joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Antarctic Sea Ice Extent

Snow_Miser

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this should happen really soon, I'll be watching to see how this one plays out.

:axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/the-era-of-climate-fatalism-is-over-9818423.html

The race to stabilise the Earth’s climate was always going to be long, slow one.So slow and so difficult that there will always be a temptation to think that it is all too complicated, that immediate problems are more pressing or that China, the United States and multinational corporations will never agree to the radical changes needed. Perhaps we should just give up and resign ourselves to trying to adapt as best we can to climate change once it starts to get serious.That is the sort of fatalism that lies behind the backlash against the environmental ambitions set out by the Government in its early days. David Cameron seemed sincere in his determination to lead a greener Conservative Party when he became Prime Minister but he has been on the defensive since. From the “greenest government ever” to George Osborne’s “slowest ship in the convoy” moment – his promise that Britain would cut carbon emissions “no slower but also no faster” than other EU countries – the Conservatives now seem to be in headlong retreat.

One of West Antarctica's largest glaciers surged a staggering 325 feet (about 100 meters) in less than two weeks this month, the European Space Agency reports.

Two radar images from the ESA's Sentinel-1A satellite on March 3 and March 15 reveal parts of the enormous Pine Island Glacier and its floating ice shelf making a swift trek toward the sea. The wild race to sea is typical for Pine Island Glacier, which flows up to 13,120 feet (4,000 m) every year.

Is this legit?  :yikes: Looks like April Fools...what a way to be.

http://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com/2015/04/breaking-news-west-antarctic-ice-sheet.html

A new report released today by Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change  (IPCC) discloses satellite data showing a huge rift in the West Antarctic ice sheet, indicating that the whole mass of ice has started moving toward the sea.Recent reports had already indicated that the deglaciation process was taking place faster than previously expected, but the new data indicate an unexpectedly rapid collapse. According to IPCC, at the measured speeds, the total collapse of the Western Ice Sheet will take place in less than a decade.

The collapse of the Western Ice Sheet is expected to cause a sea level rise of 4.8 m (16 ft). If the same phenomenon will affect all the Antarctic glaciers - as it appears to be the case from other data in the IPCC report - the final result will be to raise the sea level of 61 meters (200 feet). The report does not detail the possible effects on coastal cities and on populated areas at elevations lower than the expected sea rise. 

• 3 months later...

Then why all the fuss about the expansion? It's not a one way street. The PV is contracting again around Antarctica because the Southern Hemisphere warming is outpacing it.

I guess the glaciers quit melting...since that's what was causing the expansion.

Anyway, it's the long-term trend that really matters. Or at least I think I remember reading the importance on long-term trends being what really matters a time or two....lol.

I guess the glaciers quit melting...since that's what was causing the expansion.

Anyway, it's the long-term trend that really matters. Or at least I think I remember reading the importance on long-term trends being what really matters a time or two....lol.

In part, but mostly it was wind driven. We could of had a little negative feedback going but alas we just continue to pump out Co2 at 2ppm every year.

In part, but mostly it was wind driven. We could of had a little negative feedback going but alas we just continue to pump out Co2 at 2ppm every year.

I was thinking I read a paper that stated pretty much all the expansion was wind driven. I think the glacier melt causing it was PR bologna...although in theory it would make sense but if that were the case it would be localized.

You do realize how fluid the Antactic Sea Ice is...right? It can fall fast & surge fast.

This isn't true.  The southern hemisphere has a very small standard deviation of ice extent for a reason.  The ice does not really vary much.  That's why using standard deviation graphs comparing the northern and southern hemisphere ice is kind of misleading.  A northern hemispheric sigma in absolute terms is a lot more than a southern hemispheric counterpart.

This isn't true. The southern hemisphere has a very small standard deviation of ice extent for a reason. The ice does not really vary much. That's why using standard deviation graphs comparing the northern and southern hemisphere ice is kind of misleading. A northern hemispheric sigma in absolute terms is a lot more than a southern hemispheric counterpart.

Either way you want to slice it sir...ORH hit the nail on the head. What Avit implied with his post that I responded to was really means zip

This isn't true. The southern hemisphere has a very small standard deviation of ice extent for a reason. The ice does not really vary much. That's why using standard deviation graphs comparing the northern and southern hemisphere ice is kind of misleading. A northern hemispheric sigma in absolute terms is a lot more than a southern hemispheric counterpart.

I disagree with this. There's twice as much sea ice down there, but there's very little in the way of MYI because it's all at a much lower latitude. Therefore, any long term change in Antarctic sea ice indicates a significant change in the boundary condition(s) down there.

There has indeed been a statistically significant change in ice in the Antarctic domain:

seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png

Last year on this thread we discussed the role of Antarctic ice shelf and ice sheet melt in contributing to Antarctic sea ice expansion as cold fresh water accumulates at the ocean surface. According to Hanson's latest paper expanding Antarctic sea ice is exactly what you would expect with ice sheet decay. This is a positive feedback for sea level rise because waters at depth which are melting the Antarctic ice shelves warm further as the oceans near Antarctica stabilize.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/07/27/climate-change-skeptics-may-be-about-to-lose-one-of-their-favorite-arguments/?postshare=1821438025395214

I disagree with this. There's twice as much sea ice down there, but there's very little in the way of MYI because it's all at a much lower latitude. Therefore, any long term change in Antarctic sea ice indicates a significant change in the boundary condition(s) down there.

There has indeed been a statistically significant change in ice in the Antarctic domain:

seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png

What exactly are you disagreeing with?  That the standard deviation is smaller than the northern hemisphere in terms of actual extent?  What you said does not disagree with what I claimed...

What exactly are you disagreeing with? That the standard deviation is smaller than the northern hemisphere in terms of actual extent? What you said does not disagree with what I claimed...

When you say "standard deviation", are you speaking in terms of absolute extent/coverage? In that case, I disagree with the idea that these fluctuations are "smaller" than those in the Arctic.

Last year on this thread we discussed the role of Antarctic ice shelf and ice sheet melt in contributing to Antarctic sea ice expansion as cold fresh water accumulates at the ocean surface. According to Hanson's latest paper expanding Antarctic sea ice is exactly what you would expect with ice sheet decay. This is a positive feedback for sea level rise because waters at depth which are melting the Antarctic ice shelves warm further as the oceans near Antarctica stabilize.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2015/07/27/climate-change-skeptics-may-be-about-to-lose-one-of-their-favorite-arguments/?postshare=1821438025395214

Rye et al. (2014)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure what to say about this, wow. I would rank this as a signal for abrupt climate change.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/antarctic.sea.ice.interactive.html

Are you serious...lol? So it breaks record after record & it's human caused Climate Change...it has one year where it actially goes below normal (which is normal) for the 1st time in 6 years a one year & it's also human caused Climate Change...lol.

Are you serious...lol? So it breaks record after record & it's human caused Climate Change...it has one year where it actially goes below normal (which is normal) for the 1st time in 6 years a one year & it's also human caused Climate Change...lol. Looks like you've created a win/win argument.

How about weather variability? Everything under the sun that occurs is not a carbon footprint.

Disagree for now. The OHC signal and global temperature trends say ENSO > AGW > Natural.

Everything has fundamentally changed due to the growing radiative forcing and migration of key weather gradients. Eventually there will only be two seasons for most locations.

Archived