a few ticks below average. I'm pretty sure November finishes below normal, and it could be significantly so if the last week is cold. Average highs on Thanksgiving are still 50F or so here in Westchester.

Agree. I had thought that October would be our first neg departure month in awhile, but the Northeast didn't get into the deep cold that the Mid-west/OH Valley/Lakes saw for the much of the month.

November will almost certainly finish below normal temp wise IMO. Next week will be warm, but we're only looking at a few days of "torch" weather. Late November looks seasonable to me right now. The progged blocking is a bit too far away to be seen as real at this point. If there is in fact a stratospheric warming event that can propagate downward, then our chances for a -AO/NAO December increase significantly.

The pattern being advertised aloft is not a dead similarity to Sandy but it essentially accomplishes the same basic things if the models are correct with their idea of having the strong blocking high to the north.

The difference is that this feature is far less anomalous as modeled than the one which forced Sandy into our area. During Sandy we saw one of the most incredible NF blocks which built in from the northeast.

Archived