• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Find your exact elevation here

ineedsnow

Looks like the house at the top of the street (not sure if it's Thatcher or Snow Drift Lane) is at elevation 2300'.

That's pretty high, but there have got to be other roads higher. I'm guessing maybe some road off of gap/pass.

Farther south, but there appear to be some condos up on Okemo (Trailside Path/Extension) in the 2330' range.

Top of Glissade Drive at Killington is around 2400'

Houses at the top of Roxbury gap road are around 2390' (east of Sugarbush)

A few more:

Peru, MA highest town center I could find in all of NE @2000' the highest house I found was in Florida, MA at 2512, but there is a lodge at the top of Mt. Greylock, but I don't think you can "live" there: http://bascomlodge.net/

Clinton Bond Trail, Dover, VT 2600', West Ridge Road, Stratton also at 2600.

i was up at stratton circa october 10 (give or take a few days) in 2010. i was there back to back days actually for an elevation snow event. the first day there was snow from about 1500' up and it wasn't sticking in stratton village...had to get to around 2200' or so, was pretty heavy snow showers and deteriorating road conditiions above 2300 in the slope side condo's i was driving thru, then the next day i drag'd my gf back there and we chugg'd some wine and i hiked up the mtn. (she didn't want to partake so i met her later at the bar lol) BUT there was really nada on the ground around 1800' and as i got above 2300 or so amounts rose dramatically, i got to about 3200 or so and there was about 10 inches and it was just a pure winter wonderland, there are alot of towns around that area that are inhabited and near 2k. or so between stratton and down s toward jamaica and that area.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Friday and Friday Night was like a garden hose. It rained so hard.

boo hoo try being in raynham,ma for the event about 2 inches of crap snow.

i remember opening the back deck door around 10-11pm and the big trees along the property line were swaying and the wind was ....especially powerful just really roaring like i can't recall in other storms.

i wonder how they did like 10 miles to my nw at like 450' in wrenthem, ma ........we were just bent over and f'd in that storm in SE mass. be glad for the 6 or whatever you had in brockton, i didn't get shiaaat

but i know it's perspective and honestly even the april 97 snow storm piss'd me off a bit....we had to wait extra long for the change over in raynham, ma . we finished with a solid 2 feet which was awesome but so much was piss'd away those few hours in the late afternoon when it was snowing about 5 miles away.

chris if your ever bored and in for a snow fix i would suggest, in late september thru mid october a trip to the white's ....especially the hiking trails right near wildcat, nh. there is a really nice upslope component on mt. washington and the ridge line in it's vicinity. i hiked a couple times last year and there was sun and clouds in n. conway and near 55-60. and then at 4000 feet and higher there was accumulating orographic snow on this cool trail (something rock trail) lol . its a great work out to start hiking there (1700' or so at base and watch the temps fall and climb toward the snow cloud above) 4000' was the magick number when i hiked , it was a NW flow event for the higher whites, and the funny thing is the only station that reports the precip from those events is mt washington (how much of mt. washington's snow is upslope i wonder) i would suggest at least 20%. i mean there is a reason they record 330 or so inches a year! and other mtns in nh get maybe half that. wildcat literally a couple miles away get 200' annually which is the highest for a nH mountain and you can bet that mt. washington cleans up in upslope events and the best upslope occurs in regions there that nobody really reports or hears about. just on the hiking trails

chris if your ever bored and in for a snow fix i would suggest, in late september thru mid october a trip to the white's ....especially the hiking trails right near wildcat, nh. there is a really nice upslope component on mt. washington and the ridge line in it's vicinity. i hiked a couple times last year and there was sun and clouds in n. conway and near 55-60. and then at 4000 feet and higher there was accumulating orographic snow on this cool trail (something rock trail) lol . its a great work out to start hiking there (1700' or so at base and watch the temps fall and climb toward the snow cloud above) 4000' was the magick number when i hiked , it was a NW flow event for the higher whites, and the funny thing is the only station that reports the precip from those events is mt washington (how much of mt. washington's snow is upslope i wonder) i would suggest at least 20%

I had surgery in August, I can't do anything cool until October at least. It'll be too dangerous by late Oct into November.

well it could be dangerous but i'm not suggesting hiking washington, i often would hike that trail and stop at around 4600-5k and go back down, the climb is ez enuf that most chicks can do it, and is really protected from the wind, so it's not really that dangerous IMO. i wouldn't do it when down in conway its below 45 degrees. but ya you maybe a bit too late

well it could be dangerous but i'm not suggesting hiking washington, i often would hike that trail and stop at around 4600-5k and go back down, the climb is ez enuf that most chicks can do it, and is really protected from the wind, so it's not really that dangerous IMO. i wouldn't do it when down in conway its below 45 degrees. but ya you maybe a bit too late

Every time I've hiked or skied Mt Washington I've gotten so lucky with completely clear skies and great temps/low wind. I've done 8 days up there and never had a cloud in the sky on any of those days lol. I don't want my luck to run out in early November and have a sudden squall bring -10 windchills, 70 mph winds and 50 foot vis lol

On October 1st, 2006 we hiked the Crawford Path from the Mitzpah springs hostel to Mt. Washington. The forecast called for temps rising into the low 40's, but instead we got caught in blizzard conditions on the summit cone and the winds were gusting hurricane force. The funny part was when we finally made it to the summit lodge we were reprimanded by the Forest Ranger and forced to take the auto road down. I guess they had rescued a group by helicopter the week before. Thinking about it now, I can understand how people die. If it weren't for a Heafty garbage bag my buddy would have probably frozen to death b/c that wind at that speed shreds loose clothing

On October 1st, 2006 we hiked the Crawford Path from the Mitzpah springs hostel to Mt. Washington. The forecast called for temps rising into the low 40's, but instead we got caught in blizzard conditions on the summit cone and the winds were gusting hurricane force. The funny part was when we finally made it to the summit lodge we were reprimanded by the Forest Ranger and forced to take the auto road down. I guess they had rescued a group by helicopter the week before. Thinking about it now, I can understand how people die. If it weren't for a Heafty garbage bag my buddy would have probably frozen to death b/c that wind at that speed shreds loose clothing

That's insane.

boo hoo try being in raynham,ma for the event about 2 inches of crap snow.

i remember opening the back deck door around 10-11pm and the big trees along the property line were swaying and the wind was ....especially powerful just really roaring like i can't recall in other storms.

i wonder how they did like 10 miles to my nw at like 450' in wrenthem, ma ........we were just bent over and f'd in that storm in SE mass. be glad for the 6 or whatever you had in brockton, i didn't get shiaaat

but i know it's perspective and honestly even the april 97 snow storm piss'd me off a bit....we had to wait extra long for the change over in raynham, ma . we finished with a solid 2 feet which was awesome but so much was piss'd away those few hours in the late afternoon when it was snowing about 5 miles away.

2" vs 5-6" in a storm that gave 18" like 8 miles away... does it matter?

Since we're talking about elevations and the highest you can get in certain areas, I believe there are several houses around Riga Lake in extreme NW CT that are above 1800'. I know the Mt Washington Rd goes above 2000' before it heads into MA. I don't believe that portion of the road is plowed in winter (I could be wrong) but I don't know about the ones at Riga Lake. I suspect that would beat Norfolk for snow being 2-400' higher and a little more west.

Another place close to SNE well over 2,000' would have to be the southern green mts plateau around Rte 9/8. I know there are several places that the roads goes over 2,400' and you can find numerous houses up there.

I really don't know of anywhere that folks are above 2500ft. Even ski resort condos. Stowe's highest homes are only around 1800ft or so near Mansfield, and around 2000ft on the east side of town on the Worecester Range.

I would have guessed that there were some condos somewhere above 2000' at Stowe but apparently not. I worked at Sugarloaf in Maine for a few years back in the 90s and there are a few places up off of West Mountain Rd. that are right at 2200'.

And yep, Coles Pond is right at 2200' itself.

Taking a quick look at the satellite imagery and the topo maps, there seem to be a few places at Sugarbush that are over 2k and quite a few at Killington that go up to 2200'.

I have an old book about Vermont that gives a town by town description and I remember coming across a passage in it somewhere (been years since I picked it up) that back in the day, the highest farming in the state was in Walden (Coles Pond) and was up around 2k.

chris if your ever bored and in for a snow fix i would suggest, in late september thru mid october a trip to the white's ....especially the hiking trails right near wildcat, nh. there is a really nice upslope component on mt. washington and the ridge line in it's vicinity. i hiked a couple times last year and there was sun and clouds in n. conway and near 55-60. and then at 4000 feet and higher there was accumulating orographic snow on this cool trail (something rock trail) lol . its a great work out to start hiking there (1700' or so at base and watch the temps fall and climb toward the snow cloud above) 4000' was the magick number when i hiked , it was a NW flow event for the higher whites, and the funny thing is the only station that reports the precip from those events is mt washington (how much of mt. washington's snow is upslope i wonder) i would suggest at least 20%. i mean there is a reason they record 330 or so inches a year! and other mtns in nh get maybe half that. wildcat literally a couple miles away get 200' annually which is the highest for a nH mountain and you can bet that mt. washington cleans up in upslope events and the best upslope occurs in regions there that nobody really reports or hears about. just on the hiking trails

MWN is about 2300 feet higher than the top of the Wildcat ski area. That is also very significant...lots of days are rain on Wildcat and snow on the summit. Wildcat is my favorite ski area but it can be an awful cold place.

Didn't realize the red spruce wasn't considered a boreal species. How about balsam firs? We're kind of near the southern edge of their natural range (along with the red and black spruce). It seems like a lot of the evergreen species (save for white pine and hemlock, which are found pretty much everywhere) are mostly about 1600'-1700' and up.

I don't remember seeing much white oak in Maine above the Portland area, so I'm a bit surprised they go all the way up to Waterville. Then again, it's been a while since I've been up that way. White oak is probably my favorite tree. Not sure why, it just is. As such, I like to walk in the woods around here and look for them since they're somewhat elusive. The best time to look for them is in the winter since they retain some of their leaves on lower branches, making them easier to spot from a distance. There's a bunch of them on a SW facing slope in the southern part of Lenox. I have yet to spot them anywhere else north or east of there in the Berkshires. There are more in the SW part of the county (along with blacks and scarlets). Whites are very abundant throughout the rest of SNE and are the state tree of CT.

There are some burr oaks in the swampy areas of the southern Berkshires as well. These trees can get very large.

Tree species can be kind of funny in the eastern U.S. due to clear cutting as late as 120 years ago. It's hard to imagine today but 80-90% of New England was cleared for farming. I'll exclude Maine because I don't know how far up it went there but yes, that includes large portions of MA, VT & NH. By the 1920s and 30s in CT when many state forests were being created the focus was on timber harvests so emphasis was placed on high value timber such as oak. Other species were thined out so the focus would be on hard wood.

There are pockets of natural fir trees in many places above 800' here in NE CT and there is a majority of common evergreens such as pine, hemlock, eastern white cedar and fir trees as you drive through Union. Especially in the higher portions of the northern half of the state, don't let the predominant oak forests make you think that's how it's always looked. If you drive around the back roads enough, you'll see more than just oaks. It's the state tree because of the Charter Oak, not because of its predominance.

MWN is about 2300 feet higher than the top of the Wildcat ski area. That is also very significant...lots of days are rain on Wildcat and snow on the summit. Wildcat is my favorite ski area but it can be an awful cold place.

wait mwn averages 330" of snow a year? So jay averages more?

I actually just found that mwn is 260" and jay is 350"...WOAH

wait mwn averages 330" of snow a year? So jay averages more?

I actually just found that mwn is 260" and jay is 350"...WOAH

It could be; Jay catches some crazy upslope.

Snow measurement on MWN is a crapshoot. Most of it blows quickly off the summit and ends up miles away. The deepest snowcover you are likely to see reported at the summit is around 2 feet, and that is likely to be just as much rime as snow. Go downhill a few thousand feet in the trees and late winter snow cover is usually several feet, sometimes more.

I would have guessed that there were some condos somewhere above 2000' at Stowe but apparently not. I worked at Sugarloaf in Maine for a few years back in the 90s and there are a few places up off of West Mountain Rd. that are right at 2200'.

And yep, Coles Pond is right at 2200' itself.

Taking a quick look at the satellite imagery and the topo maps, there seem to be a few places at Sugarbush that are over 2k and quite a few at Killington that go up to 2200'.

I have an old book about Vermont that gives a town by town description and I remember coming across a passage in it somewhere (been years since I picked it up) that back in the day, the highest farming in the state was in Walden (Coles Pond) and was up around 2k.

There are definitely more spots to live up above 2,000ft in southern VT than in northern VT. The southern Greens are more rolling (relatively) but at a higher elevation... up here its more sharp with ridgelines of 3000-4000ft+ and valleys down under 1,000ft. My college roommate grew up in Wilmington, VT and we used to go down there to do painting jobs in the summer, and he lived at like 1,800ft (but that was normal for that area). The peaks are over 3,000ft but the vertical difference between base/summit isn't like the 2,000-3,500ft pure relief that is up here. The Adirondacks and Whites are even more impressive in terms of vertical relief.

Speaking of which, the Adirondacks have a lot of places that are above 2,000ft. The entire Adirondack park is essentially over 1,500ft. Friends have a house in Indian Lake, NY at like 2,300ft and that doesn't even seem that high when you are there because the average elevation over there is just so high... that's also why the 'Dacks get so freakin' cold. When the valley is at 2,000ft and the peaks are over 4,000ft... you're going to live in a very cold climate. I still remember -35F mornings there in a hollow at 2,300ft.

Either way, living over 2,000ft this far north is a pretty brutal climate. I gotta think heating bills would be quite high, seeing as you're going to be running 5F lower than someone even at 1,000ft. Once you're into that 2,000-2,500ft range (like my friends on Thatcher Road in Bolton), you're snow season is from like late-October through April. When I was at UVM I remember going up there to a buddy's house on October 4th and finding like 8" of snow. It also snowed up there May 31st back in like 2009 I think it was.

Don't know. The reference that I have does not give exact locations. Probably just as well or some of the rarer trees might attract "collectors".

Noyac and most of that area burned early last century. I wonder where the "pocket" may have been. I know of a couple on kettle holes on the moraine and some areas around trout pond did not burn that have some nice tree collections..

It could be; Jay catches some crazy upslope.

Snow measurement on MWN is a crapshoot. Most of it blows quickly off the summit and ends up miles away. The deepest snowcover you are likely to see reported at the summit is around 2 feet, and that is likely to be just as much rime as snow. Go downhill a few thousand feet in the trees and late winter snow cover is usually several feet, sometimes more.

I went up in April once and the snow was well above my head off the side of the trail

There are definitely more spots to live up above 2,000ft in southern VT than in northern VT. The southern Greens are more rolling (relatively) but at a higher elevation... up here its more sharp with ridgelines of 3000-4000ft+ and valleys down under 1,000ft. My college roommate grew up in Wilmington, VT and we used to go down there to do painting jobs in the summer, and he lived at like 1,800ft (but that was normal for that area). The peaks are over 3,000ft but the vertical difference between base/summit isn't like the 2,000-3,500ft pure relief that is up here. The Adirondacks and Whites are even more impressive in terms of vertical relief.

Speaking of which, the Adirondacks have a lot of places that are above 2,000ft. The entire Adirondack park is essentially over 1,500ft. Friends have a house in Indian Lake, NY at like 2,300ft and that doesn't even seem that high when you are there because the average elevation over there is just so high... that's also why the 'Dacks get so freakin' cold. When the valley is at 2,000ft and the peaks are over 4,000ft... you're going to live in a very cold climate. I still remember -35F mornings there in a hollow at 2,300ft.

Either way, living over 2,000ft this far north is a pretty brutal climate. I gotta think heating bills would be quite high, seeing as you're going to be running 5F lower than someone even at 1,000ft. Once you're into that 2,000-2,500ft range (like my friends on Thatcher Road in Bolton), you're snow season is from like late-October through April. When I was at UVM I remember going up there to a buddy's house on October 4th and finding like 8" of snow. It also snowed up there May 31st back in like 2009 I think it was.

That whole S VT plateau around Wilmington does pretty well in the snow department. As you said, elevations range from about 1500' to 3000' and there are many residential areas between 2K and about 2.4K. I would think 2K in S VT is similar overall to 1K in N VT. My dream area to live is probably somewhere around Woodford, Searsburg, Wilmington, or Dover at or around 2K. The highest spots are near the western end of the plateau around Woodford, which is the ultimate weenie spot since they can get some big upslope in there. The eastern end of the plateau around Wilimington and Marlboro will sometimes do better in easterly flow setups. I think Wilmington had some epic snow totals on the second day of the 2/25-26/10 event. The great thing about this area is you can still cash in on SNE coastals and get some good upslope.

When I was younger, I was convinced I'd live in some obscene weenie spot at 2,000 feet in NNE or upstate NY or even out in the west like near Lake Tahoo at 7k feet.

But its tough living in those spots...not just for finding actual sources of income to raise a family, but also just tough living in general for modern conviniences...and yeah, those heating bills can be epic, though a woodstove goes a long way.

I think buying a vacation shack up in a weenie spot is probably more realistic for me personally than actually living there year-round.

That whole S VT plateau around Wilmington does pretty well in the snow department. As you said, elevations range from about 1500' to 3000' and there are many residential areas between 2K and about 2.4K. I would think 2K in S VT is similar overall to 1K in N VT. My dream area to live is probably somewhere around Woodford, Searsburg, Wilmington, or Dover at or around 2K. The highest spots are near the western end of the plateau around Woodford, which is the ultimate weenie spot since they can get some big upslope in there. The eastern end of the plateau around Wilimington and Marlboro will sometimes do better in easterly flow setups. I think Wilmington had some epic snow totals on the second day of the 2/25-26/10 event. The great thing about this area is you can still cash in on SNE coastals and get some good upslope.

Yeah the area around Mount Snow is great for snow. Close to things, lots of synoptic snow (not pure upslope fluff bombs), and a number of elevated areas to live.

When I was younger, I was convinced I'd live in some obscene weenie spot at 2,000 feet in NNE or upstate NY or even out in the west like near Lake Tahoo at 7k feet.

But its tough living in those spots...not just for finding actual sources of income to raise a family, but also just tough living in general for modern conviniences...and yeah, those heating bills can be epic, though a woodstove goes a long way.

I think buying a vacation shack up in a weenie spot is probably more realistic for me personally than actually living there year-round.

That's my hope one day. It's funny how some of the old NNE homes were once places where people from East Coast cities went to enjoy the "cooler mountain air" as it's described. There is a place on the Ossipees called Castle in the Clouds which was toted as just that. It's about 1400' ASL.

Archived