joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy Snow Chase(rs) - Major Snow Event

BeauDodson

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could I make it to Davis in 2WD in the current conditions from DC?

You shouldn't have a problem getting here. Parking is the toughest thing with all the snow piles the plows have made and the extreme effort it takes just to shovel out a space.

On a sad note, we lost the old apple tree next to the Meyer House overnight as it split down the middle and fell. Doesn't look like any damage to the house or deck, but I'll miss that old tree -- it was a really nice apple tree.

7:00 AM

10/31/2012 34 in. Snow 5 SE Gatlinburg Sevier, TN

MORNING REPORT ON MOUNT LECONTE OF SNOW TOTAL 34 INCHES WITH DRIFTS TO UP TO THE ROOF OF THE DINING HALL.

10/31/2012 36 in. Snow 7 SE Gatlinburg Sevier, TN

36 INCHES OF SNOW WAS ESTIMATED AT NEWFOUND GAP THIS MORNING.

Pretty white in the Great Smokies also!

We made it home this evening. The trip down the mountain was treacherous - at best. You can see from the photos - there was significant tree damage in some areas.

We measured over 30" of snow - I have no idea how much it snowed. We know that it was over 3'. How much over 3' is the question.

Quite the storm - amazing. Appreciate Jon letting us stay at his place. Some photos below of Adam and his car - digging out.

I can vouch for others who said the snow had a STRONG bluish tint. It reminded me of some glacier's I have seen in Alaska. Very strong bluish color to the snow - when you stepped down into it.

I will post some more photos below - might take me a few posts

All of these are Davis - a few are the trip down from Davis.

YL2aE0083-M.jpg

Archived