• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June Banter and Non-weather Discussion

Isopycnic

She's been my best friend, makes me feel better when I'm down, and she is sooooo smart and sweet.

OMG lookout i am so sorry. any animal lover and pet owner has had to go through this and its about as painful as it can be. happened in 05 and 09 with my beagles. you are certainly in my thoughts. there isnt really much anyone can say at a time like this. i am in my 40s and was crying almost non stop when i lost mine - we all need to grieve.

hang in there man :(

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody else catch the transit of Venus in front of the sun yesterday? If you missed it, you're out of luck: it won't happen again until 2117!

Binoculars focused onto white paper served my purposes quite well for viewing the event. I could see a tiny black dot near the edge of the image when I trained the binoculars onto the sun and viewed the image displayed on the paper. Unfortunately, we had scattered clouds from 6 PM EDT onward, so I had to take my chances when I could. At least I saw it!

Anybody else catch the transit of Venus in front of the sun yesterday? If you missed it, you're out of luck: it won't happen again until 2117!

Binoculars focused onto white paper served my purposes quite well for viewing the event. I could see a tiny black dot near the edge of the image when I trained the binoculars onto the sun and viewed the image displayed on the paper. Unfortunately, we had scattered clouds from 6 PM EDT onward, so I had to take my chances when I could. At least I saw it!

I just looked directly at the sun. Seemed to workand I have had nooc cpv vpew.moq coyu/

I'm late responding to this due to a)not really being in the mood to talk about it afterwards for a few days for obvious reasons and b)being busy afterwards..but I want to personally say thank you to all those who replied. I held her while the shot was given and it was so painful to watch. I had one hand petting her on her head and one on her chest and felt her last breath and I'll never forget that. Needless to say, I cried like a baby. (especially after I got away from everyone and had time to myself). But it was certainly time because I knew she was suffering and couldn't stand the thought of that.

Even nearly a week later, I'm not over it. I go out on the porch and still expect to see her, or expect to hear her bark to want to be let on. I think about her all the time and almost every time I tear up like a child. I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit my feelings about her either...don't care how old I am...she was such a sweet, loving, and great dog, she deserves it.

At any rate, again thank you all for what you said. I'm sorry for responding so late but when i read the responses, it did mean something to me and I want to say I very much appreciate what you said.

Lookout, I'm soooooo sorry to hear about the passing of your dear friend/family member/pet. I'm a bit late about this news(sorry I've been otherwise occupied lately). If you are an animal lover, you have no reason to feel silly about shedding some tears. I'm sure most all of us have been there before a time or two, unfortunately for myself it has been five times. Hopefully you have some great pictures of him to remember the Good times and joy that he brought into your life.

Lookout, I'm soooooo sorry to hear about the passing of your dear friend/family member/pet. I'm a bit late about this news(sorry I've been otherwise occupied lately). If you are an animal lover, you have no reason to feel silly about shedding some tears. I'm sure most all of us have been there before a time or two, unfortunately for myself it has been five times. Hopefully you have some great pictures of him to remember the Good times and joy that he brought into your life.

Think nothing of it, I just appreciate the kind words and thank you for them...again they are much appreciated.

As for losing pets, I've been this way since I was a kid. I absolutely adore dogs, especially smart ones lol...and there was something special about her. I've seen her sit there and think about where to lay down. She would walk out the porch door, head in a certain direction and stop. Look around and then change her mind about where to lay down. I need no more proof dogs think than that.

I took a lot of pictures/videos of her, especially toward the end but I still can't bring myself to look at them for the most part without getting upset. The difference between how she looked last year, enjoying the big snows, and the last few weeks is heart breaking.

I've been extremely lucky about very well behaved and smart dogs since I was little. I also have gone through putting down 5 dogs since I was little and it kills me every time. There is just something about dogs that I truly believe puts them way ahead of other animals. They have been with us for thousands of years and I wonder if in the distant future dogs will talk because it seems every dog I've had has tried to, especially sable. It's only natural evolution anyway for a species like a dog, who is so close to their owner(s), they will eventually (maybe thousands of more years) be able to communicate in an understandable way...ie words.

On the other hand,it might just be me being crazy lol

I have some sad news. My lovely and beautiful dog of 11.5 years (well closer to 12 years), is dying of very aggressive cancer and I will have to put her to sleep monday at 1pm. I knew 3 years ago it would happen because her mother died of cancer.

She's been my best friend, makes me feel better when I'm down, and she is sooooo smart and sweet. She never chased after cats (I have 5), always friendly to whoever showed up (never barked), never chased squirrels (in fact my now deceased squirral would go right up to her and she could not care less....not many dogs would not chase one, much less let one be that close lol. Now one of my cats has been sleeping next to her for a few weeks on quite a few nights/days.

Another interseting aspect is my brothers dog, who we had to adopt because he left her behind, had been in fights with her for years (which she always won...which I found amazing since she doesn't have a mean bone in her body)...now sleeps next to her and even licks her.

I know there is a smell that they know isn't good but it makes me even more convinced animals know when another is dying and they feel "sorry" for them.

So this is going to be a tough weekend/monday for me. Sometimes I think it's silly for a man in his 30s to get this emotional over a dog but I can't help it. I've always loved them since I was a child and think they are much smarter (in general) than people give them credit for. Indeed, she always knew when I was depressed and in a bad mood...laying her head in my lap or literally hugging me (she would push real hard against me while standing up). In fact, I'm a big animal person anyway.

So this is going to be a tough weekend/monday for me. Not to sound like a p**** but it's hard to hold back the tears. Especially when I think she knows she is close to the end.

Wow Lookout I want to offer my thoughts and feelings, and empathize with you on you're losing your special friend. I've been there, like many others have said, and it doesn't matter to anyone how many times, only you can truly feel the pain of losing your very best friend. Some people have the ability to develop a unique, special bond with their dog or cat (or even other animal), and some people never get to experience that kind of love. I feel like it's one of life's greatest gifts to get to grow so close to your special furry friend that you feel that kind of pain when the end has come. Unfortunately, there's nothing to stop it. But philosophically, there's a lot to be said, and I'm sure you really truly loved that dog. And she loved you. It came across in shining colors. I lost a dog in Junior High and only recently when I moved here did I get another pet, a stray cat. He stole my heart quickly too. After a year, some driver hit him and he died, so the first thing I did was get another (adopted). Glad I did, and he's one smart cat let me tell you. I know there's dog-versus-cat folks out there, LOL, but in the end, they're both super smart, and it's up to the owner to really notice all the nuances, and subtle cues of how smart he or she really is. Bottom line is, they can grow to be your best friend, even closer than actual flesh and blood family. I'm sure you felt that, and nothing can be more painful than lose your best friend. All I can offer is take some comfort and solace in knowing just how much love that pet shed for you, and you shed on her, while you were together. Life is so short, both human and animal, and memories mean a lot. Rest in knowing you were an excellent care taker for that precious animal, and be grateful that you both met each other.

Rob.

Not crazy. Jinny talks to me all the time. She can sit, and look at me, and bark....and I'll know that she wants some food. And I can differentiate between that bark, and the "let me in the house" bark, or the "stop what you are wasting your time doing, and play" bark, or the "someone will be at the gate pretty soon" bark. I'm not sure if I'm reading her eyes, or the sound of the bark, or both, but I do think she'd like to teach me other translations of the bark, but she thinks I'm too slow :) She doesn't want to overload my less developed brain, lol. T

Think nothing of it, I just appreciate the kind words and thank you for them...again they are much appreciated.

As for losing pets, I've been this way since I was a kid. I absolutely adore dogs, especially smart ones lol...and there was something special about her. I've seen her sit there and think about where to lay down. She would walk out the porch door, head in a certain direction and stop. Look around and then change her mind about where to lay down. I need no more proof dogs think than that.

I took a lot of pictures/videos of her, especially toward the end but I still can't bring myself to look at them for the most part without getting upset. The difference between how she looked last year, enjoying the big snows, and the last few weeks is heart breaking.

I've been extremely lucky about very well behaved and smart dogs since I was little. I also have gone through putting down 5 dogs since I was little and it kills me every time. There is just something about dogs that I truly believe puts them way ahead of other animals. They have been with us for thousands of years and I wonder if in the distant future dogs will talk because it seems every dog I've had has tried to, especially sable. It's only natural evolution anyway for a species like a dog, who is so close to their owner(s), they will eventually (maybe thousands of more years) be able to communicate in an understandable way...ie words.

On the other hand,it might just be me being crazy lol

lookout, sorry to hear this. :(

Wow Lookout I want to offer my thoughts and feelings, and empathize with you on you're losing your special friend. I've been there, like many others have said, and it doesn't matter to anyone how many times, only you can truly feel the pain of losing your very best friend. Some people have the ability to develop a unique, special bond with their dog or cat (or even other animal), and some people never get to experience that kind of love. I feel like it's one of life's greatest gifts to get to grow so close to your special furry friend that you feel that kind of pain when the end has come. Unfortunately, there's nothing to stop it. But philosophically, there's a lot to be said, and I'm sure you really truly loved that dog. And she loved you. It came across in shining colors. I lost a dog in Junior High and only recently when I moved here did I get another pet, a stray cat. He stole my heart quickly too. After a year, some driver hit him and he died, so the first thing I did was get another (adopted). Glad I did, and he's one smart cat let me tell you. I know there's dog-versus-cat folks out there, LOL, but in the end, they're both super smart, and it's up to the owner to really notice all the nuances, and subtle cues of how smart he or she really is. Bottom line is, they can grow to be your best friend, even closer than actual flesh and blood family. I'm sure you felt that, and nothing can be more painful than lose your best friend. All I can offer is take some comfort and solace in knowing just how much love that pet shed for you, and you shed on her, while you were together. Life is so short, both human and animal, and memories mean a lot. Rest in knowing you were an excellent care taker for that precious animal, and be grateful that you both met each other.

Rob.

Great post. I can assure you, I'll never forget her....and I sincerely thank you for this post.

She did love me very much I know, she always meet me when I showed up, barked (happy bark) like crazy, and stuff like that. When I went to the woods, it gave me so much happiness to see her run around. I spoiled her so much, maybe too much lol, but she deserved it. In her final days, she only wanted to lay in my lap.

And you are right it's an honor and a privilege to get so close to a dog or any animal like that. Unlike some people, I truly believe dogs have an afterlife, (hopefully cats too)..dogs are too intelligent, too loyal, too smart (in general), too loving, etc not to. If there is an after life for people, which share the same qualities, I surely hope they are rewarded. Plus, and laugh if you want, people have reported "ghost dogs", "barks", etc in empty and closed buildings. I think this is a sign they do but of course such things are highly debatable. But as I said, It would be a true miscarriage of justice if such a sweet, smart, and loving dogs like her didn't get rewarded after they die. I pray they do.

Sorry to hear about your losses. But to me the best thing to do is adopt another dog or cat/kitten. There are so many that are locked up in cages right now, many waiting to be put to sleep, wishing they had a true home, and are just as smart, loyal, and loving as any of them. (those commercials with that singer, who I can't remember her name, gets me every time) So that's what I plan to do, adopt one or two puppies..which I can train somewhat, and get close to. I feel sorry for the older dogs, and god bless those who adopt them, but I want one (or two) that is young enough that they form a bond with you that lasts until they die. I plan on getting a lab, or some sort of mix of a lab...or at the very least a short haired dog. But it certainly won't be one of those little ones that like to bark all the time lol. It will probably be a few weeks but it's a good feeling knowing you saved a loving dog (or cat), that was miserable in their cages and were on death row.

As I said, I've been through this a number of times but I urge everyone, regardless of how close you were to your former dog, or cat, to adopt another that is on a one way ticket to being put to sleep..even though they are smart, loving, and loyal dogs/cats. (unless they are at a no kill shelter). These animals deserve a home and you will find yourself quickly being attached to them. It also helps in the grieving process of losing your last dog/cat.

Not crazy. Jinny talks to me all the time. She can sit, and look at me, and bark....and I'll know that she wants some food. And I can differentiate between that bark, and the "let me in the house" bark, or the "stop what you are wasting your time doing, and play" bark, or the "someone will be at the gate pretty soon" bark. I'm not sure if I'm reading her eyes, or the sound of the bark, or both, but I do think she'd like to teach me other translations of the bark, but she thinks I'm too slow :) She doesn't want to overload my less developed brain, lol. T

Same here..i knew what every bark (or whimper lol) meant. And it never ceased to amaze me when she knew I was sad or depressed. In virtually every single case, she would come up to me and hug me so hard that she nearly knocked me know (if I was squatting down). She wouldn't do this if I was in a good mood but instead would just gingerly lay against me. That my friends, I thought was special and it meant a lot to me.

lookout, sorry to hear this. :(

Thank you very much Sean.

Lookout sorry to hear about your dog. I have a black lab and he is one of my best friends.

Very much appreciated. I had one too (well mostly a lap but mixed with something else..in fact it was Sables mother). She had a heart of gold too. They are truly special dogs and as you can see above, I plan on getting one or a mix (hopefully mostly lab).

Hey everyone,

I didn't want to start another thread in here for the Charity ride that I'm participating in this year, so here's the link to the thread for further info.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/34940-2012-ms-ride-tour-to-tanglewood/

Thanks and Bless you,

Troy

Bumping this for those that may have not seen this yet.

Please help in raising funds for this very worthy cause.

Thanks again,

Troy

After months well actually years of my husband begging me to go camping with him I finally agreed to go last weekend. We were up in the Uwharries with prime real estate on Badin Lake. Took both of our girls and had a blast! The weather was perfect in fact a little chilly Friday night. Quite honestly I was bummed to come back on Sunday.

After months well actually years of my husband begging me to go camping with him I finally agreed to go last weekend. We were up in the Uwharries with prime real estate on Badin Lake. Took both of our girls and had a blast! The weather was perfect in fact a little chilly Friday night. Quite honestly I was bummed to come back on Sunday.

I'm glad to hear you had a great time! Camping is one of my favorite things to do. There is nothing better than being in the middle of nowhere without an agenda :wub:

Lookout

sorry to hear about your dog. :( It is one of the hardest things to deal with. We have two and they are our kids, so I dread the day. Sorry again bro

I'm late responding, but again thank you. The kind words from everyone really has been very much appreciated and again It means something to me. So, again thanks to all of you for them.

I know it's silly and I don't want to keep going on about this but it's been several weeks but I think about her every day. A bunch of times a day actually. Makes me wonder when I'll get over it but it's time to move on....but it's hard to, no doubt about that. I'm such a manly man am I not? lol

At any rate, I sure enjoy these early sunrises/daylight since I wake up around 5am every morning and it's nice to not have to wait so long for daylight. (plus it's cool to see the sun rise so far north and set so far north). Yet it's that time of year again where days start getting shorter. On the bright side, it's the start of the long march to the cold season, which I hope to god is better than last years. Unlike last year, where long before hand I thought winter would suck, which it did (only saw a 5 minute snow shower the entire winter), I have a better feeling about this next winter. Still early yet but just a gut feeling.

Great special called "Twist of Fate" on the tornadoes to hit NC in the recent past if anyone is interested. If you click the title of the video you can watch the others clips (2-4).

(1 of 4)

I'm late responding, but again thank you. The kind words from everyone really has been very much appreciated and again It means something to me. So, again thanks to all of you for them.

I know it's silly and I don't want to keep going on about this but it's been several weeks but I think about her every day. A bunch of times a day actually. Makes me wonder when I'll get over it but it's time to move on....but it's hard to, no doubt about that. I'm such a manly man am I not? lol

i think most of us with pets have had the same thoughts - it does take a while. i have thought about each of mine after they are gone for several months almost all the time. eventually it will get better and less frequent and finally you will realize that you have gotten past the sadness, mourning, and other not so pleasant thoughts and think of the fun and memories and how much love they gave you. of course our pets are a part of our lives, so when they are gone, even years later, i think most of us still sometimes get that 'loss' feeling or strong feelings of missing them.

Archived