• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June observations and discussions...

ag3

June's finals - one of these things is not like the others.

NYC: -0.5

EWR: +0.0

LGA: +0.7

JFK: +0.4

ISP: +0.6

New Brunsiwick : +0.2

TTN: +0.1

Yeah, although Central Park finished below, I'm counting it as slightly above normal June since the avg of the 4 NYC stations was +0.2.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, although Central Park finished below, I'm counting it as slightly above normal June since the avg of the 4 NYC stations was +0.2.

if they took the average of the real numbers instead of smoothed ones it would be closer...

edit...the minus departure would be greater with un smoothed numbers...

June's finals - one of these things is not like the others.

NYC: -0.5

EWR: +0.0

LGA: +0.7

JFK: +0.4

ISP: +0.6

New Brunsiwick : +0.2

TTN: +0.1

NYC finished -.4

EWR -0.0

I'm calculating -.02 as the exact number for Newark. But I guess it gets rounded to the nearest tenth and reads as 0.0.

Is there a reason climate report reads -0.0 instead of just 0.0?

NYC finished -.4

EWR -0.0

I'm calculating -.02 as the exact number for Newark. But I guess it gets rounded to the nearest tenth and reads as 0.0.

Is there a reason climate report reads -0.0 instead of just 0.0?

Nothing to sneeze about, just what's considered an "average" June across the area.

Heres the rest of the nation for June: http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/maps/current/index.php?action=update_daterange&daterange=Month

So has there been anytime the four stations fell slightly below while the park was slightly above? lol ...I think I'll count the park as slightly below at those times...lol...sounds silly but whatever floats YOUR boat.

if they took the average of the real numbers instead of smoothed ones it would be closer...

edit...the minus departure would be greater with un smoothed numbers...

June average temperature un smoothed...

1981-2010...71.8

1870-2011...71.0

the departure for the 1981-2010 average was -0.8...It was average for the long term since 1870...

June average temperature un smoothed...

1981-2010...71.8

1870-2011...71.0

the departure for the 1981-2010 average was -0.8...It was average for the long term since 1870...

I got a 73.0 average for June in Newark from 1981-2010...The June average was 72.4...That would be a -0.6 departure from the 30 year un smoothed average...

Lol. Central Park finished below normal.

EWR not sure yet. I think it did. I calculated -.02 and climate report says -0.0.

Overall, it was a cold 1st half and a very hot last half. And overall an average June temp wise. The amount of 90+ degree temps was well above average though.

Lol. Central Park finished below normal.

EWR not sure yet. I think it did. I calculated -.02 and climate report says -0.0.

Overall, it was a cold 1st half and a very hot last half. And overall an average June temp wise. The amount of 90+ degree temps was well above average though.

While that may be true, the same may also be said about temperatures below 80 and below 70. The number of days below that criteria was probably well above the average for June as well not to mention the low temperatures below 65 or even below 60.

we shouldn't be using smoothed numbers...They are not exact average's for the monthly average temperature...We are comparing an exact average against a smoothed one...I added up the 30 year period for June 1981 to 2010 in Newark NJ....The average I got was 73.0...The 2012 June average 72.4...-0.6 from the real normal June average...

While that may be true, the same may also be said about temperatures below 80 and below 70. The number of days below that criteria was probably well above the average for June as well not to mention the low temperatures below 65 or even below 60.

Can someone run the numbers and check?

Archived