joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Banter and non-weather Discussions

buckeyefan1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been seeing the cow killers left and right. I have killed at least 9. And I got fire ants out the ying yang. And yellow jackets too. I swear Gods out to kill me.

But those cow killers man it takes a lot to kill em. I found a brick to be the best method.

I have two types of big honking acorns falling, and several pods of caterpillars in the blue berry bushes. I mean thick tangles of 20 or more in each pod. My tomato plants are over 8 feet tall now. To high to get the top tomatos without a ladder. I'm pretty sure all this means 20 freezes, 20 hard freezes, two deep snows with 8 foot drifts, and winter's coming! T

I just saw my first "Cow Killer Ant" AKA "Cow Killer Wasp". What are the implications for the next rainfall over a trace IMBY, our next SE tropical system, and our first frost? :D

No cow killers here, but I just witnessed my first cicada killer. I had no idea what the thing was until looking it up on the internet. It had burrowed into the soil next to my drive and emptied quite a bit of soil out of its burrow. It was about 2 inches long and hovered over the entrance but did not attack me. Apparently, they are virtually harmless creatures (to humans, not cicadas), but they are incredibly intimidating. Fascinating...

A sample burrow:

ck-burrow.jpg

A cicada killer wasp:

CicadaKiller-Bowles_Pomerin.jpg

Yay!! :D

My capacitor went out during our streak of 100+ deg days <_<

Yuck. I don't know how people used to live without AC. It feels awful. I used to not have it, but I was trying to think back to that time. How did I live without it? I don't know, exactly. I guess you just get used to it. But it's hard to sleep when it's about 90 in the house with no fans.

Anyway, we have a heat pump that's about 20 years old. It breaks down at least once per year. I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy a new one someday.

Yuck. I don't know how people used to live without AC. It feels awful. I used to not have it, but I was trying to think back to that time. How did I live without it? I don't know, exactly. I guess you just get used to it. But it's hard to sleep when it's about 90 in the house with no fans.

Anyway, we have a heat pump that's about 20 years old. It breaks down at least once per year. I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy a new one someday.

I also had a capacitor die back in June...I was lucky to find a local guy to come out the same day to replace it. My mother grew up in south Georgia and the SC lowcountry with no A/C in either place - yikes!

I also had a capacitor die back in June...I was lucky to find a local guy to come out the same day to replace it. My mother grew up in south Georgia and the SC lowcountry with no A/C in either place - yikes!

Yikes indeed! Talk about hot and humid.... I need to learn how to replace a capacitor. It only took the guy 30 min to identify and fix it. Can't be that hard. :)

Nice! Next time the AC goes out, I'm PMing you. :).

1. Switch off condenser(in the box unit outside) turn off thermostat

2. open access panel

3. locate capacitor(looks like a small can) write down the data located on the capacitor (voltage,capacitance,tolerance,etc)

4. purchase new capacitor with same performance properties

5. disconnect wires one at a time and connect them to new capacitor in their respective places (there should be a connection diagram on the inside of the access panel)

6. turn on condenser/thermostat

No...I'm not a heat and air tech....but I did sleep at a holiday inn once :lol:

1. Switch off condenser(in the box unit outside) turn off thermostat

2. open access panel

3. locate capacitor(looks like a small can) write down the data located on the capacitor (voltage,capacitance,tolerance,etc)

4. purchase new capacitor with same performance properties

5. disconnect wires one at a time and connect them to new capacitor in their respective places (there should be a connection diagram on the inside of the access panel)

6. turn on condenser/thermostat

No...I'm not a heat and air tech....but I did sleep at a holiday inn once :lol:

Haha! That's awesome! Thanks. I just have to keep reminding myself: "turn off breaker...turn off breaker...turn off...."

So one question: how do you know if it's the capacitor or something else?

Haha! That's awesome! Thanks. I just have to keep reminding myself: "turn off breaker...turn off breaker...turn off...."

So one question: how do you know if it's the capacitor or something else?

This describes it well....I just know what I've been shown or told by my Brother In Law and what I picked up from the time working at a heat and air business ;) Both times mine have gone out over the years it looked like it was going to explode :lol:

A motor capacitor can form part of the mechanism for a number of different electrical items, including an air conditioning unit. However, there are occasions when the component can fail, which will require you to know what signs to look for that this has occurred.

1 – Speed

In the event that you are suddenly unable to achieve a certain level of speed after switching on an air conditioner, you may find that the motor capacitor is at fault. The capacitor will often provide the appliance with a boost facility, which will fail if it is faulty.

2 – Failure

A motor capacitor may be required in the event that the air conditioner fails to work at all. The capacitor is the component through which power is drawn, accordingly, if the fans fail to rotate at all or only works intermittently, the capacitor may be to blame. If the motor stops working, the capacitor may be the cause.

3 – Noise

In view of the fact that a motor capacitor plays a role in making the motor run, you may find that a fault with it causes a change to the sound it makes. If the air conditioner rattles or sounds different than it previously did, the capacitor may be defective.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/3-ways-to-tell-if-you-need-a-new-motor-capacitor#ixzz25hGlwiiU

Yuck. I don't know how people used to live without AC. It feels awful. I useud to not have it, but I was trying to think back to that time. How did I live without it? I don't know, exactly. I guess you just get used to it. But it's hard to sleep when it's about 90 in the house with no fans.

My grandmother grew up in new orleans without ac. She made frequent trips to the grocery store and movie theater where ac was around.

Finally we are able to bring our son home. Very excited to have him home!

Congratulations man. I'm really glad to hear that. Me and the wife went on our hospital tour tonight. My anxiety level creeps up a notch everyday. With five weeks to go and hearing stories like yours I realize this baby could come any day. I hope your wife is doing well also. Good energy being sent your way.

Congratulations man. I'm really glad to hear that. Me and the wife went on our hospital tour tonight. My anxiety level creeps up a notch everyday. With five weeks to go and hearing stories like yours I realize this baby could come any day. I hope your wife is doing well also. Good energy being sent your way.

I remember those days.....all five times. Enjoy.

Archived