• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Medium/Long Range Discussion

tombo82685

Last two days the 00z gfs has had a pair of what look like vapor locked runs. Wonder what has been giving it fits. 500mb pattern looks like its going to be ninaish the first half of month.

It seems right now we're suffering a similar hangover from that raging La Nina in 10-11 as we did from that raging Nino in 90-91 where we still saw effects into 94-95.  I think we might finally get rid of the effects next winter, but you can tell the atmosphere and storm tracks are still wanting to go La Nina like at times this winter.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems right now we're suffering a similar hangover from that raging La Nina in 10-11 as we did from that raging Nino in 90-91 where we still saw effects into 94-95.  I think we might finally get rid of the effects next winter, but you can tell the atmosphere and storm tracks are still wanting to go La Nina like at times this winter.

Yep.  I completely agree and thanks for explaining it.   I do think next winter won't be anything to write home about, either.   It does not mean NO SNOW....but big, cold storms will be hard to come by.   That's why I think the storm just past was a snowlovers blessing....3" might well be a good storm over the next couple winters.

Agree that effects of la-Nina are lingering. The el-nino crapping out was a bad sign

Agree that effects of la-Nina are lingering. The el-nino crapping out was a bad sign

I think the La Niña like pattern (at least in terms of lakes cutters and troughing in the west, though the Northern Tier has been warmer than it normally is during Niñas) is more a result of the currently cooling Pacific and +SOI regime than anything that's happened in previous winters. I'm not a big fan of the hangover theory, and it makes far more sense to me that the strong -PDO combined with cooling ENSO regions RIGHT NOW is what's causing the pattern to be favoring La Niña/SE ridge. 

Archived