June observations and discussions...

ag3

11AM:

NYC: 81

LGA: 83

JFK: 80

EWR: 87

TEB: 86

The morning clouds likely had an impact on the temperature rise, as the 12z NAM already had NYC/NE NJ in the upper 80s-low 90s by now. Upton also had NYC with 88 degrees. Teterboro and Newark are close to the modeled temperatures but at least in NYC it's a bit cooler than it was supposed to be by now. How fast temperatures rise over the next few hours will indicate whether temperatures reach the modeled highs for today or end up a bit cooler, although with mainly sunny skies and several hours of warming left IMO there shouldn't be much problem getting to the forecasted temperatures.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The morning clouds likely had an impact on the temperature rise, as the 12z NAM already had NYC/NE NJ in the upper 80s-low 90s by now. Upton also had NYC with 88 degrees. Teterboro and Newark are close to the modeled temperatures but at least in NYC it's a bit cooler than it was supposed to be by now. How fast temperatures rise over the next few hours will indicate whether temperatures reach the modeled highs for today or end up a bit cooler, although with mainly sunny skies and several hours of warming left IMO there shouldn't be much problem getting to the forecasted temperatures.

I dont think it'll make a difference. Once the sun is fully blazing, LGA and NYC will go off to the races. 850's are way too warm.

They were -.7 after yesterday. After today I'm thinking they are -.3 and tomorrow pushes them to normal or +.1

They should have an 8-9 degree cushion to play with tomorrow. Tomorrow is a very close call. Day should end +7 to +10.

Newark is currently 3 degrees behind the NAM forecast so it will probably have a tough time hitting 100 now.

12pm:

NYC: 90

LGA: 90

JFK: 88

EWR: 92

TEB: 91

Here is the NAM for right now (1PM); running a little high. But not much:

temp5.gif

upton has 96 for my town this afternoon-BDR is at 85 and I'm at 88 IMBY--hard to see how we get to mid 90's today...you would have thought they'd cut temps by 3-5 degrees after the morning rains...didnt really clear out in earnest until 10 or so here

OKX will probably bust hard. Can't believe they released a Heat Advisory for lower Fairfield County...head indicies basically right at 90 and only a couple of more hours for potential heating.

OKX will probably bust hard. Can't believe they released a Heat Advisory for lower Fairfield County...head indicies basically right at 90 and only a couple of more hours for potential heating.

makes so sense-tomorrow may be hotter than today in the end...nowhere near heat advisory criteria here.

Newark will climb higher on the most 95 degree or higher days for June since 1988.

Should tie 1993 tomorrow.

Which is crazy, considering they are flirting with a negative departure month. Just shows how cold and wet the month has been, despite the 5-6 days of extreme warmth.

one of the HPC mets posted in a thread on the main forum about the new GFS having a wet bias, mainly when it shows widespread light precip. i would keep that in mind when the gfs shows rain for us

there has been discussion on that in this thread, most recently as yesterday

one of the HPC mets posted in a thread on the main forum about the new GFS having a wet bias, mainly when it shows widespread light precip. i would keep that in mind when the gfs shows rain for us

Euro has a little wet period as well from 4th of July night into Friday of next week. Waiting for the rest of the run to update.

But I looked at last night's run and it had .11 coming in this morning. And thats exactly what EWR got. I'm not sure any other models showed anything.

But overall I think it has trouble with convection, so it spreads it out giving everyone around a tenth or less when in reality some places can see alot more and others will see nothing.

Also, euro doesn't look hot next week. Looks like normal to a little above normal but the days with rain (if there is rain), could be a little below normal.

Mega heat is waiting in the middle of the country to be unloaded into our area by next weekend though.

But I looked at last night's run and it had .11 coming in this morning. And thats exactly what EWR got. I'm not sure any other models showed anything.

But overall I think it has trouble with convection, so it spreads it out giving everyone around a tenth or less when in reality some places can see alot more and others will see nothing.

Archived