gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
June observations and discussions...

ag3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I would say there's a good chance that EWR has at least 7 or 8 straight 90 degree+ days. Other than a brief cooldown into the upper 80s Tuesday...and who knows if that will hold. Nobody was really forecasting the heat today 5 days ago.

Models are showing too much warm air in the mid levels, looks like a prolonged heat wave with very little chance of convection.

Statement as of 3:09 PM EDT on June 28, 2012

... Updated - record high temperatures set at Indianapolis...

The temperature has risen to 104 degrees at the Indianapolis

International Airport as of 301 PM EDT. This breaks the record high

temperature for the date as well as the record high temperature for

the month of June.

The previous record for June 28 was 101... set in 1934. The previous

record for the month of June was 102... last set June 25 1988.

In addition to setting records for the day and month... the 104

degrees is the warmest so early in the season for the Indianapolis

area.

The 104 degrees is also the warmest in nearly 58 years... since it

was last 104 degrees on July 14 1954.

With plenty of sunshine left in the day... the temperature may

continue to rise and push the records even higher. The all-time high

temperature record for the Indianapolis area is 106 degrees... last

set July 14 1936.

Weather records began in Indianapolis in 1871.

Guest Pamela

it's gotten much worse over the past decade. there used to be occasions where knyc would have a warmer high than kewr, but that almost never happens anymore

This is true. During the 1970's and 1980's, Central Park readings were extremely representative of the area (as was snowfall). Somehow, over the last 15 years or so, KNYC has become unusually cool (particularly with regard to afternoon maxima) and unusually snowy relative to the rest of the 5 boroughs...

Guest Pamela

:lol:

temp4.gif

Really not as crazy as one might think. For some perspective, consider the summer of 1980 in the southern Great Plains. From June 23 to August 3...a span of 42 days...the temperature at Dallas Fort Worth Airport exceeded 100 F every single day, peaking at 113 F on June 26 and June 27. Just to the north, in Wichita Falls, the mercury exceeded 110 F for 11 straight days....from June 23 to July 3. The peak there came on June 28, with the mercury reaching an astonishing 117 F.

Today's highs. Despite the park falling short of 90 and being the media center for reporting, the heat wave has begun for 80% of the ny/nj region,.

TEB: 91

NYC: 88

EWR: 92

LGA: 91

JFK: 86

ISP: 86

TTN: 90

PHL: 92

ACY: 90

Gee what a surprise.

As long as dews stay low I don't think it will be as bad as the last round. How are wind speeds looking over the next few days?

This is true. During the 1970's and 1980's, Central Park readings were extremely representative of the area (as was snowfall). Somehow, over the last 15 years or so, KNYC has become unusually cool (particularly with regard to afternoon maxima) and unusually snowy relative to the rest of the 5 boroughs...

Central Park is a station that has the natural climate of the Northeast...it's forested and a bit hilly. I understand the ASOS has experienced a growth in surrounding vegetation, but that is a just foil for the extremely urbanized climate of EWR (which has ridiculous daytime highs) and LGA (which has ridiculous nighttime lows).

In any case, the high of 88F today, 2F below the NWS forecast, should allow Central Park to finish the month below normal.

Central Park is a station that has the natural climate of the Northeast...it's forested and a bit hilly. I understand the ASOS has experienced a growth in surrounding vegetation, but that is a just foil for the extremely urbanized climate of EWR (which has ridiculous daytime highs) and LGA (which has ridiculous nighttime lows).

In any case, the high of 88F today, 2F below the NWS forecast, should allow Central Park to finish the month below normal.

I think we've exhausted this one but most stations in central and NE-NJ (Elizabeth, Union, Middlesex, etc..) are closer to the readings at EWR than NYC in the summer of late. Probably rings true for mostg areas in SI, Bklyn, and the rest of the city as well.

I do agree that the park finishes below normal and slight chance for EWR as well.

Ended up just missing 90F, with 89.4F IMBY.

My temps here in Monmouth County are generally more similar to Central Park than the other NYC stations wrt high temps, but that's b/c I'm in a rural area. NE NJ and the majority of NYC is more similar to EWR than NYC.

Unfortunately it looks like NYC will be the sole station below normal for June. Unless through some stroke of magic they're actually hotter than progged the next couple days.

Ended up just missing 90F, with 89.4F IMBY.

My temps here in Monmouth County are generally more similar to Central Park than the other NYC stations wrt high temps, but that's b/c I'm in a rural area. NE NJ and the majority of NYC is more similar to EWR than NYC.

Unfortunately it looks like NYC will be the sole station below normal for June. Unless through some stroke of magic they're actually hotter than progged the next couple days.

Monmouth county is rural?

Archived