• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 28-July 8th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

It would be a waste of instability if nothing happens, but then again what's new considering all of June was pretty much warm and dry. Interesting how the NMM moves most of the convection north to south, not sure I buy that.

organization will be pretty sketchy and lake breezes complicate things but propogation vectors look awfully SE or SSE to me

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, looks good for both of us...latest NMM and ARW are very convectively active as well.

EDIT: CU field growing in central wisconsin as well as along the lakefront down into NE Illinois

EDIT x2: slight bump in pops for my point

looks good for both tonight and tomorrow night.

already plenty of instability across this area but not much shear for organization.

Heads up for Ontario readers, elements are in place for major severe storm outbreak across southern and central ON tomorrow (Tues 3rd) and this would apply to central, northern MI and upstate NY also. Could be a derecho type event. Will be posting more on this late evening or early morning, heading out for most of the day here.

Heads up for Ontario readers, elements are in place for major severe storm outbreak across southern and central ON tomorrow (Tues 3rd) and this would apply to central, northern MI and upstate NY also. Could be a derecho type event. Will be posting more on this late evening or early morning, heading out for most of the day here.

Geez, that'd be a kick to the Southern MI crew. Just missed the previous derecho event to the south, and this one might miss to the north.

Got bubbling Cu going up along a boundary from srn WI to NE IL. The environment is characterized by strong-extreme instability, with MLCAPE exceeding 4500J/kg, and explosive 0-3km CAPE exceeding 200J/kg. Sfc vort is very high along the boundary near the lake. Deep layer shear is extremely weak, but with high low-level CAPE and vorticity, the non-supercell tornado parameter is up to 4 in spots. The growing Cu field signals to me that initiation is likely to occur sometime within the next 2-3 hours, and I wouldn't be shocked to see a spinup with any cells that form, along with some severe hail and downbursts.

I have been checking out the models today. Where are you thinking the best areas are for severe wx.

Got bubbling Cu going up along a boundary from srn WI to NE IL. The environment is characterized by strong-extreme instability, with MLCAPE exceeding 4500J/kg, and explosive 0-3km CAPE exceeding 200J/kg. Sfc vort is very high along the boundary near the lake. Deep layer shear is extremely weak, but with high low-level CAPE and vorticity, the non-supercell tornado parameter is up to 4 in spots. The growing Cu field signals to me that initiation is likely to occur sometime within the next 2-3 hours, and I wouldn't be shocked to see a spinup with any cells that form, along with some severe hail and downbursts.

Would you favor initiation in C Wisconsin moving SE/SSE? That's what many of the short term models seem to indicate.

def looking better up there and the HRRR had central/southern IL and WI lightning up first then northern IL this evening. We'll see.

possible we'll see another boundary party on LOTs radar tonight if WI action fires a couple south to interact with the lake breeze

Was just looking over the NAM and am very surprised. It has some sort of MCS event in southern ontario tomorrow afternoon and evening. I wouldn't want to call it a derecho but its looking rather interesting. Decent amounts of CAPE with MUCAPE of 1000-2500j/kg. 0-500mb shear of ~40kts over SON and 500mb winds out of the WNW at around 40-50kts. Really has me thinking. What do you guys think?

possible we'll see another boundary party on LOTs radar tonight if WI action fires a couple south to interact with the lake breeze

That would be neat to watch happen again. My relatives in Highland IN had more damage from that in their back yard than they did from the incipient derecho.

18z NAM looks pretty darn sweet around here tomorrow aftrnoon.

Talk about perfection for me.

edit: 4km NAM Has us at 99*F around noon before the storms begin to pop.

edit 2: rebound back to 100*F after falling into the mid-90s as the initial storms blow up east of here early in the afternoon.

Development up by Appleton should move se and follow the shoreline rather sharply if it goes along the instability axis.

Because tonight's threat involves SE Wisconsin, it probably won't materialize, but I can't say I'm surprised. This time it is lack of shear, next time it will be dry soils, rinse and repeat. :whistle:

Watch the lake breeze in WI...cell looks like it might try to ride right down it

That would be sweet! Dewpoints are at 71° up this way.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREEN BAY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

OUTAGAMIE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST WISCONSIN...

* UNTIL 715 PM CDT

* AT 608 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE

HAIL. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 5

MILES NORTHEAST OF NEW LONDON TO 9 MILES EAST OF LAKE POYGAN...AND

MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

APPLETON...BLACK CREEK...MEDINA...HORTONVILLE...STEPHENSVILLE...

SHIOCTON...GREENVILLE AND BINGHAMTON.

Archived