joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Saturday, Sept 8, 2012 Severe Event

Kmlwx

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.69 so far, some light rains on and off now, some clearing patches in the sky as well out here. Current temp 63*. Loving it :wub:

Drove from Arbutus, Md back to home here thru the storms. Got a few pics on the way too. sometimes visibility was down to .25 mile with the rains on 95 near Jessup, MD.

Leaving Arbutus, MD

Junction 95 and 895 south in MD, Rain starting to pick up at this time

Horrendous visibility on 95 south near Jessup, MD

Rains lightened up a bit and traffic was horrendous here at the 270-495 junction near Potomac, MD

Windy here prior to the storm, lots of small foliage and debris down in the travel lanes and shoulder of the beltway, this is near the American Legion Br in MD

Just over the American Legion Bridge in VA, Large tree down blocking lanes to exit at Rt 193 Georgetown Pike

Got to Dulles Airport area and skies were lightening up and slow clearing with some spotty showers. Winds took part of the banner off the overpass on the Dulles Greenway. Also there was a large sign stretching in the median before the toll plaza going west, it was about 18 feet long and it was snapped and on the ground from the wind.

looks like that plane took off just in time, wow. I wonder if the flight crew had to argue with ATC to take off and the winds were pretty rough at the time probably. Great photo Ian

It was already up. It came in like it was going to land but then it buzzed over the Lincoln. Not sure if they landed or were getting away from the storm. They don't usually come quite that close so I'm guessing they were going into a holding patten.

It was already up. It came in like it was going to land but then it buzzed over the Lincoln. Not sure if they landed or were getting away from the storm. They don't usually come quite that close so I'm guessing they were going into a holding patten.

Holding pattern or perhaps being diverted. My friend who works at the Leesburg AATC says she had to divert a lot of planes when all 3 airports went into a ground stop.

From Annapolis, MD facebook. Multiple people reported the funnel cloud near Sandy Point along with Wind damage near teh park and multiple tree's down. This was taken from Podickory Pt just N of Sandy pt looking SE. Looks like a water spout trying to form.

gustnado over water? looks that way a bit.

im kinda irked the Post is reporting there was a tornado yesterday when the NWS says there is no evidence.

I saw that, but there was part of a warning from NWS stating that a tornado was on the ground confirmed by county officials that I posted in here. Also, another warning stated that the storm had produced tornados previously... so it is a bit confusing

Just for the record.

5d2qg2.png

Looking forward to some WeatherWarrior shots/videos

Glad someone got the screen grab...I was driving and couldn't get it. Overall, didn't get much. Too sloppy wet. I should have stuck with the slightly more northern bit (the cell that got warned in s.MoCo/PGco). It had a nice visual as I worked my way down i270.

From twitter:

Mark Brady @PGFDPIO

Show Place Arena Upper Marlboro (County Fair) numerous injured people. NFD

Saw this RT'd by someone and thought "now see, they should have used my design". In an odd twist, I did actually have a project at my old arch. firm that was redesigning the area around one of the venues at the Arena. I actually address foot traffic since storms are part of what I do too. Of course I don't know if they these were at the area I proposed my changes or the BIG arena there (not part of our project at the time). In the end, I don't think the project went forward either. I had left the firm though shortly after.

OK, video (piss poor):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4PW5iT--Tk

(sorry it is only YouTube....with the sucky compression...didn't have any space on Vimeo)

I was assuming the tornado was right ahead as I saw veered winds (left-to-right then right-to-left).

Only photo (well, photos...for a panoramic...but it too sucks).

post-86-0-67520500-1347308737_thumb.jpg

Archived