joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long Term Disco

IWXwx

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jon Davis showed how Sandy put so much latent heat and momentum into the jet stream, that it melted 1/5 of the snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere.

That's an interesting, fun fact! It's kind of funny because Sandy ended up producing snow! 1/5 of the snow cover in late October, really early November wouldn't be covering the area it is now, so good thing Sandy didn't come much later into the season. I'm guessing a lot of that melted in Scandanavia and the Labrador?... Good amount of snow pack now established over the NH now!

I'm thinking this month might be lost... At least through the 20th. Not a good start to this winter, Europe on the other hand will get a second straight A+ start the winter.

Jon

In 12 hrs you will post...

I'm thinking this month might get interesting... At least through the 20th. decent start to this winter, Europe on the other hand will get a second straight A+ start the winter.

Looks pretty decent to me. Maybe not huge storms but enough cold to give us snow depth

***POST RETRACTED***

It was not quite 12 hrs but I knew you would change your mind...You change your mind like my 2 year old daughter gets her diaper changed.

I noticed in the NE forum ORH mentioned that pretty much all ensembles agree on a -NAO, which I know can be better for them than us for bigger storms, but its very good for at least a wintry time of things.

Regardless it is looking like colder weather is moving in. Its not so far in fantasy land. As nice as a big storm would be, we have months to worry about that. I just want SOME snowcover down for a festive Christmas mood. I have an outdoor Christmas event Dec 18th Im REALLY hoping is white. A word for the wise as we gear up for clipper season. Based on my observations of clippers in the past...Clippers are THE most notorious of ALL weather systems for popping up with only a few days notice. The reverse is also true (clippers showing up and then disappearing), though not quite as common. Any time a clipper is modeled like a week out (or more) and it stays the course the whole time (by stays the course I mean it stays on the models, its track will shift no matter what) chances are you will be seeing a nice clipper with "overperformer" written all over it.

The next 2 weeks are more exciting than any one day in my neighborhood during winter 2011-2012.... I can't say that for Grayling, right Josh? :)

At least the potential is there, lets see if we get some fun! Last winter, the Feb 10/11 arctic front was one of the coolest things Ive been out it because it went from a completely calm snowglobe to a loud, windblown whiteout in LITERALLY seconds. BUT that was it for the excitement locally for the entire winter (all our other events were very run-of-the-mill light snowfalls).

On the other hand...the Grayling storm was AWESOME! It was their best storm AND deepest snow in several years, not to mention one of the locals told me they NEVER get such deep, wet (ie picturesque) snow (its usually powder)....and we were there! Whats funny is as bad as my luck is for getting the BIG 13"+ storm...I have no problem seeing thundersnow, which I consider lucky because not everyone gets to see it.

My list grows by the year....all storms with the exception of Mar 2, 2012 are imby/dtw. These are what I have PERSONALLY experienced....there were others that supposedly had TSSN but I didnt see it

Feb 22, 2003

Mar 4, 2008

Dec 19, 2008

Feb 1, 2011

Feb 20, 2011

Mar 2, 2012

If I had to rank the most amazing thundersnow, itd be:

Mar 4, 2008

Feb 20, 2011

Mar 2, 2012

At least the potential is there, lets see if we get some fun! Last winter, the Feb 10/11 arctic front was one of the coolest things Ive been out it because it went from a completely calm snowglobe to a loud, windblown whiteout in LITERALLY seconds. BUT that was it for the excitement locally for the entire winter (all our other events were very run-of-the-mill light snowfalls).

On the other hand...the Grayling storm was AWESOME! It was their best storm AND deepest snow in several years, not to mention one of the locals told me they NEVER get such deep, wet (ie picturesque) snow (its usually powder)....and we were there! Whats funny is as bad as my luck is for getting the BIG 13"+ storm...I have no problem seeing thundersnow, which I consider lucky because not everyone gets to see it.

My list grows by the year....all storms with the exception of Mar 2, 2012 are imby/dtw. These are what I have PERSONALLY experienced....there were others that supposedly had TSSN but I didnt see it

Feb 22, 2003

Mar 4, 2008

Dec 19, 2008

Feb 1, 2011

Feb 20, 2011

Mar 2, 2012

If I had to rank the most amazing thundersnow, itd be:

Mar 4, 2008

Feb 20, 2011

Mar 2, 2012

The 6 inches we got on 11-29/30 was the highlight last year, but that wasn't technically into met winter!

Loving the death of the GOA trough, which is something that most of the models have been hinting at in the extended. However, the spatial setup kind of concerns me. The E PAC ridge looks too far west for those of us in the eastern part of the subforum. It's like a pseudo +EPO, which is generally not a good teleconnector. The whole pattern is conducive for a SE ridge to keep popping up and allowing storms to amplify and go to the NW. We'll likely have to wait until -NAO establishes itself in full to act as a suppressant on the storm track.

Very well could be a historic pattern for ORD and MKE, like HM said. Unfortunately, the wealth may not be spread around.

Loving the death of the GOA trough, which is something that most of the models have been hinting at in the extended. However, the spatial setup kind of concerns me. The E PAC ridge looks too far west for those of us in the eastern part of the subforum. It's like a pseudo +EPO, which is generally not a good teleconnector. The whole pattern is conducive for a SE ridge to keep popping up and allowing storms to amplify and go to the NW. We'll likely have to wait until -NAO establishes itself in full to act as a suppressant on the storm track.

Very well could be a historic pattern for ORD and MKE, like HM said. Unfortunately, the wealth may not be spread around.

Did you see the 00z GFS?

Archived