joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Medium/Long Range Discussion

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First truly promising sequence for a colder pattern starting to show up on the GEFS beyond next week's storm last night. Looks like we are getting an -ao/+pna connection. Roundy assisted? There is another ssw suggestion showing up in Siberia, but I never know if these will occur and if they do will it just pull a Feb 2012 on us. Either way the former looks promising. The NAEFS while not cold has been cooling NOAM the last week or so. Normal would cut it in January.

First truly promising sequence for a colder pattern starting to show up on the GEFS beyond next week's storm last night. Looks like we are getting an -ao/+pna connection. Roundy assisted? There is another ssw suggestion showing up in Siberia, but I never know if these will occur and if they do will it just pull a Feb 2012 on us. Either way the former looks promising. The NAEFS while not cold has been cooling NOAM the last week or so. Normal would cut it in January.

Tony, to me the roundy mjo looks blah just very weak -olr, to me that says COD lingerance with no real big wave.

2012.png

Strongly -AO, PNA moving in the right direction, active STJ...pieces are starting to line up. Hopefully it works out for us. Also don't decent storms tend to happen out here when the PNA is transitioning? I suppose all we lack right now is an El Nino, but neutral certainly beats a strong La Nina. Then again the NAO may be going positive soon, so that could hurt. Still, I think things are fairly decent over the next week or two--not sure about further down the line.

Strongly -AO, PNA moving in the right direction, active STJ...pieces are starting to line up. Hopefully it works out for us. Also don't decent storms tend to happen out here when the PNA is transitioning? I suppose all we lack right now is an El Nino, but neutral certainly beats a strong La Nina. Then again the NAO may be going positive soon, so that could hurt. Still, I think things are fairly decent over the next week or two--not sure about further down the line.

Actually I think they are more likely when the NAO is transitioning, not the PNA.

GFS honking big time around NEw years.

split flow.. ULL spits out energy, heavy mositure coming from SW of BAJA into SE US while PV dropping south of Hudson into central US.. like a frozen turkey in hot grease.

Let's hope the "always ten days away" bug doesn't hold serve over these next couple weeks. There is certainly plenty to keep an eye on...trying to remain realistic about the chances haha.

by the way, adam on the main page thinks this cold shot is short lived.(2,maybe 3 weeks).... looking at some of the longer range GEFS, it goes back to a pretty wretched pacific. Adam says the MJO /tropics become unfavorable after this brief window.

think of this as a reverse jan thaw.....

Archived