joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For us who are a little bit more "weather" challenged could you spell it out? I'm assuming though it's probably not good if you want snow.

^^ that showing convection around the dateline?

Yeah, the pattern will continue to become more and more conducive for East Coast snow as we head through the holidays, but if I were betting, I'd wait until around the New Year to come up with something for the I-95 corridor.

And just to show the pattern is somewhat changing, here's the 6z GfS

Today

rede9e7u.jpg

Then hour 132

a3a4uvej.jpg

Check out the height differences in Alaska. This cuts off the lower heights/colder feeding into BC and the west coast, slowly eroding them away, eating away at the neg PNA.

This isn't going to be instantaneous, and will take a week or so to establish itself and reset, so to speak, the higher latitudes.

More needs to happen, but it's a start.

And just to show the pattern is somewhat changing, here's the 6z GfS

Today

rede9e7u.jpg

Then hour 132

a3a4uvej.jpg

Check out the height differences in Alaska. This cuts off the lower heights/colder feeding into BC and the west coast, slowly eroding them away, eating away at the neg PNA.

This isn't going to be instantaneous, and will take a week or so to establish itself and reset, so to speak, the higher latitudes.

More needs to happen, but it's a start.

nice grahpic, looks like the mega ridge over alaska region moves east and almost hooks up with greenland ridge to pinch off the polar vortex that is feeding the west coast trough?

On another note, I do see the potential for small hail tomorrow afternoon from scattered showers, steep low level lapse rates expected. I've been in short term land today. Feel free to pass along any small hail reports if it does occur. Otherwise enjoy more fog with a side order of fog tonight :wacko: .

You nailed it. A brief period of small hail just passed in Horsham, PA.

Nobody is going to like 0Z GFS. It did this cool time travel thing and moved the cutter up two whole days to christmas day

Some MAJOR differences how it handles the shortwaves interacting as they hit the coast... The streams remain seperate, the Xmas precip is entirely northern stream, the southern stream remains progressive, and digs I to the gulf...

Big differences verbatim on that run. It's actually a huge step towards something interesting here.

Some MAJOR differences how it handles the shortwaves interacting as they hit the coast... The streams remain seperate, the Xmas precip is entirely northern stream, the southern stream remains progressive, and digs I to the gulf...

Big differences verbatim on that run. It's actually a huge step towards something interesting here.

yup big changes models in chaos beyond the mid range, anythings possible

and just another example of the differences between 0z &18z through 6z xmas morning:

flatter ridge, less digging:

no phase off the over cali/SW US

stronger block towards the davis straights...

All models split the western trough last night which is a big change. Increases the snow threat further east though still unlikely here.

Interesting to note that the Op GFS at 0z was much slower than virtually all of its ens members.

With the 6z GEFS, only 2 members are more wrapped up/west of the Op (which may be biasing the mean that way since one gets down into the 970's) while the rest look more strung-out. At least 5 panels look like they would deliver snow somewhere in the Mid-Atlantic (although that's not to say all 5 are bombs for Philly...that's hardly the case).

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your weenie run:

The 0z FIM, goes full-blown Miller B with at least 0.50" falling as snow along and northwest of 95.

3hap_sfc_f210.png

With that track you'd think there would be temperature issues, but the 540 line is right on 95. I'm not sure what that purple "32" line is. Since it's Fahrenheit, I'd guess surface temp, but I would've guessed that's too far south for a 32 F isotherm in a set-up like that, so I'm not sure.

Archived