amirah5
Long Term Disco

IWXwx

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh.....

But....

The pacific might be turning the page which is a good thing. The 6z GFS and GFS ensembles didn't look all the bad either.

Neither did the 0z EURO ensembles. Much more ridging over the E PAC than the OP model, along with a more prominent -NAO. Basically has a gradient pattern across our neck of the woods from D7-10 with most of us on the cold side of it. AO looks neutral to maybe weakly positive (I don't have the index numbers, just basing this on where the PV is), but it's still plenty cold enough for snow this far south. Just nothing brutally cold.

Neither did the 0z EURO ensembles. Much more ridging over the E PAC than the OP model, along with a more prominent -NAO. Basically has a gradient pattern across our neck of the woods from D7-10 with most of us on the cold side of it. AO looks neutral to maybe weakly positive (I don't have the index numbers, just basing this on where the PV is), but it's still plenty cold enough for snow this far south. Just nothing brutally cold.

Sounds very 2007-08 esque to me :thumbsup:

If its not one thing.... its another. That's been the issue with getting a more traditionally cold pattern in place the last 2 years. We are going to replace the negative PNA with a positive one, but the lack of blocking by Greenland is killing us in the long range.

If its not one thing.... its another. That's been the issue with getting a more traditionally cold pattern in place the last 2 years. We are going to replace the negative PNA with a positive one, but the lack of blocking by Greenland is killing us in the long range.

No reason to complain. Go check out the H5 plots on the EURO ensembles beyond D7. They're available here at americanwx in the models section. Assuming perfection in a pattern is all but impossible, you can't do much better than that in terms of snowfall potential. Now, we just gotta get this stuff out of fantasy land. That's the next hurdle.

We gotta erase that from our collective memories. Never going to happen again. I'll settle for a 2004-05. Did you realize that was the last winter we had a normal snowfall winter? Seven winters since, it's been a polemic. You're either crazy snowy or a snow desert.

I know. I still have vivid memories of that historic winter. I would gladly take a 2004-05 winter. Jan 2004 was epic with bitter cold and then a crazy snowstorm that gave me 20" from lake effect.

Very 2007-2008 like. Wasnt brutal cold but enough to make for some fun.

I know. I still have vivid memories of that historic winter. I would gladly take a 2004-05 winter. Jan 2004 was epic with bitter cold and then a crazy snowstorm that gave me 20" from lake effect.

Jan 2004 was in the winter of 2003-04, which overall was kind of crap, but yeah, that January storm was something. Only 13" here as the persistent banding just missed me to the south.

Looking back a bit this fall these euro weeklies haven't been the best.

590x375_11301359_nov30a.png

590x375_11301400_nov30b.png

590x375_11301401_nov30c.png

If threre was a crystal ball to see the weather future, out of the contenders these seem to be performing very well as well as the euro. Personally the GFS is a dream which never comes true as of late....

The 12z GFS was the second run in a row which had a warmer solution in the medium to long range. Sounds awfully familiar? Are the forecasts for cold by JB and DT (wxrisk) going to bust yet again?

My advice to you is don't look at every operational run of the GFS or ECWMF. They have no idea of whats going to happen in the long range. Ensembles are the way to go and IMO they look very good.

My advice to you is don't look at every operational run of the GFS or ECWMF. They have no idea of whats going to happen in the long range. Ensembles are the way to go and IMO they look very good.

From one Canadian blizzard to another, thank you for the sound advice!

What are the ensembles saying for Sunday 9th? I have travel plans. Should I be concerned? (sorry moderators!)

Ensembles do look good... Its not a full blown trough, but its a general sag of cold over the northern 1/3rd of the country.

The 12z GFS was the second run in a row which had a warmer solution in the medium to long range. Sounds awfully familiar? Are the forecasts for cold by JB and DT (wxrisk) going to bust yet again?

Assuming the features in the Atlantic are modeled correctly by the GFS, I would expect the D6-8 storm to come in further south. There's ridging over Greenland and a pseudo-50/50 low over the Atlantic Provinces. Right now, it looks like it's trying to drive the low right into the blocking. HM in the New England thread mentioned this as well.

But that blocking is key, because the placement of the main longwave trough is not good for us otherwise. No blocking, just rain.

This is like needing sex. I am afraid many more people will follow the 168-240hr 18z GFS because of this starvation than usual. Luckily, I will not be one of them. We needed a 1977 type beginning to calm the nerves. Confidence is at a all time low. Nobody believes anymore always expecting the worst.

/thread

I'll have to hop on my PC to get a better look, but I don't remember it featuring much of a trough.

Jon

It was probably several days ago, all the runs kind of merge together in my head since I look at all of them, but I do remember there being an eastern trough and I was on the western edge which is never good, with the west heating up again. (at least on the 850 MB map) due to the persistent low in the GOA.

This run did not have that look because it appears the ridging off the W coast is farther N. and there's no low in the GOA. That results in zonal flow in that area dipping down to a zonal looking trough over much of the US (not sharp). It'll change in 12 hours anyway, but it looks better, lol

This is like needing sex. I am afraid many more people will follow the 168-240hr 18z GFS because of this starvation than usual. Luckily, I will not be one of them. We needed a 1977 type beginning to calm the nerves. Confidence is at a all time low. Nobody believes anymore always expecting the worst.

sure you wont.

Substitute fantasy GFS maps and depicted snow with Mary.

Archived